AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by iMacmatician, Apr 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I think the point stands in relation to single player games. Sure you're more isolated from the real world in VR but the entire point of SP games is to immerse you in a virtual world and thus by extension separate you from the real world. I'm sure we all understand (and more importantly so do our partners) how disconnected from the real world we become when we play a good single player game. The step from that to playing in VR isn't really huge. And if you're on your own while playing - which frankly, most people are when they play single player games, the difference is basically non existent.

2. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

My reply wasn't a dig against VR: when done well, it's incredibly effective at isolating the user from the real world (quite contrary to cell phones IMO.)

Whether or not that will attract or repulse the masses, I do not know.

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I didn't really get that smartphone analogy. I interact just fine with other ppl while using my phone.

All the arguments in favor of VR seem to be based on how effectively it isolates you from reality. That could be the very thing that prevents it from going mainstream.

Btw, I don't agree that most people are on their own while playing SP games. Do people only play games when friends, family, roommates aren't around? I spent countless hours as a kid watching my older brother play single player games and my girl does the same with me now.

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I don't see your point. (No pun intended.) People around you are no more integrated into a game with phones than they are with VR goggles over your face. People around you are no less in fact still around you with VR goggles over your face than they are without them.

5. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Yeah, but you can't see them. Sound is (almost) the only way for you to be aware of their presence and actions.

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

So? If I'm gaming I'm not looking at them anyway, I'm looking at the video screen. :p

7. tabs

Veteran

I had a friend over to try my DK2 recently. He ended up playing Elite for several hours. We could still chat about this and that while he was playing. Didn't seem to be an issue.

pharma, Lightman and Grall like this.
  8. UniversalTruth

Veteran

UMC Enters Volume Production for TSV Process that Enables AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

United Microelectronics Corporation, a leading global semiconductor foundry, today announced that it has entered volume production for the Through-Silicon-Via (TSV) technology used on the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, the flagship GPU in the recently announced Radeon R 300 Series of graphics cards. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU utilizes UMC's TSV process technology and die-stacking to fuse HBM DRAM with AMD's GPU on a silicon interposer, enabling the GPU to deliver unmatched memory bandwidth of 4096-bit and quadruple the performance-per-watt over the current GDDR5 industry standard.

AMD's GPU and stacked HBM dies are placed on top of UMC's interposer that employs a TSV process. Through a CMOS redistribution layer and advanced micro-bumping, these ICs communicate with each other on the interposer, thus enabling the cutting-edge performance and form factor of AMD's Radeon R9 Fury X. AMD's silicon interposer with TSV is manufactured at UMC's specialty 300mm Fab 12i in Singapore.

http://www.techpowerup.com/214444/u...rocess-that-enables-amd-radeon-r9-fury-x.html

9. pharma

Veteran Regular

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-to-position-the-radeon-r7-370x-against-geforce-gtx-950.html

Razor1 likes this.
  10. Razor1

Veteran

Interesting, such a quick update, but this is where the money is.

11. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

It's interesting that Trinidad XT (i.e., Pitcairn) can easily clock this high compared to Fiji. It may have to do with the small micro-architectural differences, but it seems more likely to be related to design differences, and maybe even a process difference.

Do we know who's manufacturing Fiji? If it's GloFo, it might be why it has a different clock profile.

12. Entropy

Veteran

At those clocks, we're looking at decent performance. Market acceptance will be determined by pricing.

13. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

Still using gpuz after the m370x fiasco, though I don't expect it to be not a rebrand.

And still no full Tonga, either the apple or the 384-bit one on horizon. Hopefully the new node makes it before 2016.

14. spworley

Newcomer

With 25% more shaders and 20% more clocks over the R7 370, the 370X will have a big performance boost! But even assuming that AMD doesn't need to boost voltage to get to that high clock rate, it's going to use ~40% more wattage than the 370, putting it at ~155 Watts compared to GTX 950's ~90 Watts.

pharma likes this.
  15. Ryan Smith

Regular

Fiji is TSMC.

Alexko likes this.
  16. pharma

Veteran Regular

So this is GCN 1.0, DirectX 11.2a ?

17. lanek

Veteran

You are asking this for the 370X ?

18. pharma

Veteran Regular

Yes, just following current discussion ...

19. Razor1

Veteran

370 is Bonaire isn't it? bah too many code names/ numbers/ gens lol

20. tunafish

Regular

I believe the current 360 is Bonaire/Tobago, while the 370 is Trinidad/Curacao/Pitcairn. The change that justified the second codename change for Pitcairn was apparently some kind of manufacturing process difference, but it's still GCN 1.0.