AAAHH System CRASHING!

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
yikes.gif

NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

My system started crashing in the last week, and it does it when Firefox is involved i think. Just started it up and it crashed again... I'm now using... Ex...... BLEAH.... plorer.........

I'm not even sure it's firefox cause i was defragmenting the drive and it froze again, and i even had my network connection disabled at the time.

How do i find what file is damaging my system?

I try defragmenting the drive, it crashes, i tried checking for errors on my hard drive, it won't finish (though at least it won't crash).

I know the best way is to back up everything and make my system brand new with a fresh install, but at the moment i have no DVDs to burn and i really don't want to lose anything.

digitalwanderer said:
What did you use to scan for them, and also any new installations on hardware/software in that time? :|

Used norton for viruses and spybot search&destroy for spyware...

things seem to be fine now that i uninstalled firefox but my life won't last long if i have to use explorer. it's bill gates isn't it, he doesnt want me to use firefox.

digitalwanderer said:
Did you un-install Norton after running it and then kill off any remnants? That'll always bork a system up.
why would i have to uninstall norton? thats not what's causing the crashes... i think.

Because most anti-viri stuff install monitoring software for real-time protection that borks up the smooth flow of your system.

I use bit defender periodically, but I install/sweep/un-install each time I use it.

digitalwanderer said:
Because most anti-viri stuff install monitoring software for real-time protection that borks up the smooth flow of your system.

I use bit defender periodically, but I install/sweep/un-install each time I use it.
Wel with norton, i wouldn't want to f**k up the subscription (which i pay for) by uninstalling and stuff...

mito said:
are you a folding member?

Huh? NO! Why?!

Don't mean to be rude, i'm just very distressed by this, i have far too much valuable stuff on my HDD to lose anything... But... I need HELP here!!

Open up msconfig and kill off all Norton's start-ups then and see if that fixes it, you can always just turn them back on later.

digitalwanderer said:
Open up msconfig and kill off all Norton's start-ups then and see if that fixes it, you can always just turn them back on later.
...how do i find Norton stuff? i'm not at home so i'm asking now in case i cant see it when i do it tonight...

Go to the start-up tab and uncheck anything that looks like it's related to Norton, and any other non-essentials in there. :)

london-boy said:
I'll look into that tonight :D

But really, isn't it odd that Norton would get to my system like that?

not really. Norton, unless top enterprise edition is pretty bad product AFAIK.

london-boy said:
Not at all to me, I've seen it and other anti-viri protection mess up a whole lot of gaming rigs in my time. :)

You gotta think about your system holistically, you can't just think about each piece of software running individually.

digitalwanderer said:
london-boy said:
Not at all to me, I've seen it and other anti-viri protection mess up a whole lot of gaming rigs in my time. :)

You gotta think about your system holistically, you can't just think about each piece of software running individually.

... So i take norton off? How am i gonna protect myself? and i PAID for the damn thing!

Back