Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another awesome picture
270097uc4drake.jpg

Goddamn, even more impressive than visual polish, they made his animations stellar in that HQ 1080p60 video.

UC4 validity discussion is held in the game thread. Not needed here. Whether realtime or not, it's in engine, so those were the graphics PS4 was producing (at somewhere between 0.01 and 60 fps). People should wait for games to get released before linking to them in this thread, due to the caveat 'subject to change' that comes with every PR announcement.

Uncharted has accurate human hair rendering, but imagine swimming or being submerged in water...
Will it have accurate, fully wet, human hair rendering also?

In other news: Drake probably has the most realistic (and dirty) fingernails in video game history.. :D

Actually, UC4 has the illusion of accurate hair rendering. I'm quite sure they can't handle hair strands, not even for the stubble - everything is probably an evolution of the techniques used on the Last of Us. Basically lots of tiny alpha textured polygons, but probably with some nice hair shader. We'll have to wait for actual ingame screenshots to see how it really looks like as I'm still quite sure that the trailer was pre-rendered at a lower framerate and had supersampling AA going on.

Actually, UC4 has the illusion of accurate hair rendering. I'm quite sure they can't handle hair strands, not even for the stubble - everything is probably an evolution of the techniques used on the Last of Us. Basically lots of tiny alpha textured polygons, but probably with some nice hair shader. We'll have to wait for actual ingame screenshots to see how it really looks like as I'm still quite sure that the trailer was pre-rendered at a lower framerate and had supersampling AA going on.

There's a fair chance they've implemented AMD's TressFX as well, or some modification of it. But even that doesn't emulate each individual strand, I don't think.

Regards,
SB

it reminds me of the body snatchers when donald sutherland screams at the end. somethings not right, nope nope nope!!!

That is not ingame, that is CGI from Blur. Please pay attention, this is how the game looks like:

6vRfmeQ.jpg

That is not ingame, that is CGI from Blur. Please pay attention, this is how the game looks like:

[strike]So like, cut-scene no longer count as in-game?[/strike]

Nevermind, I read that they decided to not do real-time cut scene with the Halo 2 anniversary.

Putting up that comparison shot is misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as far as they're pairing the CG shots with cutscene images from the original game. They're just not telling you that the new cutscene is no longer in-engine.

So what do people classify the pre-rendered cut-scenes by the "in-game" engine from past Uncharted titles?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do people classify the pre-rendered cut-scenes by the "in-game" engine from past Uncharted titles?
Pre-rendered, in-engine cutscenes. The result cannot use features not present in the engine (although perhaps a little extra can be added in typical photo-mode/replay mode fashion) but doesn't have to be realtime, allowing for higher IQ.

For the previous Uncharted games they used a bunch of flat polygons for the hair. They probably do the same now but at a higher level of detail.

2qxytjm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back