Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

Cost isn't really determined by the amount of moving parts, but by the materials used to manufacture, processing steps, energy, logistics etc.

I want to see a weird cartridge hybrid with SSD technology or something even better. The instant loading capabilities of a cart while keep separate save files within the game itself with the cheap to produce disc that can store massive amounts of data.

the SNES CDROM was to use a standard CD enclosed in a caddy, with a small amount of solid state storage for gamesaves and DRM.

it's sitting along my 3dfx Rampage, Bitboyz 3D card and copy of Duke Nukem Forever.

but here's the source ;)
egm_snes_cd_article.jpg

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/snes/history/snescdrom.html
some of the back story http://www.consoledatabase.com/consoleinfo/snescdrom/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm just gonna say this. The next handhelds will have either flash, ssd, or some other type of PM, but they will also have DDL. Handhelds are moving towards cell phones or the other way around. Eventually they'll be both in one system. The next consoles ( Not counting Nintendo ) Xbox 720, PS4 will come in two verisons.

Both verisons will have SSD/Flash whatever for games. They'll also have verisons with disc players in them for people who want to use them for movies, music or games from the past gen.

One verison will cost about $100 more than the other. Than again they might have a ddl only verison and a pm verison. What alot of people here think is that the discs we have now aren't big enough.

Thats true. We have heard about 1-5 TB discs but they haven't come out yet. We have heard about 400gig blu-ray discs they haven't come out yet. They might use these discs in there next systems if they are ready to go, but they might not be out by the time the next systems launch.

So whats on the table? SSD, Flash, maybe something else. The next gen will come on some sort of PM, we just are all here guessing. None of us know what it will be. None of us know what the big 3 are making for there systems. We could have Nintendo using Flash, Mircosoft using SSD, Sony using Pioneer's 400 Gig Disc. None of us know what there gonna use. The fast of the matter is, it doesn't matter.

People could care less about what PM there using as long as it is a PM. If 1 or 2 of the big 3 have a PM, and the other has a DDL only, there system would fail badly. I don't see why we couldn't have a Flash, to HDD That would get rid of alot of piracy and used game sales.

The problem is, look at the SNES/Genesis years, you say it would reduce prices, it wouldn't. You would see MW3 coming out and being the same price 6 months later. Some games you would see being the same price for a year or more. When MKII came out, the price didn't drop on it for 9 months. The developers are only trying to get the max out of there products. They'll do it with good games and bad games. If GOW4 and ( R-Type 7 something )come out they'll be the same price for months, even though GOW4 was downloaded million times more.

Look at R-Type on Xbox Live, came out 2 years ago, has the same price now as it did the day it came out. Same with alot of other games. All they care about is the cold hard cash. Sure prices will come down, its just a matter of how long does it take them do lower the prices on games that quite frankly suck big donkey balls. ( Lookin at you Too Human ) The next gen will have some type of PM, maybe discs, maybe SSD, maybe Flash, maybe something else, but the next gen systems will have physical mediums.

They just might have diffrent verisons, one with Disc/SSD/, one with SSD only. DDL is just an added feature. The problem is cost, space, piracy, used game sales. They can fix it all, just what direction will they take. The next systems will have some type of PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 40 gig drive would hold almost 6 games that maxed out the dvds in the 360. A 120 gig would hold over 17.
Here are 6 games:
ME2, Forza 3, ODST, FF13 (with 1080p movies), Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4.

I'd like to see you try to store them on that 40GB disc you're so adamant about.

Here are 6 games:
ME2, Forza 3, ODST, FF13 (with 1080p movies), Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4.

I'd like to see you try to store them on that 40GB disc you're so adamant about.

I can do that easily. In fact I've played all of those on my 60 gig drive(except for FF13 but there is no 36 verison with 1080p videos and i wouldn't play a piece of shit game anyway)

I can do that easily. In fact I've played all of those on my 60 gig drive(except for FF13 but there is no 36 verison with 1080p videos and i wouldn't play a piece of shit game anyway)
so you had them fully installed all at the same time and it waS less than 40gb? Remember that you're proposing to do away with the DVD. I'm not redownloading 20 gigs to play a game, even though I have an internet connection that can do that in about 3 hours unlike most people who buy consoles.

Keeping in mind that many games ship with multiple languages on disc (at least on PS3), this data wouldn't be needed when downloading a game (as you could chose your language beforehand... or worse, the publisher would). I know this isn't much, but it is still something.

I'm now accessing the internet connexion through wifi, which means my downloads top at around 120KB/s ro less, what should takes 5 minutes takes 1 hour, and there are cuts too.
(I'm using a secondary access point)

when you suggest DL would be fine, please have such an experience before - you probably have forgotten that you used to have to wait :).

so you had them fully installed all at the same time and it waS less than 40gb? Remember that you're proposing to do away with the DVD. I'm not redownloading 20 gigs to play a game, even though I have an internet connection that can do that in about 3 hours unlike most people who buy consoles.

why would i have them all fully installed ?

There is no need on the 360.

Keeping in mind that many games ship with multiple languages on disc (at least on PS3), this data wouldn't be needed when downloading a game (as you could chose your language beforehand... or worse, the publisher would). I know this isn't much, but it is still something.

Lets not forget that there is compresion .

The game can be compressed further for download and uncompressed on the hardrive.

Then you have things like true hd for sound

why would i have them all fully installed ?

There is no need on the 360.
This is not about the 360, it's about the next gen, which wouldn't have a DVD so you'd have so store everything at once. Even this gen, you get many games that are 15-20 GB and next gen will definitely be more since better gpu means more high-res textures. That's a far cry from downloading 1-20 MB iphone games.

This is not about the 360, it's about the next gen, which wouldn't have a DVD so you'd have so store everything at once. Even this gen, you get many games that are 15-20 GB and next gen will definitely be more since better gpu means more high-res textures. That's a far cry from downloading 1-20 MB iphone games.

Yea but why would you need to store them on an ssd.

You can do multiple things.

1) I believe the thread was originaly about using an ssd for each game. To crazy expensive. Mabye a flash usb drive could work. Raided up you can get some really fast speeds from cheap flash

2) You could have a ssd drive in the console as a cache with a standard 3.5inch drive for storage. Prob really expensive.

SSD's are most likely out for the next gen unless something really amazing happens like we find an alien ship and copy the tech .

However instead of an ssd just take out the optical drive. With all that space you can put in a 3.5inch drive and still save room.

3TB hardrive would hold alot of games. Over 60 games actually if they filled all 50 gigs of a bluray disc. 120 25gig games and over 200 15 gig games.

You'd just have to radicly change the retail experiance for people

Yea but why would you need to store them on an ssd.

You can do multiple things.

1) I believe the thread was originaly about using an ssd for each game. To crazy expensive. Mabye a flash usb drive could work. Raided up you can get some really fast speeds from cheap flash

2) You could have a ssd drive in the console as a cache with a standard 3.5inch drive for storage. Prob really expensive.

SSD's are most likely out for the next gen unless something really amazing happens like we find an alien ship and copy the tech .

However instead of an ssd just take out the optical drive. With all that space you can put in a 3.5inch drive and still save room.

3TB hardrive would hold alot of games. Over 60 games actually if they filled all 50 gigs of a bluray disc. 120 25gig games and over 200 15 gig games.

You'd just have to radicly change the retail experiance for people
Even cheap flash isn't that cheap for 16GB, especially when you add the raid controllers, so that's out.

However the problem isn't just about changing the retail experience, many people don't have very fast internet, or have it with caps, so nobody's going to alienate a huge portion of their user base to save $20 on an ODD. If full games are released on DD next-gen, they will also be on discs to reach the greatest possible audience.

Even cheap flash isn't that cheap for 16GB, especially when you add the raid controllers, so that's out.

However the problem isn't just about changing the retail experience, many people don't have very fast internet, or have it with caps, so nobody's going to alienate a huge portion of their user base to save $20 on an ODD. If full games are released on DD next-gen, they will also be on discs to reach the greatest possible audience.

Well i'm pretty sure SSD's were ruled out because of price in the second or third post.

As for flash. I dunno man. 16GB may not be cheap. But would you really need 16GB ? At the start of the generation mabye not.

As for retail , I was thinking more of my kiosk idea from another thread. Basicly a user gets a 32gig flash drive. Plugs it into the xbox next , ps4 kiosk in the store that is loaded with the gaming library. You put in the code for the game and it will trasnfer it to your memory stick which you then load to your hardrive in your console at home.

As for retail , I was thinking more of my kiosk idea from another thread. Basicly a user gets a 32gig flash drive.
If you're going to use kiosks, might as well plug a 2.5" external HDD into them because flash write speeds are pitiful, you'll be there for hours with flash. With external HDD's it will still take a good half hour if not more. Sounds like an over elaborate way to avoid optical media, which would likely to be cheaper. Just make the games available on disc and dd, let the user choose how they want it.

Back