A look at X800 and 6800 UK Availability

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
Hexus takes a look at the number of units shipping and where they are shipping for the new high end graphics chips from ATI and NVIDIA.

If you're interested take a look here.

Interesting. It really seems that Gainward have been one of the first to deliver cards in europe. I know someone in France that have one since the middle of june. But, the GT/U are still really scarce here. 6800s has begun to show up in Montgallet the "tech street" in Paris since the end of june.

Unfortunately for Nv and its partners (less for Ati at lleast for the X800pro) can't deliver enough cards to fullfill the demand which is pretty high.

Well I bought an X800pro VIVO, quick bios flash, and it's now a X800XT PE running perfectly. :) So if most pro vivos are XT PEs where's this shortage? Note it has the same RAM as the XT PEs... Maybe the shortage is the slower GDDR ram, and the priority is the mass market (pros?), so the ultra enthusiasts just have to wait?

euan said:
Well I bought an X800pro VIVO, quick bios flash, and it's now a X800XT PE running perfectly. :) So if most pro vivos are XT PEs where's this shortage? Note it has the same RAM as the XT PEs... Maybe the shortage is the slower GDDR ram, and the priority is the mass market (pros?), so the ultra enthusiasts just have to wait?

Which brand are the VIVO ones?
________
FORD TELSTAR PICTURE

Last edited by a moderator:
SsP45 said:
Which brand are the VIVO ones?

There are a few brands that sell VIVO (Video In Video Out), VIVO is just tagged on to the end of the name.

According to one UK retailer there currently is:

Club3D ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI - Retail
GeCube ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI - Retail
Gigabyte GV-R80P256V ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB VIVO TV-Out/DVI - Retail (GX-001-GI)
PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI - Retail (GX-025-PC)
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI - Full Retail (GX-076-SP)

Source: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X800_Series.html

So it looks like most companies do a VIVO model. I bought a powercolor one BTW. ;)

Only club 3d vivos seem to be 16 pipelines and only a few of them seem to work.

I wouldn't buy one betting your going to get to 16 pipes .

Availability seems to be getting better here in Europe. Up till now I'd only seen a handful of people getting new gen cards, and only by doing the clumsy preorder thing and accidentily hitting the vendor who got supplies first. But today I walked into a computer store in Amsterdam and much to my surprise they actually had one of the elusive 6800GT left in stock. So I thought it most prudent to take it home with me so I could look after it :). Oh and it's an Aopen.. of all things.

euan said:
Well I bought an X800pro VIVO, quick bios flash, and it's now a X800XT PE running perfectly. :)

There's a much higher probability that you'll be able to enable 16 pipes on a VIVO PRO than a non-VIVO...

Because they're originally manufactured as X800 XT PEs.

Rys

Evildeus said:
How come?

Seems that the VIVO models are physically the same as the X800XT. There are two different cores apparently. Most of the VIVO models have the XT core (or maybe it's just labeled as XT potential), and they have not had jumpers laser cut (like AMD do). The non VIVOs, have a differently labeled core, and have the tracks laser etched to disable the extra pipelines.

At forum of the above site I mentioned they had counted upwards of a 19/20 sucess rate. Don't know what it's at now. And as JVD mentioned, it's not a dead cert guarantee to get 4 extra pipelines, and a 45Mhz overclock. Just a nice bonus if your lucky. It maybe that as yields mature, the sorting / binning of the chips becomes more accurate and the sucess rate deminishes.

digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:
You are more likely to get the full 16 pipelines than the pipelines and the speed.
But ain't that still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick? :|

WIth decent cooling you can get the pro core clock high enough so u will get the x800xt pes performance . I have two clocked over 570mhz here. Have yet to try flashing the bios. Though i doubt it will work as they are offical ati x800pros

I guess what I was asking was which would give you the better performance increase if you had to choose; higher speeds or the 4 more pipes?

digitalwanderer said:
I guess what I was asking was which would give you the better performance increase if you had to choose; higher speeds or the 4 more pipes?

It depends .

Its what a 33% increase in fillrate for the 4 extra pipes ?

If you can only get 500mhz with 16 pipes thats 8000 megapixels.

You would need to clock it to 570ish mhz with 14 pipelines to get the same performance . of 8000mega pixels So of course the 16 pipes would be the best bet.

As detailed in our comprehensive reviews, all the products so far released by both ATI and NVIDIA based on R420 and NV40 respectively, offer almost quantum leaps in performance over previous generation products, and it seems there's more to come.
Somehow I doubt ppl would be so excited about NV40 and R420 were they to offer only quantum leaps in performance. :p

Interesting article. The real question is whether it's to ATi's or nV's advantage to preannounce products well before they can assure volume production? Some companies tend to do so repeatedly, so is there a mindshare or financial/corporate advantage that compensates for consumer discontent? Is it simply that they prefer to tout their products as "in heavy demand," to create an added aura of desirability? Or is the answer simply poor planning?

Back