Amd .09 Athlons equal more overclocking + something in JAN

Nyo_S23

Newcomer
ABOUT A WEEK AGO there were various laments about AMD missing a golden opportunity to shout its advantages from the rooftops.
The problem is that while AMD is technically missing an opportunity, it is doing it purposely, keeping quiet so it doesn't ruin the big surprise(1) in January. If you have two dog and pony shows in a few months, you lose the impact of the second one.

The whole thing started about a year and a half ago when IBM seemingly begrudgingly gave AMD the 'good' 90 nanometre process, and with a stroke of the pen made most of AMD's process problems go away. This meant reworking the plans and delaying the 90nm chips a Q or two. If you look closely at the record, you can see when AMD went from cautious to grinning widely when mentioning 90nm.

That delay meant the first generation of 90nm chips, basically a dumb shrink of the current 130nm chips, were 'late', and came within months of the second generation, due to be announced in late January. Make no mistake, the 'dumb' 90nm chips are very good, and if AMD ever published the power figures accurately, something it is blindingly bad at doing, you would see how good the things really are.

The problem is that the second gen parts are vastly improved chips. They will have such goodies as SSE3 and DDR2, but that most likely won't be turned on initially. This new stepping is the one worth shouting from the rooftops, and AMD will.

You can see the dilemma though, scream until people get bored, and then scream again when they are really bored with the message they should get, or sit back and wait. But I think AMD is doing the right thing here. It has a compelling lineup for 2005, and it intends to start it with a real bang. µ

(1) According to our server logs, the majority of humanity still does not read The INQ. While this is reprehensible, it does mean that AMD has a chance at surprising a good many people with the news.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20049

I think its maybe a dual core supplize. They have already stated that they are releasing .09 in December. Or maybe its their new athlon 64 surprise hmmmm

A horse is a horse, of course, of course..

SSE3? who cares? Like I really notice all the SSE2 speed boosts from the software I run today..

DDR2? Wake me up when it gets to 1 GHz or so.

Current 90nm chips do well on power at the speed bins they are targetting, they may now be able to maintain the same power at higher MHz, yay, if I want a cpu the end of next year some time if will be better than the one I buy today, what a news flash.. lol

Leave it to Ed to do a 3 page rebuttal to one of the rare instances where AMD is actually trying to sell itself.. lol Guess he'd be happy if all AMD ever said was, we don't really know what we are doing, but we are trying, please take our cpus off our hands for $1 each, please..

Right now if I wanted to make an upgrade AMD already has everything I'd want. A nice 90nm chip overclocked to high speeds with a really high fsb. And I honestly don't see that situation changing unless...
A. AMD or Intel can come out with something twice as powerful as their best stuff now.
B. Programs come out that require more power than the best stuff now. The most cpus intensive game I've seen is the new sims and while the fx-55 is the only cpu that can run it at 60 fps, I'm sure an overclocked athlon 64 with a really high fsb could too.

However, as things are now my current overclocked athlon xp cpu is more than good enough, and I am in bigger need of a video card upgrade than a cpu or memory upgrade. Of course, I'd want pci express, which makes me wait even longer until I can afford a pci express motherboard, plus cpu, video card, and ram...and then I'd want sli so I'd need a 2nd video card at a later point...hmm, maybe I could configure all my games to play well using a gamepad, and I could sit back from my monitor a bit, and just enjoy some 640x480 res with 6xAA gaming at 60 fps.

I think that poof was a little over the top in the cynicism department. All of the points he raised are kinda petty

1. AMD leaned on IBM for their 90nm tech
1. AMD is defensive when things aren't going well
2. AMD is happy when things are going well

DUH?

After reading the article the intent of it seems to show-up the original story more than criticizing what AMD is doing with their 90nm process. How else should they have acted?

Amd had .09 with IBM for a year the article said. New core features state ddr3 and sse. maybe they are adding more cache a die shrink equals to better overclocking usually. With the memory controller intergrated u getmore performance. What new features are intergrated, better branch predictions, more pipelines for greater speed hmmm????

Nyo_S23 said:
Amd had .09 with IBM for a year the article said. New core features state ddr3 and sse. maybe they are adding more cache a die shrink equals to better overclocking usually. With the memory controller intergrated u getmore performance. What new features are intergrated, better branch predictions, more pipelines for greater speed hmmm????

more pipelines??? :oops: :devilish:
That is what Intel is and its a dead end that way. Less piplines will be better and a better mem controler that can hold T1 command above 280(DDR560) at cas2,2,2,5 in duel channal would be nice.

{Sniping}Waste said:
That is what Intel is and its a dead end that way.
I think you're mixing the number of execution ressources with the length of the integer core's pipeline, cause actually, the K7 & K8 cores have "more pipes" compared to Netburst ones.

cu

incurable

Adding more pipelines will not lead to more MHz, but it will allow the CPU to execute more intstructions in parallel. Current AMD cpus have shorter pipes then the P4 cores. This is one of the reasons AMD cpus can not be clocked so high compared to P4s (but they still have the same/better performance).

The "Something in JAN" is probably products based on their strained silicon AMD and IBM just announced. Promising up to 24% faster transistors.

Won't make their CPUs 24% faster though, but might reduce power quite a bit.

Cheers
Gubbi

Again, quoting entire articles isn't cool, Nyo. The fact that you were too lazy to even put it in [ quotes ] is even lamer. Either pick a juicy part of the article to quote, or just provide a link. This is basic netiquette.

As for that *poof*, what crawled up Ed's hoo-ha?
"Make no mistake, the 'dumb' 90nm chips are very good, and if AMD ever published the power figures accurately, something it is blindingly bad at doing, you would see how good the things really are."

This really means, "Please clear out our Neanderthal inventory of soon-to-be-obsoleted chips!!"
This really means, max power figures for the whole line/process show the A64 relatively close to the P4Es, yet real power figures show the A64s to be much more frugal than Prescotts WRT power usage. (IOW, Ed should try reading some 90nm A64 or Prescott reviews from a few months ago.)

{Sniping}Waste said:
Nyo_S23 said:

That is what Intel is and its a dead end that way. Less piplines will be better and a better mem controler that can hold T1 command above 280(DDR560) at cas2,2,2,5 in duel channal would be nice.

I think the current athlon 64 memory controller can hold T1 command above 280mhz with those settings...sometimes, far from guaranteed but I think it's happened with a decent frequency.

BTW, what would happen if intel had all the things AMD has, like SOI and strained silicon? Typically intel has gained a performance edge by being a fabrication process beyond amd, but now they're on the same process, but amd is using just about every trick in the book and intel has yet to implement any.

Intel has strained silicon, it also has had its 90 nm process in full production for a sizeable amount of time.

I don't think the process gap is as large as it may have once been, but it's still there. Then there's Intel's 300 mm wafers and much better cache density, so it's not like AMD's circuit and process tech is putting it in any decisive position just yet.

Intel's strained silicon process is using germanium, so the difference here is rather rarified but basically AMD is doing it using just silicon.

Back