AMD: R9xx Speculation

according to swedish website,sweclockers
that the XT has 1120 shaders with the pros till has 800.
frequency seems to be 775/900mhz

Radeon HD 6850 Radeon HD 6870
Kodnamn Barts Pro Barts XT
Teknik 40 nm 40 nm
Streamprocessorer 800 st. 960/1 120 st. (?)
GPU-frekvens 775 MHz 900 MHz
Minnesfrekvens 4 000 MHz 4 200 MHz
Minnesbuss 256-bit 256-bit
Minnesmängd 1 GB GDDR5 1 GB GDDR5

Smells like an epic fail. There is no way on Earth that only 800 SPs in Barts PRO can be at least as fast as the 1440 SPs in Cypress PRO.
That is amazing. May you imagine how many people will ask why the new 6800 series actually has less SPs. :oops:

Smells like an epic fail. There is no way on Earth that only 800 SPs in Barts PRO can be at least as fast as the 1440 SPs in Cypress PRO.
That is amazing. May you imagine how many people will ask why the new 6800 series actually has less SPs. :oops:

Just like people wondering why a 1.2 with Turbo is faster than their 1.4 petrol engine?

Also, not all specs are correct, but they are the best leaked specs so far.

But if 6870 (Barts) sucks and is slower than 5870, then AMD will have a hard time to explain why and they will lose a lot of sales.
Well, AMD is going to release a product with likely the best price/performance on market and they will lose sales? :rolleyes:

firstly - "Barts is HD6800? Noway!"
now - "AMD will lose sales because of Barts!"

Sorry, but this thread is not related to jokes, especially the bad ones...

I don't care about AMD ratios. I just want a performance improvement which allows me to play all new games in whatever resolution I set, I don't think Barts will give me anything more than Juniper did. And also, I want real DX11 games, many of them. Does AMD do anything in that direction or they care only about their finances. WTF? :LOL:

I don't beleive they call Barts 6800 series. Perhaps you miss my big "IF".

I don't care about AMD ratios. I just want a performance improvement which allow me to play all new games in whatever resolution I set, I don't think Barts will give me anything more than Juniper did. And also, I want real DX11 games, many of them. Does AMD do anything in that direction or they care only about their finances. WTF? :LOL:

I don't beleive they call Barts 6800 series. Perhaps you miss my big "IF".

Really.. you don't add anything to the discussion except you're laying down demands.

Really, without these demands, there is no progress. I am shocked that new games are launched and they suck because they support only that freaky DX 9. It's sad. And the question is: in what exactly will Barts emphasize and show something superior? In this price/performance? Who cares? Do you know how our firms in my country of birth would charge for a part named 6870?

Why do people assume frame buffer is only for high resolution, Eyefinity, SSA and newer games?

I just need to have a handful images open in Photoshop before maxing out a 1GB frame buffer and things crawl to a halt. Of course, I could work on less images at the time.

I didn't assume that at all, I just restricted my examples to gaming. I'm a graphic designer myself but personally find my sytem adequate enough for my use of the Adobe CS5 suite so when I get excited about what new GPU's can bring it's really only for gaming.

Really, without these demands, there is no progress. I am shocked that new games are launched and they suck because they support only that freaky DX 9. It's sad. And the question is: in what exactly will Barts emphasize and show something superior? In this price/performance? Who cares? Do you know how our firms in my country of birth would charge for a part named 6870?

So if it was called 6770 you wouldn't have a problem what so ever? :rolleyes:

Why does a name matter that much? I very much doubt e-tailers anywhere in the world are going to attempt to raise their profit margins by hundreds of dollars because it has a name similar to the last gen premium part.

What majority of people will care about is performance/features, TDP and price.

Just like people wondering why a 1.2 with Turbo is faster than their 1.4 petrol engine?
Except not every 1.2T is more powerful than every 1.4 NA engine, while it will be more expensive to support and more likely to "break"

Either way, if 6870 is not faster than 5870 in general apps (non-DX11), this will be a pr-fail for AMD, agreed?

Either way, if 6870 is not faster than 5870 in general apps (non-DX11), this will be a pr-fail for AMD, agreed?

No it's not if the price/performance is clearly better. There will be other solutions at the old 5870 price point that'll be clearly faster, which should make you super happy considering you'll get not only better performance but a bigger number aswell!1!

edit: actually that number ruins it for you even there doesn't it? :cry:
If there is a 69xx that's 50% faster than Cypress XT at the same price it's fail, because of the number right?

Last edited by a moderator:
No it's not if the price/performance is clearly better. There will be other solutions at the old 5870 price point that'll be clearly faster, which should make you super happy considering you'll get not only better performance but a bigger number aswell!1!

edit: actually that number ruins it for you even there doesn't it? :cry:
If there is a 69xx that's 50% faster than Cypress XT at the same price it's fail, because of the number right?
Obvioulsy, I don't believe neither in "6870 at the price of 5770" nor in "6970 at the price of 5870"

Don't see how it could go any other way. It would be more misleading than any nVidia rebranding and that caused a shitstorm. That's why I'm pretty confident 6870 > 5870 regardless of what chip is underneath the hood.

Device id should be accessible at very low hardware level (it is probably located in the content of a physical register), at least for PCI cards it is. I am almost certain that this is not the case for the card's series.
But you can access the Series string via WMI, and that is damn easy (doable via vbs or command line...). The only thingie you need is drivers.

Well, GPU-Z maybe correctly is reading device ID, but maybe the 6800 part is just a guess?
So, no need for guessing here.

...Why does a name matter that much?...

Where is Dave? He has to answer that question...

Do you know a company which has products branded as Mercedes Benz S Class? Do you know what will happen to their customers if they wake up one morning with the news that the new C Class will receive S Class brand, although it may receive characteristics very similar to the old one?

I'm not saying, that Barts will be slower than Cypress, but I'd like to remind to some persons, that many boards, which were marked higher (and scoring equally or lower) than their predecessors, were actually more popular by users:

Radeon 8500 -> Radeon 9000
GeForce 3 -> GeForce 4 MX
GeForce 4600 -> GeForce 5600
Radeon 9500 PRO -> Radeon 9600 PRO
Radeon X1800XT -> Radeon X1950PRO
GeForce 8800GTX -> GeForce 9800GTX
Radeon HD2900XT -> Radeon HD3870
GeForce GTS250 -> GeForce GTS450

With the exception of GeForce 5600 and GTS450 I'm quite sure, that the later ones surpassed their predecessor in terms of sales and popularity - mainly because of lower price, better price/performance, lower power consumption, availability and features.

I'm pretty sure, that even if Barts will be slower than Cypress, it will be more popular.

Really, without these demands, there is no progress.

lol, the specs have been cast in stone for a while now, do you think your demands are going to do sh*t? Silly boy.

I am shocked that new games are launched and they suck because they support only that freaky DX 9. It's sad.

And that's AMD's or Nvidia's fault? No!

And the question is: in what exactly will Barts emphasize and show something superior? In this price/performance? Who cares? Do you know how our firms in my country of birth would charge for a part named 6870?

It's been rumoured that Tessellation will be much better. I for one am happy about that. If the price is good then awesome.

Back