AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by iMacmatician, Apr 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

Curacao is R9 270/X, whereas AMD list R7 200 series and R9 290/X only for OpenCL2.0

Though R7 265 is a 7850 launched against 750Ti. Then again I'm not seeing 285 in there.

2. RecessionCone

Regular Subscriber

Nvidia had to disable the L1 cache in compute workloads for all the early Kepler parts, but fixed it with a minor change for GK110B. I wonder if Curaçao is a similarly minor fix that allows OpenCL 2.0 to work.

fellix likes this.
  3. Putas

Regular Newcomer

It was stated that memory controller of Curacao was redesigned to support higher frequencies. As for Trinidad, maybe power savings are a sign of further refinement. Too bad there are no more prints on the chips themselves, fabs would be easily determined.

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

AMD GCN GPU Disabled Stream Processors Unlockable with Software

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...ream-processors-unlockable-with-software.html

5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I skimmed through the thread and unfortunately, no one has been able to unlock a Tonga GPU to 2048 shaders / 32 CUs yet.

6. Newguy

Regular Newcomer

7. ToTTenTranz

They used a 290X as comparison, which doesn't seem very "honest" considering the Hawaii chip is being sold in the 390X line with 5% higher core clocks, 20% higher memory bandwidth and twice the memory amount.

The Nano may very well trade blows with the 390X in most scenarios, though AMD will avoid that comparison because they're planning to price the Nano much higher.

8. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

Comparing it with a 390X, especially the MSI one would make the power efficiency look crazy good though.

9. AnarchX

Veteran

10. yuri

Newcomer

Tiran GPU was targeted at Q1 2012. It'd rather fit the 345 mm^2 SKU.

11. AnarchX

Veteran

The 345mm2 one is Cypress. If we take 12 months for tapeout to release for first HBM GPU - Fiji took this time. This could be Titan planned for 2013.

12. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The candidate die and interposer area for the penultimate setup seems most in line with earlier research and estimates for interposer area, being in the ballpark of 800mm2.
    Fiji seems to have pushed things marginally higher, possibly enabled by the band of unetched silicon that parts of the component dies extend over.
    The arrangement of the DRAM stacks also changed between the two versions.

13. lanek

Veteran

AMD have a "meet the expert" the 27/08 so i tend to believe that the date of launch rumored thoses last week is effectively true ( was the same for the FuryX launch. their was a webinar meeting at the same time )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Nice looking design indeed. Very compact and tidy. It could have used a protective shield on the rear side though...

Weird though, I would have expected a vapor chamber set under that cooler; AMD has quite a bit of experience with those and seem to like them a lot. I'm curious about the layout of those heatpipes tho, the two big flat fat ones are easy of course, but the thinner one on the left side makes me curious. It seems to be tucked in on top of where the voltage regulators make contact in one end, but where the other ends up I'm not sure... Oh the nerdness! :D

no-X likes this.
  15. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

A Vapor Chamber is not so good in very small designs like the Nano. You have a direct contact between the VC and the fins for heat transfer. But with a cooler this small, much of your heatspot on the cooler lies directly under the fans' hub. For an axial design like this it is better to move the heat to the sides where the airflow can take it directly and completely away from the card. That's my guess.

Razor1, Kaarlisk and no-X like this.
  16. ToTTenTranz

What makes you think it's not a vapor chamber cooler?

17. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Doesn't look like it - just that. Wouldn't be the first time I am wrong.

#2697 CarstenS, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Uh, I'm not sure I follow you. Vapor chambers are like wide, flat heatpipes. They're meant to transfer heat away from the central contact point; whether the fan hub is under the contact point or not doesn't really make a difference I would think (other than lowering the cooler's efficiency, since there's little/no air flow under the hub itself).

Btw, AMD used a small - possibly even smaller than the Nano's cooler - vapor chamber in the radeon 4970 X2 way way long ago now for the "downstream" GPU.

19. Nemo

Newcomer

20. Razor1

Veteran

hmm something isn't right there shouldn't Fiji have 8 ACE's? Oldly familiar with the review guide pic but different.

Nano might be a different GPU then the full fury?