AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

I think the point stands in relation to single player games. Sure you're more isolated from the real world in VR but the entire point of SP games is to immerse you in a virtual world and thus by extension separate you from the real world. I'm sure we all understand (and more importantly so do our partners) how disconnected from the real world we become when we play a good single player game. The step from that to playing in VR isn't really huge. And if you're on your own while playing - which frankly, most people are when they play single player games, the difference is basically non existent.

I think the point stands in relation to single player games. Sure you're more isolated from the real world in VR but the entire point of SP games is to immerse you in a virtual world and thus by extension separate you from the real world.
My reply wasn't a dig against VR: when done well, it's incredibly effective at isolating the user from the real world (quite contrary to cell phones IMO.)

Whether or not that will attract or repulse the masses, I do not know.

Yeah I didn't really get that smartphone analogy. I interact just fine with other ppl while using my phone.

All the arguments in favor of VR seem to be based on how effectively it isolates you from reality. That could be the very thing that prevents it from going mainstream.

Btw, I don't agree that most people are on their own while playing SP games. Do people only play games when friends, family, roommates aren't around? I spent countless hours as a kid watching my older brother play single player games and my girl does the same with me now.

The difference wrt the ability to interact with those around you is huge. With VR glasses, the only practical way to do that would be to render those around you into the rendered virtual world. With a phone, it can be a simple as rotating your eyeballs.
I don't see your point. (No pun intended.) People around you are no more integrated into a game with phones than they are with VR goggles over your face. People around you are no less in fact still around you with VR goggles over your face than they are without them.

I don't see your point. (No pun intended.) People around you are no more integrated into a game with phones than they are with VR goggles over your face. People around you are no less in fact still around you with VR goggles over your face than they are without them.

Yeah, but you can't see them. Sound is (almost) the only way for you to be aware of their presence and actions.

UMC Enters Volume Production for TSV Process that Enables AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

United Microelectronics Corporation, a leading global semiconductor foundry, today announced that it has entered volume production for the Through-Silicon-Via (TSV) technology used on the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, the flagship GPU in the recently announced Radeon R 300 Series of graphics cards. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU utilizes UMC's TSV process technology and die-stacking to fuse HBM DRAM with AMD's GPU on a silicon interposer, enabling the GPU to deliver unmatched memory bandwidth of 4096-bit and quadruple the performance-per-watt over the current GDDR5 industry standard.

AMD's GPU and stacked HBM dies are placed on top of UMC's interposer that employs a TSV process. Through a CMOS redistribution layer and advanced micro-bumping, these ICs communicate with each other on the interposer, thus enabling the cutting-edge performance and form factor of AMD's Radeon R9 Fury X. AMD's silicon interposer with TSV is manufactured at UMC's specialty 300mm Fab 12i in Singapore.

http://www.techpowerup.com/214444/u...rocess-that-enables-amd-radeon-r9-fury-x.html

A couple of days ago we already talked briefly about the GeForce GTX 950. Now all of the sudden rumors appear on the web about AMD positioning a Radeon R7 370X against GeForce GTX 950.

The Radeon R7 370X is rumored to be based on the "Trinidad XT" GPU with an active 1280 shader processors, 80 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface.

AMD would be offering these products in 2 GB or 4 GB of memory models. Screenshots that have leaked indicate that AMD thus is respinning the 270X with quite similar clock-frequencies as well at a 1180 MHz base and 5.60 GHz (GDDR5-effective) memory clock-frequency. Here are the leaked screenshots.

index.php
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-to-position-the-radeon-r7-370x-against-geforce-gtx-950.html

It's interesting that Trinidad XT (i.e., Pitcairn) can easily clock this high compared to Fiji. It may have to do with the small micro-architectural differences, but it seems more likely to be related to design differences, and maybe even a process difference.

Do we know who's manufacturing Fiji? If it's GloFo, it might be why it has a different clock profile.

Still using gpuz after the m370x fiasco, though I don't expect it to be not a rebrand.

And still no full Tonga, either the apple or the 384-bit one on horizon. Hopefully the new node makes it before 2016.

With 25% more shaders and 20% more clocks over the R7 370, the 370X will have a big performance boost! But even assuming that AMD doesn't need to boost voltage to get to that high clock rate, it's going to use ~40% more wattage than the 370, putting it at ~155 Watts compared to GTX 950's ~90 Watts.

It's interesting that Trinidad XT (i.e., Pitcairn) can easily clock this high compared to Fiji. It may have to do with the small micro-architectural differences, but it seems more likely to be related to design differences, and maybe even a process difference.

Do we know who's manufacturing Fiji? If it's GloFo, it might be why it has a different clock profile.
Fiji is TSMC.

I believe the current 360 is Bonaire/Tobago, while the 370 is Trinidad/Curacao/Pitcairn. The change that justified the second codename change for Pitcairn was apparently some kind of manufacturing process difference, but it's still GCN 1.0.

Back