A new modern engine benchmark

Fortuitous timing - I was just wondering what other benchmarks I could use for this Radeon review. Even more useful to see what the Pixel Shader hit is like. :)

Demo looks sweet but I think the engine needs some platform optimization work. I get 30 fps @ 1024 and 37 fps @ 800 x 600. I also don't like having to edit the .cfg file to enable shaders, whats the game look for when checking the card, DX compatability or just looks for a Geforce 3.

Anyhow nice to see a new benchmark anyways.

I hate Gigex too but downloaded it anyway.... I had a 24.27fps score but I'm sure most will post higher as I didn't drop any IQ settings. It sure felt faster than 25fps though... smooth

The demo is nice but nothing special compared to what's out already. I liked the water and the rotor wash though :D

Tbird@1.2
GF3
512 pc-133
XP

edit: my settings were all default i.e. 8x6, etc....

its strange, I get ~28 without AA or aniso, ~25 with 2xQualityAA and 16x aniso.

nvNews forums seem to be full of people with Gf3/8500 class hardware getting 25-30 fps, but a slew of Ti200 owners getting 37+fps!

There's some guy over at nvnews with a 2.2 Ghz P4 and a overclocked Ti 4600 and he just managed to pass the 40 fps mark

something is not right
but if you look at the scene shifting you'll see that it actually blends two fully rendered scenes
crazy stuff that'll never happe during actual gameplay

it also seems like it's very CPU limited

What a cool benchmark! That's what we need, a modern dx8 benchmark made directly from a scene within a game! Finally, good bye Quake 3!

This benchmark is a load of crap. The game is meant to be fun to play but it doesn't look too hot IMO. I don't think the results are really all that useful. The only thing it tells me is that the graphics engine needs some serious attention. Dave I don't reccommend using it in your review.
Doesn't tell you anything useful really.

Results below:

33 fps at 800*600
30 fps at 1024*768

CPU - AthlonXP @ 1564.54 MHz (10.5*148.91)
Motherboard - EPoX 8KHA+ KT266A
RAM - Nanya 512MB PC2100 at CAS 2 148.91 MHz DDR
RadeonLE GPU at 295MHz RAM at 270MHz

Using the 6025 XP driver for the Radeon (I like to play DVD with hardware enabled and later drivers seem to have screwed that up).

Regards,

misae said:
This benchmark is a load of crap. The game is meant to be fun to play but it doesn't look too hot IMO. I don't think the results are really all that useful. The only thing it tells me is that the graphics engine needs some serious attention. Dave I don't reccommend using it in your review.
Doesn't tell you anything useful really.

I'd like to echo the above sentiment.
Besides managing to look pretty ugly in spite of an average of 200 000 polygons per frame, it seems to be mostly limited by the CPU/memory/buses(?) subsystem rather than the graphics.

In that respect it is similar to Unreal/UT, only that UT manages to be mostly CPU/memory limited in spite of having a tenth to a hundredth as many polygons per frame.... And still has a hard time achieving consistently good framerates on any hardware in existance.

I guess Carmack is a genious after all, or perhaps simply a competent craftsman among hackers and wanna-bes.

It scares me a bit when Tim Sweeney goes on and on about how many polygons Unreal 2 will use. Will it be another game(engine) that will never run particularly well on any hardware in relation to how it looks? I remember when Tim first started talking about the new engine and said that it wouldn't use any method of reducing the number of polygons for distant terrain because "it never looked good" but instead they would rely on the GPUs to handle it fast enough. Amazing to hear a man _brag_ about how they will cripple either performance or visual quality out of laziness.

Oh. I'm ranting. Sorry. Comanche4? Not impressed.

Entropy

How can you judge this benchmark based on postings based on different systems? Who knows, one might have AGP1x without SBA and SDR system memory, the other AGP4x with SBA with nForce and DDR. And obviosly the benchmark does different things with different gfx class ( DX7/8 ) hardware, so you would have to set the things manualy in the config file to get really comparable results.

BTW: I just get the impression that some people just don't like the benchmark because they see that their system with silly expensive shader graphics card does not get more thant 30 fps.

I wasn't especially impressed either, neither by graphics or by gameplay. After 5 minutes or so I decided I had enough and uninstalled it.

Entropy, don't forget that the Unreal engine was initially developed mainly for software rendering, then later upgraded to Glide, and then to DirectX/OpenGL later on. The techniques it was based on is much more suitable for software rendering than what Carmacks Q2/Q3 engines were. Unreal had way better graphics that Q2 for instance, with high performance on Voodoo2 and lower hardware. What made Unreal so fast on old cards like V2 was that it has almost no overdraw. But as GPU's continued to get faster very quickly the optimizations in the Unreal engine became a brake instead. Today the GPU sits idle waiting for the CPU to sort out visibility in Unreal engine based games that the GPU itself would sort out faster. The quake 2/3 engines put more work on the CPU instead, thus they scale very well with newer GPU's. On my old G400 UT would run much faster than Q3 for instance, on my old Radeon the performance was about the same, on my current Radeon8500 Q3 run much faster.

I don't think we should complain about Tim Sweeney's work, his engine lasted quite long, but it's gotten outdated now. But he has realized that himself too, thus the Unreal2 engine is taking something similar to Carmacks approach. That's probably why he choose not to do any fancy LOD stuff on the terrain, it would probably end up being slower anyway if he spent to much cycles on sorting out how much detail he should draw the terrain with, he's probably only doing some really rough visibility stuff and throws the rest on the GPU, it'll probably be a better solution in the long run.

Well I got bored very quickly with the gameplay in the demo.

People playing the game get much higher fps than they get in the benchmark, utilising the same settings, what.

As for SBA making a differnce between systems? How much?

The reality is across DDR and SDR systems, 1gig Athlons to 2 gig pentiums, almost everybody is throwing out similar results. The one anomaly seems to be Ti200 owners who are claiming higher frame rates than Gf3 and Ti500 owners. Again without side by side comparisons of system specs you 'cant' draw conclusions. Other than some Ti200 owners on nvNews like to brag ;)

I'm sure we'll see a patch to address some of the issues, this is one of the 1st bechmarks besides Aquamark that uses some advanced effects and I'm surprised how quickly people are writing it off as crapola.

Besides I'm a sucker for seeing things blow up and if I see another Quake 3 timedemo I'm gonna lose it :p

Humus said:
I don't think we should complain about Tim Sweeney's work, ...

I disagree. :)
Though I can certainly forgive the man that he zigged instead of zagged on a particular technical point, I don't much care for his cathegorical statements, judgemental attitude and recently his infantile harping on how Unreal will have 100 000+ polys per frame.
First off, it's no guarantee that it will look particularly good. The Comanche4 Demo makes that embarrassingly obvious. Secondly, it implies that they don't do much (or any) LOD work, making for a gameworld bogged down with unnecessary detail at high distances in order to look reasonably good close up. Your comments about LOD are not without validity of course, but it is not as if it takes a huge amount of work to do, nor does it lhave to look bad, as long as you are not constrained by trying to reduce the scene to an absolute bare minimum number of polygons. Safe, conservative LOD is way better than none at all. Not using it is asking for trouble when you are creating a general engine, or an engine intended for multiplayer use.

Have _anyone_ here seen good framerates in any games when the polycounts climb beyond 6 digits? No, benchmarks such as 3DMarks don't count. Not too many such games around of course, and those that are may not be optimally coded, but.... I think a certain sceptisism is warranted. As long as you can reduce the polycount to improve framerate this won't be a problem, but that reduces all this "over a hundred thousand polygons" to marketing and little else.

We could probably have a good discussion here about how a large polygon budget should be used though. And what bottlenecks/pitfalls there are. New thread, someone?

And I'm sorry, but I can't help but comparing Sweeneys posturing with Carmacks nerdy :) description of how they make relatively few polys look really good, and how they allocate the available computing budget. it's probably a bit silly of me, but I know which attitude I'm comfortable with.

Entropy

BTW: I just get the impression that some people just don't like the benchmark because they see that their system with silly expensive shader graphics card does not get more thant 30 fps.

No, the benchmark is clearly CPU limited – mapping out the fillrate graph shows some real oddities with the Radeon 8500 because the drop off at 1600x1200 is far too much. Also the Pixel Shader don’t make much sense as so far all the testing indicates that its actually faster with PS enabled than disabled!

Back