AMD Execution Thread [2024]

If you look at total market share, back in the days of Athlon Intel was probably still higher because AMD had very little market share on laptops back then.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ighlights-monster-120w-tdp-and-64gb-ram-limit

The extremely high 120W TDP (for a mobile chip) and 64GB of memory start to make sense when you consider the sky-high specs Strix Halo is rumored to be carrying. It's not uncommon for outgoing Intel mobile chips to consume as much as 75-100W in bursty workloads, so a 120W TDP for a 16-core chip and a monster iGPU combined is very likely.
I hope the idle power & casual use battery life are somewhat competitive with my M2 Max 16” Macbook Pro, otherwise those specs are the exact opposite of a selling point for me… (I’d like to switch back to a PC laptop at some point, but there’s nothing remotely compelling at this point, so I hope these APUs actually deliver on their theoretical potential!)

No. It's had far higher over the decades, even outselling Intel some years, I believe.
For servers it's probably the highest ever. For diy desktops we don't have separate numbers but it's not a stretch (considering retailers like mindfactory as a data point) to say it's up there with the records, and outselling intel.
As a counterpoint, DYI desktop market is (significantly?) smaller than in the early 2000s

So even if shaky, the headline seems tolearable to me.

Last edited:
I hope the idle power & casual use battery life are somewhat competitive with my M2 Max 16” Macbook Pro, otherwise those specs are the exact opposite of a selling point for me… (I’d like to switch back to a PC laptop at some point, but there’s nothing remotely compelling at this point, so I hope these APUs actually deliver on their theoretical potential!)
I doubt anything is going to touch Apple M Macbooks for battery life. They seem so perfectly tuned for power sipping.

Speaking of battery life:

Snapdragon X Series chips cost only half as much as Intel Raptor Lake’s, with up to 98% longer battery life

The company claims that Snapdragon-based laptops will deliver 16.8 to 29.9 hours, depending on the screen type. To be precise, the FHD+ option at 29.6 hrs, QHD at 21.9 hrs, and OLED at 16.8 hrs. That’s respectively a 91%, 98%, and 68% improvement in battery life compared to the Intel Alder Lake-P chip.

There are of course a ton of question marks around how well this Snapdragon launch will go, emulation performance key among them. But Intel/AMD are going to be facing some serious competition if these are at all competent.

A friend of mine (an established reviewer with solid connections to AIBs) is claiming that -after MSI- XFX will no longer produce new AMD GPUs, they will just do demo cards for the upcoming RX 8000 series and that's it.

He claims the reason is the razor thin margins on these GPUs, even Sapphire is suffering, as AMD insists on selling the GPUs to AIBs at a certain fixed price while at the same time keeps slashing retail prices, which leaves AIBs with almost nothing.

Take this info with a huge grain of salt of course, only time will tell if it's true or not.

There are of course a ton of question marks around how well this Snapdragon launch will go, emulation performance key among them. But Intel/AMD are going to be facing some serious competition if these are at all competent.
Performance might be adequate outside of applications not requiring AVX/2 support ...

AMD/Intel CPUs are still going to be the only options for high-end gaming since many ARM vendors refuse to implement 256-bit SVE/2 support which could be used to emulate AVX/2 efficiently for games like Starfield and a few recent Sony PC ports ...

A friend of mine (an established reviewer with solid connections to AIBs) is claiming that -after MSI- XFX will no longer produce new AMD GPUs, they will just do demo cards for the upcoming RX 8000 series and that's it.

He claims the reason is the razor thin margins on these GPUs, even Sapphire is suffering, as AMD insists on selling the GPUs to AIBs at a certain fixed price while at the same time keeps slashing retail prices, which leaves AIBs with almost nothing.

Take this info with a huge grain of salt of course, only time will tell if it's true or not.
I’m not sure I find this credible, what else would XFX do? They literally only make AMD GPUs, this wouldn’t even be an EVGA scenario where could theoretically focus on PSUs or something.

I’m not sure I find this credible, what else would XFX do? They literally only make AMD GPUs, this wouldn’t even be an EVGA scenario where could theoretically focus on PSUs or something.
They do sell quite a few PSUs too, and you've gotta figure their margins are likely better on them as well.

XFX is also just one brand of a larger holding company, and from their most recent investor report, looks like they want to branch out into making drones and robots with a JV with the Chinese government (page 20)

If I'm reading the report right, 1/4 of their entire revenue was trading raw plastics, of all things.

Performance might be adequate outside of applications not requiring AVX/2 support ...

AMD/Intel CPUs are still going to be the only options for high-end gaming since many ARM vendors refuse to implement 256-bit SVE/2 support which could be used to emulate AVX/2 efficiently for games like Starfield and a few recent Sony PC ports ...
ARM V9 SoC with SVE2 is coming from QC with Oryon V2 core and from future Mediatek / NVDA products (targeting console and Windows)

ARM V9 SoC with SVE2 is coming from QC with Oryon V2 core and from future Mediatek / NVDA products (targeting console and Windows)
Is that 128-bit or 256-bit SVE/2 implementation ? The former is not good enough to attempt AVX/2 emulation but the number one performance killer so far is doing TSO emulation so it'd be helpful if implementations supported LRCPC/2/3 features just like Apple's CPUs for their Rosetta 2 translator ...

I realize that this might be overkill but it'd be helpful if implementations also supported ARM's TME (transactional memory extension) since games like God of War relies on CPUs doing a fault detection mechanism to support atomic operations spanning multiple cache lines which was exclusively supported on Intel up until AMD caved in with Zen 5. I don't have high hopes either way for anyone else seeing as how Intel mostly deprecated transactional memory functionality ...

Several presentations at Hot Chips 2024 for AMD:

Monday 26th August:

AMD Instinct MI300X Generative AI Accelerator and Platform Architecture - Alan Smith and Vamsi Krishna Alla, AMD

Tuesday 27th August:

Next Generation AMD Versal AI Edge Series for Vision and Automotive - Jeffrey Chu, Tomai Knopp and Sagheer Ahmad, AMD

AMD Next Generation “Zen 5” Core - Brad Cohen and Mike Clark, AMD

Back