Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kinda asking Milk though :)

Anyway, my interpretation is that this tech is meant for real time pre-visualization. This technology has been developed for a long time; for example there was some testing by Peter Jackson and Weta on FOTR for the cave troll battle. There it was just body movement, of course. Then the other major milestone was Avatar where James Cameron also had some sort of realtime facial solver, all plugged into Motion Builder.

You see, the results are still somewhat rough; but it's really good already for an instant preview in emotional scenes with fully performance captured characters. There's a lot of small nuances in timing, editing, whatever, that come from the facial performance of the actors, so it'd make the production even faster and more responsive; and we all know that the Avatar sequels are in full production by now.

Hm, I was impressed by the real time aspects and the possibility for a director to test out a scene.

But the mouth movements and teeth still look super wrong imo. The character to me looks only believable (but very!) with mouth closed.

Quantum Break direct feed shot of the main protagonist
jpg

jpg

For me, there is no obvious flaw I can see in this face. Quality to me is very high and consistent.

Now that the quality of the skin and face is so high, the looks of the jacket material seems to be off and a bit lacking in comparison to me.

I guess it's the difference between performance capture of the face, which therefore looks good and natural, and all the elements of the visuals which are computer generated. Uncanny valley will be with us for a while, perhaps shifting from aspect of visuals to another.

Skin and hair texture look a bit low res compared to some other game's close up and beard just look like they're painted on instead of small sheets. The shading and model itself look pretty good.

Much like RotTR they seem to be using two different models for cutscenes and gameplay, example:
1m0sw7.jpg

RotTR gameplay model (PC ver)
riseofthetombraider03q2s76.jpg

The Order for comparison, gameplay model
theorder_1886_201603254qdq.jpg

theorder_1886_20160326iqt7.jpg

theorder_1886_20160328fpmi.jpg

theorder_1886_2016032pjo8g.jpg

Cutscene vs gameplay
theorder_1886_2016032zkqrm.jpg

theorder_1886_2016032alpp0.jpg

Model (polycount/textures) and shaders seem to be identical, although you can notice more shadows in the environment and tailored lighting for the scene.

Yeah I think Andrea mentioned about adding extra lighting in the cutscene to convey a cinematic tone, it makes sense tho because no one walks around with an extra direct light facing towards you all the time. Other than that the shader, model detail, texture res and post processing all look the same to me.

On the more light-hearted side of the discussion about accurate human rendering, here's an excerpt from the interview with DoA3 Extreme dev:

Q: What is the key feature of soft engine 2.0?
Hayashi: butt jiggle without a doubt.

Q: Do you have any plans to use soft engine 2.0 on other games?
Hayashi: Actually, we were thinking we could use this for 'a certain game' so we lend them this engine but they said 'this engine's butt processing is way too heavy!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198658525&postcount=216

lol

Actually jokes aside skin deformation could see more use in games, that they decided to use it for DoAX3 makes total sense as well and the results speak for themselves no matter how "doll-like" the girls are :p

And they are doing some other interesting stuff as well, like tan lines and skin tanning in general for example

Last edited:
I was kinda asking Milk though :)

Ah, of course, you were, ahem, saying something about live capture and 'proper' capture, with, like, huh, obvious differences probably in quality, and something something realtime previz, blast processing re-do content.

am I your friend now Yoshie?

I'm sorry, I don't get it; have I offended you in some way?

No way man, I was just trying to act like a foolish internet kid pretending to understand your technical talk without actually comprehending it. Just weird absurdist self-deprecating humor. I don't think it came off very well. I always appreciate your comments though, and have said so many times.

On the more light-hearted side of the discussion about accurate human rendering, here's an excerpt from the interview with DoA3 Extreme dev:

Q: What is the key feature of soft engine 2.0?
Hayashi: butt jiggle without a doubt.

Q: Do you have any plans to use soft engine 2.0 on other games?
Hayashi: Actually, we were thinking we could use this for 'a certain game' so we lend them this engine but they said 'this engine's butt processing is way too heavy!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198658525&postcount=216

lol

Heh, they are a bit late to the party. Black Desert Online has butt jiggle for almost 2 years now. Albeit the game only released last year. And not only that, they also have thigh jiggle. :D I think they may have belly jiggle too, but I haven't messed around with some of the heftier male characters to see.

That said, they have extremely well done characters, especially considering just how customizable they are by players, especially the female ones. Taking customization into account there isn't a game on the planet that can touch this one when it comes to character models (both human and semi-non-human).

It's the first game where I've seen multiple control/configuration points for each individual finger or individual locks of hair, for example. People have used it to create both extremely life-like characters as well as absolutely cartoonish monster caricatures.

Add to that they also have clothing destruction :oops: and wear (dirt, wet, mud, rips and normal wear) as well as cloth physics.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Uncharted 4 is a lot better.

That was what i thought of as well, i don't know what the technical differences are in shaders or texturing but i like the output more. Example from Drake in different lighting conditions
1235ejtq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back