Advice on water cooled PC *spawn*

Back to my case dilemma: I really want a back plate cut out on the MB tray and wheels...and room for clean water cooling...ideas?

a hole in the motherboard tray to give you access to the back side of the CPU for changing cooling solutions without having to pull the motherboard off.

Which tbh....is completely pointless.... Unless you're one of these that changes CPU every week then it's not really needed.

The cheap water block is still 6 times smaller then the stock air cooler..
Its total volume may be only 1/6th, but its height seems roughly the same, so it'll still block the adjacent card slot.

So I have no idea what your problem is but it seems your nit picking...
Well like I said, not blocking the adjacent card slot would be a huge advantage in my book; preferring to have access to all card slots does not seem like "nitpicking" to me, unless your definition of the word differs substantially from the norm...?

Which tbh....is completely pointless.... Unless you're one of these that changes CPU every week then it's not really needed.

Totally disagree as right now I have a monster HSF (Scythe) in my gaming rig that needs removal to change DIMMs etc and is a total pain in the ass to take on and off...

Its total volume may be only 1/6th, but its height seems roughly the same, so it'll still block the adjacent card slot.

Well like I said, not blocking the adjacent card slot would be a huge advantage in my book; preferring to have access to all card slots does not seem like "nitpicking" to me, unless your definition of the word differs substantially from the norm...?

I don't get what you're problem is...

- My water block uses 2 slots just like the stock cooler
- My water block being smaller meens air flow around the PCB is much better
- Temperature in the case is reduced over the stock cooler
- Motherboards are designed to take dual, 2 slots cards anyway
- Alot of AMD cards have double stacked DVI blocks ( My 5850's included) so even using a single slot block you still wouldn't be able to use all available slots
- All dual slot cards have dual PCI brackets so moving to a single slot cooler you would still not be able to use all the slots unless you want to go and spend even more money on single PCI conversion brackets.

As I said you are talking nonsense as water or air cooled, You still get the same problems.

Yeah. the Cosmos II would fit the ticket easily...room for 47 radiators, 855 hard drives, etc. :)
I wouldn't mind a TJ11 either but $650 for a case is just silly.

Why don't more cases have wheels? So nice to roll it out from under the desk when I need to do something...

I don't change DIMMs too often almighty, but I bought one of those Sabertooth Armor Asus motherboards with the 50 mm fan and now the fan is making some noise and I can't change it without removing my HSF :(

Yeah. the Cosmos II would fit the ticket easily...room for 47 radiators, 855 hard drives, etc. :)
I wouldn't mind a TJ11 either but $650 for a case is just silly.

Why don't more cases have wheels? So nice to roll it out from under the desk when I need to do something...

I don't change DIMMs too often almighty, but I bought one of those Sabertooth Armor Asus motherboards with the 50 mm fan and now the fan is making some noise and I can't change it without removing my HSF :(

Buy a normal Cosmos S, Best bang for Buck water cooling case there is IMO... And it actually slides very easily due to the bottom rails.

I have the P67 Sabertooth and I've never seen the need to use the 50mm fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was out shopping (needed a toner cartridge and paper) so I walked out of Microcenter with the Cosmos II. They didn't have the S and I have 30 days to return it (I love that about Microcenter).

This thing is insanely huge. It's an amazing case. It's easy to work on because you can practically climb inside :) Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can rearrange my printer/peripheral shelves to put the case next to my desk. Trouble is that it doesn't slid on the floor at all - too heavy - so access would be a pain.

Although if I put my shelves on the other side of the desk...hmmm.

Well I was out shopping (needed a toner cartridge and paper) so I walked out of Microcenter with the Cosmos II. They didn't have the S and I have 30 days to return it (I love that about Microcenter).

This thing is insanely huge. It's an amazing case. It's easy to work on because you can practically climb inside :) Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can rearrange my printer/peripheral shelves to put the case next to my desk. Trouble is that it doesn't slid on the floor at all - too heavy - so access would be a pain.

Although if I put my shelves on the other side of the desk...hmmm.

So what's the situation over there? Did you keep it?, build something in it already?, pics? :)

So what's the situation over there? Did you keep it?, build something in it already?, pics? :)

Kept it. Bought a bunch of Gentle Typhoon AP-15s, picked a CPU block and 2 radiators but need to order them...this is a slow build :)

It will have a slim 360 radiator up top (black ice) with 3x pull, 2x push (space limitation) and a push pull fatty 240 down below (xspc). Swiftly pump or maybe dual pump. Koolance CPU-370 CPU block and then the tricky part...I have 2 580s now but could likely have 1 7970 come April if Kepler doesn't wow. I'd likely go full block as I hate ramsinks (even though almighty says I don't need them). If I keep the 580s it will be EK blocks...

even though almighty says I don't need them

RAM sink no, VRM sinks yes :p

Sell the 580's while there still worth a decent amount of cash, Come keplars release and 7000 series price drops you'll lose quite a bit of money on them.

That would leave me with a single 6970 (gave one away). Computers are not an investment for me, but an expense :) I suppose I could buy a single 7970 for now...

I suppose I could buy a single 7970 for now...

Single 7970.... Adaptive super sample anti-aliasing enabled in the CCC as well for super sexy anti-aliased transparent/alpha objects.

144a53ec_Crysison17970.jpeg

94d36c8d_Crysison17970with4xAA.jpeg

I've seen them pull over 100fps with 70fps+ minimum at 1080p with 8xMSAA in crossfire...

So it begs the question, Why haven't you got one already?

Back