Activision ordered to pull 'misleading' COD2 ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
drpepper said:
Well, I've seen those commercials here in canada and I think it be a little naive to be mislead from those commercials. I mean they were obviously pre-rendered CGI. I guess if this was Killzone we wouldn't have this problem would we. :rolleyes:
Not if you weren't watching attentively, on not-an-HDTV, couldn't have really cared less in general ("oh... a game ad on telly") only caught part of it and weren't wearing your glasses.
The action I saw was played out in a gamelike manner. [I played the first game through]
Naiivety doesn't come into it.
I don't follow consoles, so have no idea of what they are capable of and which developers really know tham deep enough to make better than ordinary use of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the ad y'all are talking about, and the first time I saw it, I thought that maybe the later areas in COD2 must have looked way better than the demo. Then I noticed the 2nd time that yeah, this stuff looks way too good. It's deceptive.

I have no problem with using stuff from cutscenes in ads. They're part of the thing you're actually buying. But in the case of this ad, I think Activision was definitely trying to make people think that was in-game.

this has been going on for several years now on ALL systems and you can put me firmly in the "they should show only actual game footage" camp.

No pre-rendered/cut scenes/CG.

It IS false advertising IMO and creates false expectations for the masses who ONLY see games in adverts and do not do online research (as most of us here might).

drpepper said:
Well, I've seen those commercials here in canada and I think it be a little naive to be mislead from those commercials. I mean they were obviously pre-rendered CGI. I guess if this was Killzone we wouldn't have this problem would we. :rolleyes:

Again though, its not for the beyond3d regulars, its for your average consumer. I saw the commercial with my wife one night and she asked "Wow is that a real game?" Had she not had her very intelligent husband there to set the record straight, she may have gone out and bought the game thinking how realistic it looked.

Wow.... how stupid... and the funny thing is, this little commercial for BR1 was used in my example about prerendered footage on another forum.

"Thats like looking at the COD: BR1 commercial and getting mad that it doesnt look like that " Apparently someone did :D ... I really hate people sometimes.

*Here you go Activision*

Add this in really small text at the bottom of the screen... "Footage not representative of actual ingame footage"

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is Brothers in Arms did the EXACT same thing for BIA2, how come they haven't been reprimanded? I guess because COD ads are still airing, while the BIA ad campaign seems to be over.

I totally agree with the notion of no CG in advertising anymore. They are using the excuse that consumers are so 'used' to seeing CG, that anything less would not impress them.

IMO, Sony is the biggest game in town, and until they stop relying SO heavily on CG trailers/ads and tech demo's, no-one else is going to follow suit. Nintendo is pretty good already, MS shows a little CG here and there but they also show TONS of real stuff. I'm not blaming Sony, just saying that this will not change as long as they keep doing what they're doing. They set the tone(i.e. KZ), and other developers feel pressured to match it.

All of Sony's first party games; advert is in game. The Ratchet and Clank series were all in game footage. What CG commercials are you talking about?

Socom 3 commercials was also in game.

My FUD detector is going off... Your hate for sony knows no ends...

drpepper said:
All of Sony's first party games; advert is in game. The Ratchet and Clank series were all in game footage. What CG commercials are you talking about?

Socom 3 commercials was also in game.

My FUD detector is going off... Your hate for sony knows no ends...
Oh relax. This is not always about picking sides here you know. I have no hate for Sony, I just think they make shitty electronics, big difference.

What should be said about Square and FF then ?
All 100% FMV ads, not a single second of gameplay footage...
(at least for 7-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back