Activision ordered to pull 'misleading' COD2 ads

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by scooby_dooby, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooby_dooby

Legend

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63009

Nice, about time. Sick of using CG to advertise a game, it's gotten out of hand.

2. !eVo!-X Ant UK

Banned

They have a point, those adverts show action simular to the stuff in Kill Zone E3 trailer.

3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Friend: Hey that looks awesome!
    Me: Too bad it's fake.
    Friend: That's stupid. :roll:

*sigh*...

I think it is more because of the first person view for a first person game that makes the situation a lot "worse" than other ads with CGI.

4. blakjedi

Veteran

Is this train EVER late? :lol:

Guden Oden likes this.
  5. scificube

Regular

I bet CG usage in games is unaffected as long as the CG used in the ad is still part of the content in the game the ad is promoting.

The CG then would be representative of visuals one could see while playing...err...watching the game.

I'd love for developers to use only use real time footage of the game engine but I don't see how anyone could make them do it. I'm not even sure it's right to do that...to force them not to use CG in ads. I'm a little hypocritical here because I'm a little less concerned about them being forced to show what the game looks like while you're playing. That'd be a restriction/requirement that sounds great for the consumer but still it is forcing a developer to do something a certain way which I'm not too keen on.

6. Danalys

Regular

they should just use disclaimers. game adverts use cg scenes from the game all the time. imagine advertizing FFVII back in the day and not using the CG cutscenes in the advertizement. if you think the real time rendered parts of the game are going to look like the advert then you deserve to be tricked really.

7. Mariner

Veteran

Here in the UK, some of the adverts for games (including the CoD2 advert) don't contain any actual footage of gameplay at all. The CoD2 advert had first-person CG footage which I'm sure many viewers thought was actual gameplay - most dishonest and I'm pleased they have had their wrists slapped. The obvious implication was that the footage was of gameplay even though it was obvious to anyone with a bit of knowledge that it wasn't.

8. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Well, not to play devil's advocate, but FF7 was 10 years ago. Back then, whoever thought they would be playing a game that looked like FMV deserved to be shot.

Today, in 2006, the line between FMV and realtime is blurred more and more, so depending on how advanced the FMV is, i can see how some people can mistake realtime for FMV and vice versa.
    Obviously FF12 FMV is just way "up there", and anyone thinkjng they'll be playing a game that looks like those FMV videos needs to lose their eyes.

9. Danalys

Regular

well i think the most important lesson is not to buy a game based only on the advert.

10. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Corrected. :grin:

11. !eVo!-X Ant UK

Banned

I know that game in constantly brought up, but thats the first thing that poped into my head when i saw the action in the trailer.

12. !eVo!-X Ant UK

Banned

I remember the Harry Potter advert over here. it was all CGI, but unlike all the others it actully said on the screen " Not Actual Gameplay "

More should follow that example

13. expletive

Veteran

Agreed, and i think youve hit the nail on the problem with these ads compared to things like FF. The difference, imo, is that the FMV for COD2 is designed in such a way to look like someone is playing an FPS.

Other ads that show FMV were clearly cutscenes/in-game movies to most becuase they didnt mimic what the gameplay might look like. However people are now VERY familiar with the FPS genre (especially the WW2 variety) and this ad misleads them into thinking the ad was gameplay based on the camera angle. The only thing missing would have been a phony rendered HUD

14. Danalys

Regular

good point about the harry potter advert. i think it's especially important when advertising products that children would want. it's acceptable for them to be tricked and annoying for parents to have to correct their expectations.

oh and nice correction london-boy. altho my dad bought some woodpecker cider back in the day as a sort of thank you to them for having a funny advert.

#14 Danalys, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2006
  15. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

I might be just very cynical, but everytime i see an advert, i think whatever they say is a lie. Can't help it. Be it shampoo, cars, "cheap" mobile phone contracts, anything.

16. c0_re

Banned

Thank god, down with lame prerendered crap it should be considered false advertising and criminal.

17. drpepper

Regular

If it's in the game it's not false advertising. And even if it isn't it's still not false advertising.

Advertising is hard, for 30 seconds you have to convince the consumer that this product is must buy. And if they have to use flashy CGI to convey that message than it's fair game.

I really don't see how this is "misleading". Buyer beware is all I have to say. If I buy an Audi should I expect it to climb a ski slope with a 37 degree inclination? No, but that's why they have the disclaimer at the bottom of the advert. Activision should just be forced to include a disclaimer, not outright ban their commercial.

18. Clashman

Regular

I would be fine with the prerendering as long as they included a bold disclaimer at the top which said "Not In-Game Footage". That would make it pretty clear to everyone who could read what they were or were not showing.

19. deviantchild

Regular

Ok.
    I haven't followed development of CoD2 and I really don't watch TV, but sometime recently I happen to have caught a quick glimpse of this ad on screen and I immediately thought "Fuck! that looks really advanced. What platform does the ad relate to? I might have to consider getting one."
    The only reason I didn't check it out further is because I had WWII PC gaming overkill during recent years.
    I was misled.
    I didn't know any different from that until I saw this thread.
    That's enough for it to need withdrawing, imo, regardless of the letter-of-the-law and it's scumbag bedfellows.

20. drpepper

Regular

Well, I've seen those commercials here in canada and I think it be a little naive to be mislead from those commercials. I mean they were obviously pre-rendered CGI. I guess if this was Killzone we wouldn't have this problem would we. :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.