AMD Execution Thread [2024]

no it's just SIR2017, iso CC, client part.

oh yes. oh yeeees.

"I am shocked, shocked to find selective benchmarking just to show winnings in the computer hardware industry!"
casablanca-shocked.png

casablanca-your-winnings-sir.png

no it's just SIR2017, iso CC, client part.

oh yes. oh yeeees.
Do you mean gaming benchmarks are much less than 40%? I could imagine they have quite different cache characteristics (see: relative V-Cache benefit) but from a “core” point of view I’d expect the kind of changes that help SIR2017 to also help most other workloads including games, so I’m curious how it can be so anomalous….

Also the rumours implied a massive peak raw FP throughout increase which tends to be an “easier” (but expensive) win on some workloads so I imagine the perf gain is pretty good there too.

If this holds up and AMD has a competitive V-Cache variant for gamers, this feels like an awful blow to Intel which would likely fail to clearly win the performance crown with Arrow Lake despite their 20A vs N4 process advantage…!

Do you mean gaming benchmarks are much less than 40%?
Oh no, gaming and JITs are things Zen5 is particularly good at.
so I’m curious how it can be so anomalous….
Oh it's not.
Also the rumours implied a massive peak raw FP throughout
The FMA/FADD part is bigger yes but that's an efficiency play, bandwidth is too undersized to use it full throttle outside of MIxxxC parts.
If this holds up and AMD has a competitive V-Cache variant for gamers
V$ is a year later at a gigantic premium.
They don't need it, not until 2026 really.
Intel which would likely fail to clearly win the performance crown with Arrow Lake despite their 20A vs N4 process advantage…!
ARL issue is that the big core (LNC) is mediocre and this is me being generous.

The issue that most "journalists" just blindly regurgitates super unreliable sources like MLID, without any secondary source. These days is better mostly ignore all of them, unless its either super conservative or just before product launch.

I still remember Charlie Demerjan and his forum, but he was way more cautious about his sources and info.... golden era

Last edited:
I could see AM5+ being a clever solution to extending AM5 into larger die SOCs. Apple can sure charge a lot for the Mac Studio, I'd imagine Microsoft and a few other vendors would be interested in that kind of profit margin.

AM5+ could be a pin compatible socket with AM5, that also allows for larger dies with more pins, maybe with more power draw. Single chiplet SOC with 16 CPU cores, 30 RDNA WGP, NPU, etc. Draws 250w? Could sell to someone anyway.

I could see AM5+ being a clever solution to extending AM5 into larger die SOCs. Apple can sure charge a lot for the Mac Studio, I'd imagine Microsoft and a few other vendors would be interested in that kind of profit margin.

AM5+ could be a pin compatible socket with AM5, that also allows for larger dies with more pins, maybe with more power draw. Single chiplet SOC with 16 CPU cores, 30 RDNA WGP, NPU, etc. Draws 250w? Could sell to someone anyway.
That's a lot of burned motherboards and cpus you just ordered. If the CPU and socket aren't perfect match the CPU will be installed wrong.

That's a lot of burned motherboards and cpus you just ordered. If the CPU and socket aren't perfect match the CPU will be installed wrong.

Yeah, might not be worth pin compatibility.

But that Strix Halo w/16 CPU cores and 40 RDNA compute units doesn't sound like it will fit into 160mm that the normal AM5 socket has, so AM5+ could launch this year, and just not be compatible with normal AM5.

so AM5+ could launch this year, and just not be compatible with normal AM5.
lmao no, -halo parts are never going desktop.
Chill out.

They're ~explicitly~ premium mobile wunderwaffen that AMD's been trying to pitch for a decade and no one was really buying until Apple did it.
And now it works!

Back