Adrian Newey Leaves McLaren...

:oops: too.

It should be interesting also because RB will have Ferrari engines.
I wonder if he'll be responsible only for the chassis, or also for designing other parts eg. gearbox ?

atlantis said:
:oops: too.

It should be interesting also because RB will have Ferrari engines.
I wonder if he'll be responsible only for the chassis, or also for designing other parts eg. gearbox ?

Only chassis, of course. Designing a gearbox is a totally different kind of beast :)

Does Villeneuve drive for RB next year?

_xxx_ said:
Only chassis, of course. Designing a gearbox is a totally different kind of beast :)

Does Villeneuve drive for RB next year?

No, he's still tied to the new BMW team through his contract at Sauber. He says his contract is air-tight, but there's talk that BMW don't want him.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
No, he's still tied to the new BMW team through his contract at Sauber. He says his contract is air-tight, but there's talk that BMW don't want him.

Oh right, it was Sauber (now BMW). Mixed that up. I'd love to see him driving for a team which can actually build a fast car, he's been in bad teams too long now.

_xxx_ said:
I agree, but I was under the impression (read somewhere... don't remember if on printed mag or internet) that AN was requesting specific designs for the external gearbox case to maximixe airflow, and thus helped the gearbox engineer (who was previously working at Ferrari, IIRC).
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't that big.

Newey's been all hype for a long time. The MP4-20 is actually the brainchild of Nick Tombazis, the former Benetton and Ferrari aerodynamicist; he joined McLaren from the Scuderia in 2003.

Tombazis is rumoured to be heading back to Ferrari...

Anyway, according to reliable sources Mateschitz, the Red Bull owner, is thinking of a possible America's Cup entry - Newey has always stated from 2000 that he wanted to end up designing sail boats.

Back