AMD: R9xx Speculation

You got me wrong there. I didn't mean "just" in the sense of "not worth the bother", but "just" in terms of "not entirely derived from the NI arch".
Does Barts have any element of NI architecture (i.e. anything new, as distinct from Evergreen)?

it seems op used old nvidia driver 258.96.. you know 260.89 improves around +500-1000 points for gpu score..

3DMark%20Vantage%20GPU.png

i7 980x at 3.33ghz 3 months ago.

i dont know have you ever used gtx 460 but i do.. here my own tests.. just look at the difference between gpu scores..
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/441/desktop2010081602324922.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9367/desktop2010090902562856.jpg

I'm sure the newest driver helps in Vantage, the 5-series gained quite a bit recently from newer drivers too.

It would really be nice to see a gaming benchmark. I'm looking forward to seeing Dirt2 most.

I always figured that Turks had 640 SP and one RPE whatever that means. Barts would have 1280 (640*2) and 2* RPE and Cayman would have 1920 SP and 3* RPE. That seems to make the most sense to me anyway.

640 / 4 = 160. That yields a number which is a power of 2 right?

5830 was death after gtx460 came out(maybe even before :LOL:). Anyone buying a 5830 over a gtx460 needs to be realy misinformed.
The weak and expensive 5830 is actualy the main reason for the barts release first.
5830 was also released back in Feburary... yes it wasn't an smash out of the park but it was a filler card.

Hind sight... But 5830 would probably have been much better received/perceived and sold better had it been released at $199. I see a lot of "what's the best card for under $200", or "what's the best bang for the buck" type of messages in gaming forums. The 460 took that segment easily, even though the better version was above $200 initially.
Look at what happened with GTX465, it was in the same boat as the 5830.

Do not say you haven't been warned! :D

(forget about 6700 and focus on the Barts part in that post)
Well, at least it is reassuring to see I can still decipher all these hints/rumors and managed to be somewhat on target.

Always? :D

Both the 5870 and 5850 had preorder prices that were exactly the same price as AMD's MSRP. Well that just blew your always theory right out of the water. In fact, there was also virtually no price gouging for the first month or so of 58xx sales. Prices didn't in fact start to go up until AMD revised their MSRP to reflect that supply was so far under demand that it would be fiscally irresponsible of them as a business to not increase the price. At least in the US, and from what I remember also in the EU.

As to the :(, yes, that's absolutely a slap in the face that it's called 68xx. One nice thing for AMD moving to names rather than number schemes for their cards is that it's easier for them to obscure the fact that Barts would have been named Rv940 and Cayman would have been Rv970 had they used the traditional naming schemes.

Either way from everything revealed thus far, 68xx is a big FU to your everyday consumer. And I can only imagine every card going down the line will be similar in offering little to no performance improvement over the cards that they replace. Yay for PR. :p

I'm just waiting to see final performance numbers for 68xx in reviews. If it's similar to what's been revealed thus far, I won't be buying any AMD products for 1 or 2 generations.

Regards,
SB
I am not sure I share your disappointment. Assuming 6870 can deliver 470's perf at ~$250, it still reduced the cost of obtaining 470's perf by >~$50. What's not to like? The way I see it, it's another reset-the-high-end that happened with RV770, even if it is smaller

Comparing 68xx with 58xx is pointless if 58xx is EOLed at 68xx's launch. You compare amongst the stuff that is available on the market, not amongst an idealized collection of stuff that you wish were on the market.

Nice, Sampsa asked wtf was going on with the codename mess, here's what AMD said (translated by me as Sampsas post was in finnish)

"According to AMD rep, Northern Islands was the original codename for 32nm chips, but when TSMC cancelled the process, AMD had to change their 32nm plans to 40nm plans, and the name swithced to Southern Islands at the same time.
During spring/summer AMD GPU engineers however thought that Southern Islands before the original Northern Islands wasn't logical, so Radeon HD 6000-series chips codenames were returned to the original Northern Islands form. Apparently the naming mess has caused confusion even within AMD itself.

A simpler version (codename first, explanation then):
1. Northern Islands = Original codename for 32 nm gfx chips
2. Southern Islands = NI 32 nm -> 40 nm plans change
3. Northern Islands = Southern Islands before Northern Islands didn't feel logical
4. Southern Islands = Codename for 28 nm gfx chips now

Nice, Sampsa asked wtf was going on with the codename mess, here's what AMD said (translated by me as Sampsas post was in finnish)

"According to AMD rep, Northern Islands was the original codename for 32nm chips, but when TSMC cancelled the process, AMD had to change their 32nm plans to 40nm plans, and the name swithced to Southern Islands at the same time.
During spring/summer AMD GPU engineers however thought that Southern Islands before the original Northern Islands wasn't logical, so Radeon HD 6000-series chips codenames were returned to the original Northern Islands form. Apparently the naming mess has caused confusion even within AMD itself.

3. Northern Islands = Southern Islands before Northern Islands didn't feel logical

If that's true, it looks like AMD was indeed royaly screwed by TSMC. They ended up with 40nm Barts being way too big to replace Juniper and they simply changed the naming scheme. Of course since now they don't have any Juniper replacement, they just rename it or extend it's lifetime until 28nm replacement comes.

Well, for one thing, that fits what Charlie's been reporting.

If that's true, it looks like AMD was indeed royaly screwed by TSMC. They ended up with 40nm Barts being way too big to replace Juniper and they simply changed the naming scheme. Of course since now they don't have any Juniper replacement, they just rename it or extend it's lifetime until 28nm replacement comes.

Oh, Sampsa also noted that Juniper won't be renamed (at least this year)

They mention DirectCU for the 6850 and Voltage Tweak for the 6870. I am not very sure about the difference of the terms. I thought DirectCU is Asus way of saying "hey our card overclocks and overvolts".

In any case, weren't the 68XX supposed to NOT be OV friendly due to the lack of Voltera VRM? Is this still the case and Asus has just implemented their own VRM?

Just had a look at the TFE Agenda and it looks like the interesting beans will be spilled tomorrow.

9:15-9:40 "Northern Islands" Graphics Technology Briefing
Matt Skynner, Corporate VP and General Manager
Graphic Product Unit Division, AMD

12:45 - 2:15 Eric Demers, CTO, Graphics Division
Northern Islands Architecture Deep Dive

4:00-4:15 AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series Marketing
Casey Gotcher, AMD
* Product Positioning
* Product Brands
* APP Software
* Demand Generation for Radeon 6000 Series
* Q&A

I wonder if that Eric Demers presentation is under NDA - track4 probably is.

There is one obvious reason for AMD not to refresh the 57xx. They have no reason to price it lower (it's around 100€/$) and a rework as we see with Barts would end with a product less performant and sold the same price, a real scam people would be right to complain about.

Either way from everything revealed thus far, 68xx is a big FU to your everyday consumer. And I can only imagine every card going down the line will be similar in offering little to no performance improvement over the cards that they replace. Yay for PR. :p

I'm just waiting to see final performance numbers for 68xx in reviews. If it's similar to what's been revealed thus far, I won't be buying any AMD products for 1 or 2 generations.

Regards,
SB

AMD is not charity. They need to earn money. :smile:

On the other side the big secrecy about the new 6800 series is disapointing (are we in GPU cold war :LOL:).
I would expect at least 1 week before the release some oficial info on cards and positioning (especialy to clear out the new(old) 6800 branding before it goes on sales) on hardware sites.

There is one obvious reason for AMD not to refresh the 57xx. They have no reason to price it lower (it's around 100€/$) and a rework as we see with Barts would end with a product less performant and sold the same price, a real scam people would be right to complain about.

this is the same reason for the naming controversy - if you used the 6750 name rather than 6850 for the lower end of the new cards, you would needlessly cannibalize the radeon 5700 sales or perceived standing.

Back