ADSL help

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
(again, yes...)

I have some questions that i need to be answered, and what better place than the software forum, so full of life... errr...

Anyway...

1)I put my PC on the DMZ and i got a huge boost from torrent downloads and some websites work much better too. I understand it is a security threat ( i got a warning saying my PC is now open to hackers). Thing is, i have good firewall protection and Norton and whatever, so i'm not sure how really open i am now. The difference is really huge, files that would download at 1KB now download at 200KB, and all after "demilitarising" my PC.....

2)Also, i keep getting disconnected, as you guys know, and i really don't know what to do anymore, the line is just fine. I'll try to see if it's a driver issue with the router/modem but i'm not even sure it came with a CD, the thing just worked.

3)Oh, i was trying to change the MTU to 1500 (as i was advised), but whatever registry tweak i use, whatever optimiser program i use, it doesn't seem to work, my MTU is stuck at 1454 or something. I was told that i need to put it on 1500 for optimal throughput...

Any help???

1) Lowering your shields is not a good idea, especially on broadband. There are lots of script kiddies out there and zombie computers just port scanning away at IP ranges. A simple firewall is unlikely to deter a focused and skilled attack, but they help screen off the fluff attempts at trashing your PC "for free".

The reason you are seeing better throughput with Bittorrent is that it uses multiple connections to pool transfers, thereby increasing throughput. When you make the initial connection you handshake with the 'seed' and then the torrent takes it from there, opening more connections to satureate your download rate, and opening more connections out to satisfy the download requirements of others. If your firewall does not recognize these new connections as legitimate they will be blocked and, as a result, you receive a lowered download rate (twofold: fewer connections open and BT uses a give-take recipe whereby you get more down the more you offer up. Of course this happens in a staircase fashion so you should normally not be greatly affected). I do not have problems saturating my download rate (lowly 512Mbit) through my ADSL gateway.

2) Disconnections can happen for various reasons. This also depends on how you are connected protocol-wise. If you are using PPPoA (PPP over ATM) or PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) you are most likley making a 'dial-in' connection and these need to be refreshed. Typically a PPPoE connection will require 'dialling' software on the PC and will only establish a connection to the ISP when needed. PPPoA has a similar idea, but there is no dialling software associated with it. Most gateways/modems have an option to 'keep connection alive' whereby it will automatically dial and maintain the connection every so often (also definable).

Another problem you may be having is with hackers. Certain models of gateways (with a certain software/firmware) tend to disconnect if they are pounded on by a port scan. This will make the connection reset or other strange things may happen, forcing you to reset your modem. It would be useful if you stated your gateway, any network equipment you are using alongside it, and any software then may be involved (especially if you are using a dialler).

3) If I were you I would leave that MTU well enough alone. Many people have got it in their head that changing this value increases their network performance (in various scenarios). Most of these peole don't really understand what they are doing so they simply repeat this tweak. The Windows default should be fine unless you are operating in unusual circumstances. Changing the MTU is really only useful if you change the MTU of the entire network to match. MTU has to do with how large segments of data are allowed to be and there are tradeoffs to having large packets. That said, the Internet, being a gigantic network, is more or less set on "auto". 1500 is actually outside the original TCP/IP spec, but it is a simpler number to remember and this number is negotiated along the route anyways. Changing it on your PC is unlikely to have any effect unless the network is designed to operate "way out of wack"(tm) and you need to follow suit.

Basically, your lovely ADSL connection should work with zero configuration from your side. It should call in, get its configuration data from the DHCP, and give you a smooth ride. It obviously isn't and you sound sure that your physical connection is fine so youshould provide some information about the hardware in use and any connection methods (ie: what gateway are you using? what configuration have you made to it? what firmware is it using? are you using WiFi? etc, etc).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that if you are using PPPoE then you definitely do not want to mess around with MTUs unless the ISP is telling you to set a very certain value. More generally, a large MTU can decrease performance because you start at the top (1500, for example) and if that packet segment length is deemed too long it will begin negotiating down until it reaches a successful size, wasting transfer time. There is so much more to this and even some truths are actually lies, but we need to screen off reality to make it manageable. Furthermore, are you changing MTU on the PC or on the gateway/modem? If you change it on your Windows PC, for example, and not your modem, you would be talking 1500 the distance between the PC and modem, and, perhaps, 1498 between the modem and the ISP. This means all packets must be resegmented by the gateway and...well, that should be fine and normal, but you never know.

You should't put your PC in the DMZ - you should map the relevent bittorrent port ranges through the firewall to your machine.

If your're running bittorrent and finding that you are getting lots of resets, it might be that your modem/router can't handle that many incoming connections all at once. You should probably switch to a client that allows you to limit the number of connections in order to lessen the impact.

Ok so no DMZ, but that was the easier way to get an impact on downloads, it doens't seem too easy to do what you say, since i have no idea what i'm doing half the time... But i'll certainly will have a go.

Putting your machine in DMZ effectively disables the NAT/firewalling of your router. The reason why you get better downloads is because the firewall is what is stopping the connection attempts from other bittorrent clients. What you need to do is look for a setting for port forwarding in your router, and then just forward the range of ports you need to your bittorrent machine's LAN address. This will have the same effect as DMZ, but only for the ports that you need it for.

It's usually really obvious because most routers nowadays have a nice little web interface that you connect to where all this stuff is clearly labelled.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Putting your machine in DMZ effectively disables the NAT/firewalling of your router. The reason why you get better downloads is because the firewall is what is stopping the connection attempts from other bittorrent clients. What you need to do is look for a setting for port forwarding in your router, and then just forward the range of ports you need to your bittorrent machine's LAN address. This will have the same effect as DMZ, but only for the ports that you need it for.

It's usually really obvious because most routers nowadays have a nice little web interface that you connect to where all this stuff is clearly labelled.

Perfect, that's where i was getting to, my router (A Belkin modem-router one, pretty standard) has a browser-based config, and i've been looking ALL OVER for port forwarding settings, which is what i wanted to do originally, but i just can't find them. So i resorted to DMZ.... :oops:
What if i send you some PrintScreen images of the setup page, would u be able to pick it up from there? Cause i couldn't....

What's the model number? There's probably more obvious info on their website, especially if they have a downloadable manual.

I'll have to check when i get home, but it's their standard wireless modem/router 802/11g. I'm not connected wirelessly by the way.

Okay, what you're after is under "Firewall -> Virtual Servers". It's not obvious whether you can do ranges, in which case you may need to make sure that you are using a bittorrent client that can restrict itself to one port rather than using a range. It's on page 35 of this manual.

There are also clients out there that can handle traversal across UP&P routers.

If you're going to mess with firmware, make sure you don't accidentally use the firmware for the Aussie version of this modem.

Okay, what you're after is under "Firewall -> Virtual Servers". It's not obvious whether you can do ranges, in which case you may need to make sure that you are using a bittorrent client that can restrict itself to one port rather than using a range. It's on page 35 of this manual.

There are also clients out there that can handle traversal across UP&P routers.

If you're going to mess with firmware, make sure you don't accidentally use the firmware for the Aussie version of this modem.

Cheers thanks a lot for your help!

L-B,

If you use Azureus for your torrenting needs, you only need to open the default port, 6881 I believe (or whatever you choose in the config menu really), so your router doesn't need to handle ranges. That said, I would recommend you dump that Belkin thing, as the firewall quality is likely to be dubious at best. I use DLink DSL-300T modem and DI-604 router, and that firewall is guuuudd. It can do everything you need.

Open up the port in the port forwarding section of the firmware and maybe list bittorrent's 6881 port as a "special application" too, and you should see your yellow not so smiley face in Azureus go green and happy. That means everything's A-OK.

Guden Oden said:
L-B,

If you use Azureus for your torrenting needs, you only need to open the default port, 6881 I believe (or whatever you choose in the config menu really), so your router doesn't need to handle ranges.

That's correct. ;) My 2 cents ;)

hupfinsgack said:
Guden Oden said:
L-B,

If you use Azureus for your torrenting needs, you only need to open the default port, 6881 I believe (or whatever you choose in the config menu really), so your router doesn't need to handle ranges.

That's correct. ;) My 2 cents ;)
Piece-o-advice, set Azureus to a different port than the default one and don't use any near it...I use something like port 70000.

Many ISPs monitor the default bit torrent ports and those near it.... ;)

Well, my ISP doesn't impose on my torrenting, I downloaded last week's episode of Enterprise at circa 700kb/sec. :D

Damn, why do they "always" cast Robert Foxworth as badguys in Trek? He's such a cool guy, I'd like to see more of him! :p

Back