AMD: R9xx Speculation

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Till then 6870 > 5870. No need for AMD to lose their common sense approach to naming for absolutely no reason.

I lost a long post into the cyberspace due to my internet connection dieing on me when I pressed submit and I don't bother to write it again. Just saying that Barts with 256 bit bus and die size is a chip that clearly is better suited to being x8xx instead of x7xx regardless how it compares to the 5870. All it needs to be is priced according to its performance in the new AMD 6000 series lineup and there are no real problems. Currently AMD has a problem at around 200$ and hopefully Barts will take care of it, and when that happens there will be balance in the lineup. Soon after that, the people who have overly hard time with the numbering will forget the whole thing.

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Till then 6870 > 5870. No need for AMD to lose their common sense approach to naming for absolutely no reason.

Performance of $379 HD 5870 > $239 HD 6870, still nonsensical? (pricing randomly inserted from arbitrary look up table)

But we don't expect such thing. So, I still think it is nonsense.

No, this is not about "We" but it is about YOU
You don't expect it
You demand things
You think you know better..

really. you should leave the rest of us out of it because I'll go with Caveman-Jim's idea over yours any day of the week.

you should really lurk more, your FUD campaign is tiring me.

Both. ;) No matter what the performance is.
c_008.gif

No, this is not about "We" but it is about YOU
You don't expect it
You demand things
You think you know better..

really. you should leave the rest of us out of it because I'll go with Caveman-Jim's idea over yours any day of the week.

you should really lurk more, your FUD campaign is tiring me.

Maybe you need a time-out too? Don't we have enough AMD PR people posting here?

That price difference should mean a rather noticeable performance difference as well. But we don't expect such thing. So, I still think it is nonsense.

HD 4890 was $259, HD 5870 was $379 - 5770 was equivalent at best, sometimes less performance than 4890 - but $159.

If we expect two product lines higher than Barts (Cayman, Antilles) then $239 for last gen high end performance is a win, no?

If we expect two product lines higher than Barts (Cayman, Antilles) then $239 for last gen high end performance is a win, no?

I tried that, but last gen high-end performance at mid-range price doesn't go over well with the "they can't take 6870, now get off of my lawn!" crowd.

edit:

What if the 5770 stayed (for now) and they are afraid that sales would be affected by a 6770? Heck.. that would confuse a lot of people if they were both on sale but with a $100 price difference. Why buyt this NEW x770 when the old x770 is $100 cheaper? so the product line-up would be 56x0 57x0 68x0 69x0 .. or 5770 gets rebranded in 6770.

I honestly can't think of a good reason for rebranding the HD 5770. To become a 6-series card it would need to be feature equivalent (i.e. if there's new Eyefinity, UVD, display output tech, it should be on the 6-series card, too), and priced very similarly to the previous line. It should also move down in branding, i.e. go from 5770 to 6670.

To do otherwise is to be disrespectful of the consumer trust in the branding, which always ends up badly.

I tried that, but last gen high-end performance at mid-range price doesn't go over well with the "they can't take 6870, now get off of my lawn!" crowd.

edit:

What if the 5770 stayed (for now) and they are afraid that sales would be affected by a 6770? Heck.. that would confuse a lot of people if they were both on sale but with a $100 price difference. Why buyt this NEW x770 when the old x770 is $100 cheaper? so the product line-up would be 56x0 57x0 68x0 69x0 .. or 5770 gets rebranded in 6770.

But then what would they do with Turks and Caicos?

Performance of $379 HD 5870 > $239 HD 6870, still nonsensical? (pricing randomly inserted from arbitrary look up table)

It's total nonsense.

The second digit refers to the performance segment, which itself is tied to a given price bracket.

At the moment, prices are too low to stay as is, and you suggest AMD will drop prices even more on the highest segments...

$[200-250] is what I expect to be a "7" series GPU, something with 5850ish performance at least. Anything lower (not that far from a 5770) can't take this segment, and anything in the upper segment has to perform in the same range as a 5970.

Yes, it is. Firstly, model numbers communicate relative performance not only within a given generation but also across generations,i.e today's x800 part should be faster than yesterday's x800. The 9800 GTX broke that rule but performance was still relatively close.

I don't understand why you guys are so focused on defending the possibility though. Isn't the more important question why they would do this in the first place? I can't think of a good reason. Nvidia did it cause their 65nm shrink was just a shrink with a narrower bus. In this case we're expecting performance increases across the board from AMD. Maybe those people who have undoubtedly seen the marketing material already can clue us in. For the rest of us common sense still dictates that 6870 > 5870.

Yup, it's definitely getting closer to launch. I can tell when so many pages go by between the times I get to check the forums. :D

Why do people assume frame buffer is only for high resolution, Eyefinity, SSA and newer games?

I just need to have a handful images open in Photoshop before maxing out a 1GB frame buffer and things crawl to a halt. Of course, I could work on less images at the time.

Same goes for using the new DX accelerated IE9 in conjunction with games. I usually play in Windowed mode so I can browse at the same time as I play certain types of games. With Civ 5, I've had to lower some graphical settings (8x -> 4x AA) while doing this otherwise Civ 5 will eventually go into chunky mode. Going forward I'm going to start looking at 2 GB cards I think.

Don't see how it could go any other way. It would be more misleading than any nVidia rebranding and that caused a shitstorm. That's why I'm pretty confident 6870 > 5870 regardless of what chip is underneath the hood.

And I'll be all over AMD just like I was all over Nvidia if this happens.

Remember 3870? It was twice cheaper than 2900 and still was considered a hugely successful chip, which prompted Nvidia to launch 8800GTS 512.

I dont expect more features in 6xxx generation (only UVD3), so the major factor will be price/performance, everything else is secondary.

3870 also marked AMD redoing their naming scheme. 6xxx is continuing with the same naming scheme established and promoted by AMD since 3xxx. To arbitrarily shuffle performance would represent AMD deliberately trying to mislead and take advantage of their customers who have come to trust the new naming scheme since AMD up til now have been very consistent with it. And there is no indication that AMD is instituting a new naming scheme. At most it appears they may be adding a possible 6Xxx to the very top. The problem comes in if they are reshuffling performance expectations for each level without changing the naming scheme such that a general consumer will know something is different, even if they may not know at first what is different.

Not at launch

Please don't forget, that at until the launch of R9000 higher number always meant higher performance. Also family number was related to DX-support:
Radeon 7000 / 7200 / 7500 ~ DirectX 7
Radeon 8500 ~ DirectX 8
Radeon 9500/9700 ~ DirectX 9

Radeon 9000 was the first part, which broke both of these relations. It was slower than a lower-numbered model and also didn't support same DX level as the rest of the family.

The 9xxx series marks when ATI finally settled on using a generational category 9xxx in addition to relative performance within a generation xYxx. The 7xxx series they experiemented with it, then dropped it with the 8xxx series.

That said they didn't do a good job with it until the 3xxx series as each generation prior would sometimes contain rebranded chips from previous generations.

Hence why some of us have been particularly impressed with AMD's naming scheme ever since the 3xxx series. It makes sense. It does NOT try to mislead its customers. And its been consistent for 3 generations now.

If rumors are true, AMD may be throwing that all out the window. And consumers that don't spend time going to tech sites and forums (most of my gaming LAN buddies don't, they don't even know there's a 6xxx series coming up. They don't know until they buy a replacement card, or a new OEM machine.) will no longer be able to rely on consistent and well established naming and performance categories.

That would be a shame. But again, if 68xx is a significant performance improvement over 58xx then that's fine. I just have a hard time believing that's the case if the rumors of Barts specs are true and Barts is 68xx.

What is nonsense? HD6800 name or sub-$300 price? :smile:

A sub 300 USD price doesn't suddenly make a slower or same speed 68xx card, OK. That's what the x7xx cards are for. AMD have established performance expectations with and have remained remarkably consistent with it since they first established the current naming scheme.

If (bolded for emphasis) 68xx cards are in general slower or the same speed as the cards they replace in the 58xx line, then AMD is deliberately misleading their customers who are almost universally expecting 68xx to be a fair bit of a performance improvement over 58xx. Pricing it lower just makes those customers think they are getting an incredible deal. Wooo, faster card for lower money.

Either way your general computer gamer who doesn't frequent tech sites is going to end up losing. And if people that think everyone with a high end/enthusiast class graphics card read graphics card reviews, then they are horribly mistaken.

Yes, I realize this is a tech forum. And that tech is the main focus. But you can't ignore the impact naming schemes can have on the general public.

Regards,
SB

Maybe those people who have undoubtedly seen the marketing material already can clue us in. For the rest of us common sense still dictates that 6870 > 5870.

I think it has been hinted enough now that AMD will need to fit Discrete, Fusion, IGP and maybe even older products in the same naming scheme. you should care about the price and not the number.

Logic dictates that when there's a fundamental change, comparisons to the past are moot points.

oh.. and SB... AMD is consistent with it's naming scheme? Radeon 545v anyone?

I think it has been hinted enough now that AMD will need to fit Discrete, Fusion, IGP and maybe even older products in the same naming scheme. you should care about the price and not the number.

Logic dictates that when there's a fundamental change, comparisons to the past are moot points.

oh.. and SB... AMD is consistent with it's naming scheme? Radeon 545v anyone?

What about it? It slotted in perfectly. As prior to that there was 4550 higher perf category or 4350 slower perf category. The 5450 was at times almost as fast as 4550 and always faster than 4350.

Which makes perfect sense. It's a generation ahead of the 4550 sure, but it's also a performance category lower. The 5550 was the direct successor to the 4550.

I always thought it was assinine that most sites only compared it to 4550 which had a direct successor coming up, and generally ignored comparisons to 4350.

Regards,
SB

What about it? It slotted in perfectly. As prior to that there was 4550 higher perf category or 4350 slower perf category. The 5450 was at times almost as fast as 4550 and always faster than 4350.

Which makes perfect sense. It's a generation ahead of the 4550 sure, but it's also a performance category lower. The 5550 was the direct successor to the 4550.

I always thought it was assinine that most sites only compared it to 4550 which had a direct successor coming up, and generally ignored comparisons to 4350.

Regards,
SB

I'm not talking about the 5450, but the Radeon 545v :p

Back