AACS spec (analog output, region code)

Guden Oden said:
Why would we get shafted? Unlike with current DVDs, there's no need to recode the audio/video for PAL and NTSC video standards with HD storage formats, so all regions can use the same material. All that might differ are dubbed extra audio tracks and subtitles for countries different than that of the movie's origin, and in many cases those can be the same for different markets. IE, spanish sound/titles can be the same for spain and mexico, french can be the same for france and quebec. Barring possible regional differences in spelling or such, I suppose...
There used to be some very nice japanese DVDs worth importing, that option is gone in the future. I for one like korean and japanese movies so the new region1 is extra cool and region2 sucks, anyway ... wtf do I care, I am going for an import NA PS3 and I'm all set.

ChryZ said:
There used to be some very nice japanese DVDs worth importing, that option is gone in the future. I for one like korean and japanese movies so the new region1 is extra cool and region2 sucks, anyway ... wtf do I care, I am going for an import NA PS3 and I'm all set.

And I wouldn't be too suprised if some sort of region free programs and players will once again arrive like always has.

Dr Evil said:
There is a fair change that PS3 will not have region codes at all (for games), but it may just as well be wishfull thinking. Time will tell.

wishfull thinking IMO

ERP said:
wishfull thinking IMO

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=15477

And apparently Ken has hinted towards killing Region-encoding in games, a move that was started with the PSP.

I would say that while it may be hopeful thinking, it is closer to reality than some people think.

Heck, just ditching the region encoding will make PS3 mod-chips that support games easier to fight in countries like Australia, at no detriment in sales.

Cyander said:
Although yes, with region-free games and Japan sharing a region with the US for BD-ROM... why not import a PS3 (if you can, and if the US launch is after the JP one)?
Yeah, I doubt they'll be much BD content on the shelves.

Alpha_Spartan said:
Yeah, I doubt they'll be much BD content on the shelves.

That depends on how much manufacturing (which is underway) is done between now and the official launch.

On the other hand, I look at the possibility of picking up a PS3 through import channels without any problems with US BD content when it arrives, or slogging through lines here in the US when the PS3 hits NA. I would much rather import and not have to deal with it, and possibly get it earlier (unless the launch is near-simultaneous).

Me getting a PS3 is pretty certain, regardless of BD's success or failure, or even the PS3's success or failure. I might regret it (CRT HDTV), or I might not (Dreamcast).

Back