AACS spec (analog output, region code)

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
Masakazu Honda @ ITMedia reports about the final review version of the AACS contents management system for HD formats such as Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD. AACS LA consists of IBM, Sony, Toshiba, Warner, Intel, Microsoft, Matsushita, and Disney.
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle/articles/0512/19/news023.html

In a nutshell,

+ ICT (Image Constrain Token) must be supported by AACS software and hardware as Warner wanted. ICT is utilized to limit hi-res analog output. But in countries such as Japan in which the laws prohibit ICT, it's not required until 2011. Contents providers except for Warner say they don't use ICT, but according to Honda even Warner won't use it because of commercial reasons.

+ Though Warner was eager to abolish region code and there were no objection until the final decision, film companies not in AACS LA opposed it and it was decided that region code stays in BD-ROM. But it undergoes reorganization. Basically, Japan and other East Asian countries except for China are moved to Region 1. The new region codes are

Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)
Region 2: Europe and Africa
Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

IMHO, most likely, the handling of region codes in the PS3 BD will be the same as PSP (no regions in games).

EDIT: The article has added 1 correction, the region code is only about BD-ROM. HD-DVD has not decided on it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
one said:
Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)
Region 2: Europe and Africa
Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

IMHO, most likely, the handling of region codes in the PS3 BD will be the same as PSP (no regions in games).

I really do hate them for not abolishing region codes, but moving Asia to the NA region plainly just sucks. :devilish:

crystalcube said:
why ? It makes a lot of sense for consumers actually.
It groups some of the most interesting markets together, it's great for consumers in the new region1. Consumers in Europe get shafted ... once again

"Contents providers except for Warner say they don't use ICT, but according to Honda even Warner won't use it because of commercial reasons."

Could this possibly mean playing HD without HDMI? That would make a whole lot of sense as well as make my fucking day.

I wonder what region Australia is in, we were in Region 4...

Yeah, I'm wondering more what the first point means. Does this relate to support for HD content over analog outputs i.e. component?

Titanio said:
Yeah, I'm wondering more what the first point means. Does this relate to support for HD content over analog outputs i.e. component?
Yes, you can watch HD movies in their full resolutions through analog outputs, at least for 5 years or so.

PS3 launch in JP/NA in Spring??? ;) Seems that region coding would make it very importer-friendly. If games are region-free like the PSP, then you could import a JP PS3 and still be able to watch all BD releases on time. PEACE.

Definitely interesting. I definitely have issues with the ICT concept as it essentially means: Hey, you can't just go with what makes sense to you to get your HD content, you have to buy an updated HDTV to get your HD content on dead dinosaur discs, if you have one of the early ones that didn't support copy-protected DVI or HDMI.

The region encoding is an improvement, although still does some /weird/ stuff to releases.

I am torn... boo to Warner for pushing through ICT, yay to Warner for trying to push region-free.

Although yes, with region-free games and Japan sharing a region with the US for BD-ROM... why not import a PS3 (if you can, and if the US launch is after the JP one)?

Cyander said:
Although yes, with region-free games and Japan sharing a region with the US for BD-ROM... why not import a PS3 (if you can, and if the US launch is after the JP one)?

Great point. I might be getting a PS3 this spring then.:devilish:

Dr Evil said:
But is that only in Japan?
The article says film makers such as Disney and Fox are unwilling to activate it as it kills the goodness of HD for most consumers in the current situation, which I interpret they're talking about all over the world. When HDMI becomes the absolute minimum of new TV sets, they'll discuss it again.

one said:
The article says film makers such as Disney and Fox are unwilling to activate it as it kills the goodness of HD for most consumers in the current situation, which I interpret they're talking about all over the world. When HDMI becomes the absolute minimum of new TV sets, they'll discuss it again.

I hope you're right one. I guess we should hear something at CES.

ERP said:
FWIW - I doubt the region codes for games and movies are related in anyway.

There is a fair change that PS3 will not have region codes at all (for games), but it may just as well be wishfull thinking. Time will tell.

ChryZ said:
Consumers in Europe get shafted ... once again
Why would we get shafted? Unlike with current DVDs, there's no need to recode the audio/video for PAL and NTSC video standards with HD storage formats, so all regions can use the same material. All that might differ are dubbed extra audio tracks and subtitles for countries different than that of the movie's origin, and in many cases those can be the same for different markets. IE, spanish sound/titles can be the same for spain and mexico, french can be the same for france and quebec. Barring possible regional differences in spelling or such, I suppose...

Back