Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

there's no need to talk about raid, the controller in a SSD already takes care of the multiple flash chips it contains and that pretty much explains why some do 200MB/s reading, others 100MB/s and a typical USB drive much less.

They're talking about some sort of custom packaging, not a commercial SSD HDD. As in, buy a bunch of cheap 30 MB/s chips, put them together, ???? and 200 MB/s.

It makes the most sense to move to a pool of internal flash memory and sell all games as a download ala the iPhone App store.

They're talking about some sort of custom packaging, not a commercial SSD HDD. As in, buy a bunch of cheap 30 MB/s chips, put them together, ???? and 200 MB/s.
This only works if you have lots and lots of chips.

If you want high bandwidth with low chipcount the only way will be designing and fabricating custom flash.

Exactly. Reverting to carts doesn't make sense for the next PSP.

next psp will most likely come with 32 gigs of flash built in. By that time i'm sure that 16gig memory stick pros (or perhaps a faster version ?) will be avalible on the cheap. Most people I know play games off the memory card anyway.

UMD will be droped do the the power hog and noise maker it is.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/sdxc-memory-cards-promise-2tb-of-storage-300mbps-transfer/

Usually, we poo-poo any new memory card format what with the plethora of options available today. But when a new itty bitty card is announced with a ridiculous 2TB (2 terabyte!) maximum capacity (theoretical), well, we're willing to make the jump to a new format. SDXC (SD eXtended Capacity) relies upon Microsoft's exFAT file system and stores more than 4,000 RAW images, 100 HD movies, or 60 hours of HD recording with a transfer rate of up to 300MBps. The first batch of retail cards will hit before March with read/write speeds up to 104MBps in unknown capacities, though certainly less than 2TB on day one.

while 1TB cards wont be around for a long time , in march we will see 104MBps cards of unknown size. Depending on price and size those would work very well for a 2011 console. 32GB at a 104MBps would be amazing

If a next generation console came out first with Flash, would that be viable? Say if it had a years lead on the market, could it get away with charging an extra $10 for games to cover the higher cost of content and hope that the other console makers follow in a similar fashion?

I would LOVE to see SSD carts in next gen consoles, but I have a funny feeling that Sony/MS are too greedy and/or shortsighted to do this,

Greedy? It's not greedy to use discs that cost dozens/hundreds of times less since it would benefit everyone more to do so.

Don't be so melodramatic, SSDs cost FAR too much to use, not just a few dollars

UMD will be dropped do the the power hog and noise maker it is.

Both of which you're exaggerating highly. UMD won't be dropped, Sony literally couldn't if they wanted to

Greedy? It's not greedy to use discs that cost dozens/hundreds of times less since it would benefit everyone more to do so.

Don't be so melodramatic, SSDs cost FAR too much to use, not just a few dollars

Both of which you're exaggerating highly. UMD won't be dropped, Sony literally couldn't if they wanted to

I'm not so sure.

Discs are very slow. We've had this discussion before. A 12x bluray drive would transfer at 54MB/s and be very loud and seek times would be horrible.

SSDs on the other hand are blazing fast and can max out SATA 3.0 . You can transfer at 250Mb/s and seek time is non existant compared to bluray. There are no performance losses for switching layers either.

If a bluray drive next gen costs $20 bucks thats $20 bucks they can put towards an ssd drve. Currently you can get 30-40 gig ssds for as low as $85 and 60-80 gigs for $200 with 120 gigs going for $350. That of course is with making a profit.

The other thing is , that the cost of the ssd can be passed to the consumer. You can simply buy another one if you run out of room.

In fact going with an ssd in the console my dream senario would be putting an ssd in the console instead of the disc drive. SSD's are 2 1/2 laptop drives. So the size diffrence betwen the disc drive and ssd would be great. You can reduce the console size. That drive will be part of the system and can't be replaced. However just like the xbox 360 you can buy an add on drive that connects to the outside of the case and you an store more games.

Now instead of purchasing pressed discs creating cases and shipping. The devs simply have to upload the game to ms's servers. It would save costs over those cheap discs actually.

The intial cost of the ssd would be included in the selling price of the console. The additional drives can be sold for a profit for consumers who need it .

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/sdxc-memory-cards-promise-2tb-of-storage-300mbps-transfer/

while 1TB cards wont be around for a long time , in march we will see 104MBps cards of unknown size. Depending on price and size those would work very well for a 2011 console. 32GB at a 104MBps would be amazing

for a 2011 console?

look at today's price an such a high end memory card, a 16GB "SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 90MB/s"
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00093853.html

it's more expensive than a 2TB hard disk with the same performance barring latency. let's imagine it doubles size and get cheaper.. it will still be priced the same as a 2.5TB drive.

for a 2011 console?

look at today's price an such a high end memory card, a 16GB "SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 90MB/s"
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00093853.html

it's more expensive than a 2TB hard disk with the same performance barring latency. let's imagine it doubles size and get cheaper.. it will still be priced the same as a 2.5TB drive.

what process is the nand made on ? If its 55nm well they already have nand being made on 40nm and lower. I believe intel intends to start using 22nm nand for its ssd drives later this year.

UMD's thread is here. The portables and home consoles are different platforms with different requirements, so it doesn't make sense to throw the flash media discussion for them all together.

I'm not so sure.

Discs are very slow. We've had this discussion before

Yea, so has Sony. Why do you think they still went with optical? (Cost)

If a bluray drive next gen costs $20 bucks thats $20 bucks they can put towards an ssd drve. Currently you can get 30-40 gig ssds for as low as $85 and 60-80 gigs for $200 with 120 gigs going for $350. That of course is with making a profit.

And only storing about 3 games.

The other thing is , that the cost of the ssd can be passed to the consumer.

Another reason optical was used.
Higher cost to consumer = lower sales from consumer
Both to the hardware and the games.

The portables and home consoles are different platforms with different requirements

Not really with PSP. It's in the same technological level as PS2/GCN/Wii/XBOX.

Sony still has the requirements of getting it to retailers (who have boycotted Sony's attempt at a system without a physical medium) selling to areas without broadband, customers who prefer physical mediums, customers without a credit card, customers will low technological aptitude, etc etc.

Not really with PSP. It's in the same technological level as PS2/GCN/Wii/XBOX.
And it runs its optical drive from a power cable plugged into the mains. :rolleyes: I reassert, this thread is about optical disks in home consoles, and the other thread is about optical disks in handhelds/portable consoles/whatever you want to call them.

Although I've probably read most of the thread I can't remember if this has been discussed. Wouldn't it make sense to have a default low end machine like the 360 Arcade with a small SSD, maybe 10GB? Then have an empty hard drive bay for expansion.

Unlike hard drives, the 10GB SSD would actually reduce in price over the life of the console. I think it's also big enough for any install this generation. If not, maybe it would have to be a 20GB SSD. Still, with an expansion bay for a slow drive it wouldn't really matter.

As long as that really small SSD was the minimum standard on all machines I could see this being useful.

Again, my apologies if this was discussed and I completely forgot about it.

So the cost of the game goes up, but the publisher's margin stays the same. When games aren't sold, they lose more per unit. Exactly how does this benefit publishers again?

Yea, so has Sony. Why do you think they still went with optical? (Cost)

Things are diffrent. Back in the day you have carts that were mabye 64-128 megs big and cost $35 bucks to make while cds cost 25 cents and offered 750 megs. Games like Final fantasy used that space for fmv (god i hated that change) But cds were good enough to last from the sega cd / turbo graphics cd through the playstation / saturn era and not only that but many dreamcast games fit on 1 cd. That is why piriating it was so popular because cds were cheap while dvs were expensive at the time.

But now we have the 360 and ps3 and visual diffrences just aren't there and games have stayed on dvd for a second gen.

And only storing about 3 games.

A 40 gig drive would hold almost 6 games that maxed out the dvds in the 360. A 120 gig would hold over 17.

Another reason optical was used.
Higher cost to consumer = lower sales from consumer
Both to the hardware and the games.

Last I looked the 360 has sold better than the ps3 dispite having expensive hardrive add ons. I would see it as no diffrent than this gen. You get a 40-120 gig drive depending on costs of the drives at launch built into the drive and at any point you can buy a larger drive and stick it on the outside. Countless people who had arcades or original pros have done this for more storage. Its no diffrent .

Bluray added huge costs to the ps3 and dvd added huge costs to the ps2. Why can't we have a large cost added again to the next gen systems.

Remember an ssd has no mving parts so it can actuall reduce costs in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back