AMD Execution Thread [2024]

Very Efficient Ryzen 7 9700X Held Back by Power Limits!​

Silly to limit this part to 65W. At least give it the same 105W as the 7700X.

And you can see that it goes from 65w to maxing out the socket power to get a 20% boost, 2.5x the power for not much gain. And who knows what the longevity is running the chip like that, is your CPU dying in 2 years worth that cost?

The narrative that "power limits are artificial!" here is mostly nonsense by youtube channels hoping to stir outrage for clicks. We just had CPU deaths from extreme power density CPU issues, but being reasonable about disappointment doesn't generate ad dollars.

I do feel that enthusiasts / gamers kinda lost the plot.
There's little need to upgrade every 2 or even 3 generations for desktop CPUs now (since like 6 + years).
That zen 5 looks unimpressive next to zen 4 (which IMO was on the other hand a positive surprise at the time), will matter little for AMD or even the customers.

Exactly, I don't know why there has to be so much drama. 9000-series processors are up to $50 cheaper at launch than the 7000-series, and they seem to offer an average 11-12% performance uplift on similar clocks, along with lower core temperatures; this can be further tweaked with Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) tools like Curve Optimizer and new Curve Shaper provided by AMD Ryzen Master software and UEFI BIOS setup.

Slide27-1.png Slide44.png Slide108.png

If that's not enough for you, 7000-series are still available at even lower street prices, and Zen 6 should be released in 2026 on the same Socket AM5 platform.

Personally, I won't even bother with X or X3D variants, I'm very happy with my water-cooled Ryzen 7 7700 (non-X) which consistently runs at 40-50 C with 5-7 % CPU utilization during the same everyday tasks like Web browsing, where my previous Ryzen 5 3600 could run at up to 60-70 C and 50-60%. If yet-unannounced Ryzen 9 9900 (non-X) keeps the temperatures even lower at the same 65 W TDP, I will seriously consider upgrading.

Last edited:
And you can see that it goes from 65w to maxing out the socket power to get a 20% boost, 2.5x the power for not much gain. And who knows what the longevity is running the chip like that, is your CPU dying in 2 years worth that cost?

The narrative that "power limits are artificial!" here is mostly nonsense by youtube channels hoping to stir outrage for clicks. We just had CPU deaths from extreme power density CPU issues, but being reasonable about disappointment doesn't generate ad dollars.
I didn’t mean to suggest they max out the socket power. I'm just saying keep it at 105W. Based on der8auer's results it should get close to or maybe slightly exceed 5GHz which would result in a nice gain over 7700X.

Now if there's a reason they can't reliably run Zen 5 at the same power as Zen 4 that's a different story. We don't know, but that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of for AMD to drop to 65W for a mid-high end desktop CPU and reap the resulting negative press.

Last edited:
So is a 9700X offering similar performance to a 7700X at a lower launch price and only 65w? Is that what I'm reading here?

So is a 9700X offering similar performance to a 7700X at a lower launch price and only 65w? Is that what I'm reading here?
The newer 7700x chips are 65w also

1723176992578.png

But in a lot of game it seems to be much better

1723177127813.png1723177157360.png
1723177178498.png

My guess is AMD wants to position the 3d chips at a higher wattage and leave more performance head room for them to entice customers into spending more money. Also right now they are in a postion of well are you really going to go buy an intel cpu that will shit the bed ?

Looking at the chart the Intel chips with the new settings intel reccomends are still using 202w and 289w vs the 88 watts of the ryzen chips and performance wise aren't very far away from the amd stuff.

Attachments

• 1723177114202.png
    1723177114202.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 8
These are the AMD supporter edition CPUs. Pay more for no tangible benefit over existing parts while helping AMD financials.

Any idea whether desktop zen5 finally able to idle in single digit watts? Or the ryzen 8000g series is still the most low power on idle?

At least the 9700X makes overclocking useful again. It's been forever since I bothered with OCing but I don't mind it. There just hasn't been any reason since all the CPUs were being pushed so hard out of the box.

Seems like it. I think it’s fine. Most people in the market for Zen 5 won’t be upgrading from Zen 4 anyway.
The point isn't whether Zen 4 users have a good reason to upgrade, it's the minimal increase in performance in general after two years. It's just not good progress for consumers, no matter who you are. Outside of people with very specific use cases, it's just a disappointing level of improvement for everybody.

Heck, even if you're a Zen 4 owner, you should still want to see Zen 5 take a bigger leap. You should want progress to happen so that when you do eventually upgrade, you get a more impactful improvement.

Well to be fair we won't know how "fine" Zen 5 is until ARL launch.
If Arrow Lake is also disappointing, it wont make Zen 5 less disappointing. That's not how this should work. If anything, that would be the ultimate depressing situation for consumers, and a massive stall to what has otherwise been great competition and progress in the CPU world up til now. Which was a needed bright spot given how horrible the GPU market has become.

The point isn't whether Zen 4 users have a good reason to upgrade, it's the minimal increase in performance in general after two years. It's just not good progress for consumers, no matter who you are. Outside of people with very specific use cases, it's just a disappointing level of improvement for everybody.

Heck, even if you're a Zen 4 owner, you should still want to see Zen 5 take a bigger leap. You should want progress to happen so that when you do eventually upgrade, you get a more impactful improvement.

Yes it's disappointing for casual observers and "enthusiasts". People who actually need a new CPU probably don't care. Especially gamers for whom frequent CPU upgrades have been inconsequential for a long time anyway.

Yes it's disappointing for casual observers and "enthusiasts". People who actually need a new CPU probably don't care. Especially gamers for whom frequent CPU upgrades have been inconsequential for a long time anyway.
More over Zen 5 itself is doing great in mobile environment and supposedly will in servers, desktop is only part of the puzzle and can't be the full benefactor each generation.

But that doesn't make it fine. We should still expect better and it should be reasonable to say so.

By your reasoning, we could literally defend any terrible release by anybody ever. If the RTX5090 only improves performance over the 4090 by like 10%, would you say that's all good?

More over Zen 5 itself is doing great in mobile environment and supposedly will in servers, desktop is only part of the puzzle and can't be the full benefactor each generation.
I'm still unclear on where this idea that Zen 5 is great for mobile/laptop is coming from, outside the already debunked idea that Zen 5 is much more efficient?

But that doesn't make it fine. We should still expect better and it should be reasonable to say so.

It’s fine for people who actually need a CPU right now.

By your reasoning, we could literally defend any terrible release by anybody ever. If the RTX5090 only improves performance over the 4090 by like 10%, would you say that's all good?

I’m not defending anything. GPU comparisons aren’t relevant since GPUs actually have a history of significant generational uplifts.

Back