Australia to be ..... over in region coding again.

bloodbob

Trollipop
Veteran
http://www.gamersreports.com/news/705#comments
Regions for blue-ray

Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)
Region 2: Europe and Africa
Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

Yay for australia we get lumped in with the pirate nations china and russia. You wonder why we pirate so many movies down under its because its takes the legit copies so long to get here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Region codes are all about control.

Besides curbing piracy, it allows distributors in different regions to publish without worrying about competing with imports from another region.

epicstruggle said:
thats not a very good reason to steal (for those who are anal: copyright infringement).
Frankly I think thats the best reason to steal there is no legal alternative if you can't buy it you can't buy it. If you can't legally access something even with cash your getting screwed by the corperations. Its like abadonwares if the company's don't sell it anymore the IP just disappears. Wouldn't society be better if we actually allowed others to use a IP? or should we simply just create it so that others can't use it?

Last edited by a moderator:
K.I.L.E.R said:
So regions are a way mark the degree of piracy in a country?
No. They're distribution areas, or at least were for DVDs.

Presumably its so a company could sell the same product in 5 markets at different pricepoints and get maximum returns.

With as globalized as the world is getting this market segmentation seems a bit silly.

I don't think market segmentation is really that silly. Most countries have their own currency, and they are not necessarily with a reasonable exchange rate. For example, Chinese RMB is terribly undervalued. If you try to sell Chinese DVD with the same price point as in the US, well, good luck. If you set your price reasonable to each area, you'll have to worry about the back import problem.

However, I still think that region coding is not the solution. Actually, IIRC region code is originally to handle the "movie release time disparity" problem. A DVD may already be selling in the USA but the movie is still showing in Japan (this is quite common). They don't want the DVD in USA hurt the movie box office in Japan. However, recently more movies are premered wordwide at the same time or very closely. This is no longer a very serious problem IMHO.

Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)
Region 2: Europe and Africa
Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

What's the logic behind these regions? With HDTV resolutions being the same the world over, it doesn't seem to be for technical reasons. However, it doesn't seem to be done by geography or even culture...or any logical reasoning. Why the Americas and Asia? Why Europe and Africa (replacement for Austrailia and New Zealand?) I can somewhat understand the "all others" region but still these regions seem dumb.

In Australia region codes to enforce differential pricing are viewed as illegal and we are awaiting the first major test case!

Yeh I think I remember there was a firm ware update for an older DVD player I had that took out the regionalisation. Was legit too!. Fodder should know. I think I remeber him posting a link awhiles back.

Oh I like being thrown in as "Other Countries" too.

Back