Alien vs Predator - Requiem

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
Video on IGN

Anyone else seen the trailer? Downloaded the HD version last night, actually looks fantastic, might turn out to be much more exciting than the first AVP abomination. Looks to be really violent and gory, which is always good for these types of movies imo (though of course Aliens didn't need the gore to be a classic). Hope the rest of the film aspects are decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE

A friend and I were discussing this the other day, the sequel that is, and I was a little skeptical at first, seeing the condition of the first movie. But I was told they're intending to make this an R rated movie, which was the biggest problem with the last addition. You can't downshift an entirely R rated genre, in hopes of raking in more kids to watch your movie, it's just absurd.

Also, for once in my life, I'd like to see the Aliens win. No sight of the queen in the trailer, though. Thats a little disappointing.

I liked the trailer, but it's like they just spoiled who gets killed and who doesn't. :LOL:

It seems they've done right with the character designs and the environment direction. They even have the Ripley-Newt parallel there. :p

Looks very cool but im not a fan of overly gory movies so I hope its not in there just for the sake of it (ala Hostel).

I liked the trailer, but it's like they just spoiled who gets killed and who doesn't. :LOL:

Yeh, that did seem a little too over the top for a threatrical trailer. In fact, I highly doubt that was the actual trailer, probably just an assortment of clips assembled like the Rambo IV trailer. On a negative note, regardless of whether that trailer is official or not, it was a tad spoilerific. Not only did we see who was going to die, we also saw how it happens.

Thankfully they didn't ruin any chestburster scenes.

Ya, it seemed like just a trailer to show to people that "hey, this movie is going to be rated R. We're not using high-school football Predators on steroids. We're going back to the original character designs. It's not going to be like the first movie at all."

Hopefully, they'll release a more proper trailer soon. The whole time I was imagining the UT Announcer.

Nahh, just looks like another slasher movie with a load of teenagers getting hacked apart by Aliens and Predators. Why they don't take some of the Dark Horse AvP stories and use those is a complete mystery to me...

Probably the same reason that Hollywood tends to eschew decent writing for practically any film, especially Sci-Fi: studio executives are all clueless idiots.

:???:

Hehe, you should watch 'An Evening with Kevin Smith', in it he talks about when he was asked to do a draft for the Superman Returns film.
Some of the stipulations from the producer.
1) Superman should not wear that silly costume
2) Superman should not fly around
3) At the end he has to fight a giant spider

:)

Is there no one in the movie business that doesn't want to poo poo on well-established icons :?: :|

Why do people lay down such hate on the first AvP movie? So it could have been better, but it's hardly a barrel filled to the brim with offal, which is the impression I get from listening to some people on the webs..

Weird.
Peace.

Why do people lay down such hate on the first AvP movie? So it could have been better, but it's hardly a barrel filled to the brim with offal, which is the impression I get from listening to some people on the webs..

Weird.
Peace.

Well it's pretty awful compared to the other Aliens or Predator movies, and it's pretty terrible considering the canon stuff already in the movies/comics/books they could have drawn on. Considering all that rich background with interesting and intelligent sci-fi storylines, they dumbed it down to nothing but an inconsequential hack & slash that barely seemed to be set in the same universe as the source material.

Given how long fans wanted a AvP movie, and given all the great stories already written for both fictional worlds and even for both AvP together, to get something aimed at teenagers was very disappointing. It's like taking the Star Wars movies and putting Jar-Jar Binks into it.

It disrespects the original work and produces a poor movie several leagues beneath what it should have been.

Well it's pretty awful compared to the other Aliens or Predator movies, and it's pretty terrible considering the canon stuff already in the movies/comics/books they could have drawn on. Considering all that rich background with interesting and intelligent sci-fi storylines, they dumbed it down to nothing but an inconsequential hack & slash that barely seemed to be set in the same universe as the source material.

Given how long fans wanted a AvP movie, and given all the great stories already written for both fictional worlds and even for both AvP together, to get something aimed at teenagers was very disappointing. It's like taking the Star Wars movies and putting Jar-Jar Binks into it.

It disrespects the original work and produces a poor movie several leagues beneath what it should have been.
To be fair it is probably on a par with Alien Resurrection (which is not saying much). It did also try and put in some of the backhistory of the Weyland Yutani corporation, which is a big factor in the Alien stories and some of the AvP ones as well.
But I do agree that they would have been much getter going for one of the novels/graphic novels, rather than just pulling pieces out of them.

CC

To be fair it is probably on a par with Alien Resurrection (which is not saying much). It did also try and put in some of the backhistory of the Weyland Yutani corporation, which is a big factor in the Alien stories and some of the AvP ones as well.
But I do agree that they would have been much getter going for one of the novels/graphic novels, rather than just pulling pieces out of them.

CC

The only Weyland Yutani references I remember from the original AvP movie was the usage of the company's CEO which the Bishop synthetic was modelled after, but Alien 3 already went over all of that during the final scene. A few things I picked up from the trailer:

There's a massive rip-off of the famous ventilation scene from the original Alien, when Dallas' motion sensor is awry and he shines his flashlight down a seemingly empty section of vent, revealing the alien. The new movie borrows heavily from that scene with someone, who even looks like Dallas at a glance, shines his flashlight out a dark window revealing an alien, who then crashes through.

The marines seem to be using modern day firearms, completely nixing out all the science fiction weaponry of the second movie, the pulse rifle, smart guns, etc.

There seems to be some sort of hybrid alien/predator, I thought I noticed this then confirmed it by playing the trailer in slow motion. If this is the case, they've already sort of lost me by trying to conglomerate both the genres ala the way Resurrection made Ripley half alien. Actually that example was less of a conglomeration, but more of a completely stupid move made by Hollywood in an attempt to make Ripley the ultimate badass.

After a few viewings of the trailer, I have to agree with BZB in terms of this being a slasher movie with elements from both the Alien and Predator genres, which in turn could turn out horribly. From the looks of it, they've completely decided to disavow any science fiction elements that made the originals classic.

The marines seem to be using modern day firearms, completely nixing out all the science fiction weaponry of the second movie, the pulse rifle, smart guns, etc.

Yeah, I never saw the reason why they'd bring the aliens to Earth so early. It's a bunch of needless retcon when they could have advanced the timeline of the prior stories.

Heck, none of the DH stories (IIRC) ever took place in the present day, only the future.

There seems to be some sort of hybrid alien/predator, I thought I noticed this then confirmed it by playing the trailer in slow motion. If this is the case, they've already sort of lost me by trying to conglomerate both the genres ala the way Resurrection made Ripley half alien.
Well, it did show up in the AvP PC game... And IIRC it's just following the same thread as hinted in the novel - Aliens: Rogue - that the alien will show some type of characteristic of the host. e.g. sheep = docile, bull = larger/aggressive (moreso than normal!). Even in Alien 3 the creature was different and more like the dog (going by theatrical release), relying more on four limbs for movement.

Lastly, the humalien in Resurrection was a result of the Queen being some genetic freak... which itself was a result of being cloned with a sample of Ripley's DNA. And we all saw how flawed the cloning attempts were (which really don't make sense anyway unless during Ripley's impregnation, the alien DNA was somehow viral and automagically recreated the Alien Queen as if it were a limb with a mind of its own). -> I don't think it's fair to compare the humalien to the Predalien.

Yeah, I never saw the reason why they'd bring the aliens to Earth so early. It's a bunch of needless retcon when they could have advanced the timeline of the prior stories.

It's cheaper on production costs/scenery/costumes, etc. It's also what you do when you try to appeal to the teenage slasher/gore audience who don't want a sci-fi movie. Which generally doesn't bode well.

Back