Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by babcat, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

I was kinda asking Milk though :)

Anyway, my interpretation is that this tech is meant for real time pre-visualization. This technology has been developed for a long time; for example there was some testing by Peter Jackson and Weta on FOTR for the cave troll battle. There it was just body movement, of course. Then the other major milestone was Avatar where James Cameron also had some sort of realtime facial solver, all plugged into Motion Builder.

You see, the results are still somewhat rough; but it's really good already for an instant preview in emotional scenes with fully performance captured characters. There's a lot of small nuances in timing, editing, whatever, that come from the facial performance of the actors, so it'd make the production even faster and more responsive; and we all know that the Avatar sequels are in full production by now.

2. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Hm, I was impressed by the real time aspects and the possibility for a director to test out a scene.

But the mouth movements and teeth still look super wrong imo. The character to me looks only believable (but very!) with mouth closed.

3. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

4. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Quantum Break direct feed shot of the main protagonist
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billy Idol and chris1515 like this.
  5. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

For me, there is no obvious flaw I can see in this face. Quality to me is very high and consistent.

Now that the quality of the skin and face is so high, the looks of the jacket material seems to be off and a bit lacking in comparison to me.

6. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I guess it's the difference between performance capture of the face, which therefore looks good and natural, and all the elements of the visuals which are computer generated. Uncanny valley will be with us for a while, perhaps shifting from aspect of visuals to another.

7. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Skin and hair texture look a bit low res compared to some other game's close up and beard just look like they're painted on instead of small sheets. The shading and model itself look pretty good.

8. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Much like RotTR they seem to be using two different models for cutscenes and gameplay, example:
    [​IMG]

RotTR gameplay model (PC ver)
    [​IMG]

9. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

The Order for comparison, gameplay model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cutscene vs gameplay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model (polycount/textures) and shaders seem to be identical, although you can notice more shadows in the environment and tailored lighting for the scene.

10. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Yeah I think Andrea mentioned about adding extra lighting in the cutscene to convey a cinematic tone, it makes sense tho because no one walks around with an extra direct light facing towards you all the time. Other than that the shader, model detail, texture res and post processing all look the same to me.

11. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

On the more light-hearted side of the discussion about accurate human rendering, here's an excerpt from the interview with DoA3 Extreme dev:

Q: What is the key feature of soft engine 2.0?
    Hayashi: butt jiggle without a doubt.

Q: Do you have any plans to use soft engine 2.0 on other games?
    Hayashi: Actually, we were thinking we could use this for 'a certain game' so we lend them this engine but they said 'this engine's butt processing is way too heavy!
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198658525&postcount=216

lol

chris1515 and Clukos like this.
  12. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Actually jokes aside skin deformation could see more use in games, that they decided to use it for DoAX3 makes total sense as well and the results speak for themselves no matter how "doll-like" the girls are :razz:

And they are doing some other interesting stuff as well, like tan lines and skin tanning in general for example

#932 Clukos, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  13. milk

Veteran Regular

Ah, of course, you were, ahem, saying something about live capture and 'proper' capture, with, like, huh, obvious differences probably in quality, and something something realtime previz, blast processing re-do content.

am I your friend now Yoshie?

14. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

I'm sorry, I don't get it; have I offended you in some way?

15. milk

Veteran Regular

No way man, I was just trying to act like a foolish internet kid pretending to understand your technical talk without actually comprehending it. Just weird absurdist self-deprecating humor. I don't think it came off very well. I always appreciate your comments though, and have said so many times.

Billy Idol, London-boy and Laa-Yosh like this.
  16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Heh, they are a bit late to the party. Black Desert Online has butt jiggle for almost 2 years now. Albeit the game only released last year. And not only that, they also have thigh jiggle. :D I think they may have belly jiggle too, but I haven't messed around with some of the heftier male characters to see.

That said, they have extremely well done characters, especially considering just how customizable they are by players, especially the female ones. Taking customization into account there isn't a game on the planet that can touch this one when it comes to character models (both human and semi-non-human).

It's the first game where I've seen multiple control/configuration points for each individual finger or individual locks of hair, for example. People have used it to create both extremely life-like characters as well as absolutely cartoonish monster caricatures.

Add to that they also have clothing destruction :shocked: and wear (dirt, wet, mud, rips and normal wear) as well as cloth physics.

Regards,
    SB

#936 Silent_Buddha, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    chris1515 and Clukos like this.
  17. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

Isabeau and Gallahad from the Order (cutscenes)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

The clothing has a low resolution in very close ups.

[​IMG]TheOrder1886 by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

This is from chapter 7. Uncharted 4 is a lot better.

19. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

No, this is from the end of chapter 6.

20. Clukos

Veteran Newcomer

That was what i thought of as well, i don't know what the technical differences are in shaders or texturing but i like the output more. Example from Drake in different lighting conditions
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.