AMD Execution Thread [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure when they say 'low end', they dont mean something like GT1030 or whatever, but more like a 7600.
7600 has a $270 price which isn't "low end" by any means.
And anything below that is slow enough to be in danger of competing with some iGPUs.

And no, iGPU's are not threatening discrete parts like this.
Yes, they do. Which is why you don't see any new dGPUs below ~$250 mark. Everyone is selling some sort of old cut down salvage there because the margins against iGPUs don't allow anything else.

And anything below that is slow enough to be in danger of competing with some iGPUs.
I saw a new 12GB 3060 for $240 the other day I'd get way before I got a 7600...and I ain't exactly the biggest nVidia fan around but I know value when I see it.

Not sure what you're saying but that card was selling for ~$350 MSRP (x2-3 that in reality) while it was in production. Whatever it's selling now is stock liquidation prices which aren't really relevant to the overall picture.
Sorry, just trying to compare "right now current pricing" GPUs for value and the 7600 just comes up really short in that department. You can find a whole lot better at that price point.

Didn't mean to interrupt, please continue to bicker and I will practice being quiet. :)

In the discrete market, this is the new 'low end', as awful as that is. Point is, that's obviously what they were talking about. You always do this - you dont argue against the actual points behind made, you just try and weasel out of it by redefining the terms of the discussion into something more convenient.

The reason we dont see GPU's below $250 isn't because of iGPU's, it's because Nvidia, and AMD as a follower, have simply gotten greedy. You think Nvidia selling a cut down, upper midrange 4080 for $1200 is because of iGPU's too? Obviously freaking not. It's all just an excuse to raise prices. It's not because of competition from freaking CPU's. lol

We've been over this. There is no "new" low end.
No, we haven't 'been over this'. You've already agreed that you'd have no problem with calling a $1500 750Ti a 'high end' part. You have no ability to be reasonable because it would involve a very uncomfortable realization of Nvidia's pricing.

Of course. Because whether it's high end or not depends solely on it's price, not your personal vision of what high end is.
Thanks for proving my point. These companies can literally price products whatever they want, and you'll defend them in doing so.

You already admitted that you'd have no problem if Nvidia sold the 750Ti for $1500. You're not capable of being reasonable on this subject. Just because a corporation prices something a certain way doesn't mean it's automatically a reasonable price for it.

We all know full well that there are low, mid and high end sort of parts that exist regardless of the eventual pricing tags that are attached to them. You know that. But you wont admit it, because doing so would invite some obviously terrible conclusions about Nvidia's pricing strategy.

Silly off-topic semantic discussion. Low end is relative and subjective. You can have low-end defined by price, or low end defined by tier of the current line-up of GPUs. Change the conversation away from "low tier" to 'lowest price" or "target this level of consumer".

What's caused GPU price inflation isn't a topic for this thread.

AMD Q3 2023 results are in. Revenue is $5.8 billion. Up 4% year over year.

Data Center is flat year over year, and up 21% quarterly, due to more 4th Gen EPYC CPUs sales.
Client CPUs saw ~45% growth quarterly and year over year, due to more Ryzen 7000 sales and Ryzen mobile sales.
Gaming GPUs declined 8% year over year and 5% sequentially, due to weaker console sales. AMD says Radeon GPUs sales has increased slightly this quarter, which compensated the fall a little.

Their Q4 guidance is weaker than expected (6.1 instead of 6.4 billion). Overall, AMD still relies on CPUs to drive income.

AMD Q3 2023 results are in. Revenue is $5.8 billion. Up 4% year over year.

Data Center is flat year over year, and up 21% quarterly, due to more 4th Gen EPYC CPUs sales.
Client CPUs saw ~45% growth quarterly and year over year, due to more Ryzen 7000 sales and Ryzen mobile sales.
Gaming GPUs declined 8% year over year and 5% sequentially, due to weaker console sales. AMD says Radeon GPUs sales has increased slightly this quarter, which compensated the fall a little.

Their Q4 guidance is weaker than expected (6.1 instead of 6.4 billion). Overall, AMD still relies on CPUs to drive income.

So in their graphics division...

AMD announced plans to invest approximately $400 million over the next five years to expand research, development and engineering operations in India, including the addition of approximately 3,000 new engineering roles by the end of 2028.

Downsizing in China while increasing overall graphics R&D by moving it to India as well as increasing personnel. Basically like some other companies in the tech industry attempting to move as much operations out of China as possible.

Regards,
SB

https://wccftech.com/amd-ceo-epyc-t...e-over-2b-ai-revenue-2024-arm-pc-competition/

So, look, the way we think about ARM, ARM is a partner in many respects so we use ARM throughout parts of our portfolio.

I think as it relates to PCs, x86 is still the majority of the volume in PCs. And if you think about sort of the ecosystem around x86 and Windows, I think it's been a very robust ecosystem. What I'm most excited about in PCs is actually the AI PC. I think the AI PC opportunity is an opportunity to redefine what PCs are in terms of productivity tool and really sort of operating on sort of user data.

And so, I think we're at the beginning of a wave there. We're investing heavily in Ryzen AI and the opportunity to really broaden sort of the AI capabilities of PCs going forward. And I think that's where the conversation is going to be about. It's going to be less about what instructions that you're using and more about what experience are you delivering to customers.

And from that standpoint, I think that we have a very exciting portfolio that I feel good about over the next couple of years.

Dr. Lisa Su - AMD CEO (Q3 2023 Earnings Call)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back