A64 thermal protection works as advertised!!!

Druga Runda

Sleepy Substitute
Regular
And I had the full benefit of it just in the last couple of days :D

Well a few days ago, I bought a new DVD RW drive, and being lazy as I am, I just pulled the old one out of the rails, and put the new one in... howewer in the whole process it seems I have disconnected the CPU fan power lead and well I was without the fan...

So what happened... my PC actually continued to work under normal circumstances 24/7 !!!

The fan itself is quite big and quiet, and the case fairly well ventilated and loud comparing to the fan working in "quiet mode" so I didn't even notice CPU fan not working, so I guess even without CPU fan working the CPU was cool enough for day to day 2D operation like surfing etc...

However when trying to game, RCTW:ET specifically it worked as much as 30 minutes until the PC would reboot... the subsequent reboots were naturally quite quick, but if would stop gaming, the PC would actually continue to work on as normal, so I subscribed this erratic behaviour to my 1.5 yo Win2K install, which I thought (and now I hope it might not be so) was overdue a reinstall...

Until today... I started B&W with my daughter, and after ~ 30 min my PC had shut down... meh, and I thought it only affected RCTW:ET at that point

This is the point where I thought... ummm... this looks like my power supply is having problems, but let's see... however at that point in time the system would not even boot properly, and after a couple of resets in frustration... not even BIOS screen would show up.

That was the time "panic" started to kick in... and I was thinking "what's dead now?"

Opened up the case, and arghhh.... CPU fan lead out!!!

Fan not working, PC won't even boot to the BIOS screen... and I thought damn... I just fried, it... perhaps the thermal protection worked, but didn't survive my several frustrated reboots one after another...

Well took off the fan, took a look at the socket and CPU, seen that there is no burning... thought :hmmm: this is not so bad, and I could still feel the socket was warm on touch

Put the thing back in... and wohoooo it works!!! I guess it got cooled enough after being taken out :) :D

AMD - WELL DONE!!! saved me a CPU tonight!!!

Btw the system specs are

A64 3000+ - newcastle
Chaintech Zenith NF3 250
PSU - Enermax EG465AX-VE
the fan is Gigabyte 3D Cooler Ultra GT... the copper one...

Same happened to me with my old Athlon XP but with watercooling. Forgot to plug in the waterpump after some parts-switching.
I don't know if the AXP has this feature or if it was the Asus board that shut down but it did shutdown and nothing was harmed. :D

Edit: Condiderign it was a 2500+ desktop barton @ 2.45ghz and 1.85 vcore i am quite sure i would've died a quick death without the emergency shutdown.

Back