A list of multiplayer (>2) games for consoles?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Does anyone know of a place with a database of multiplayer games for >2 players, particularly with reference to offline multiplayer on the same system, for both disc and download games? It's thankfully a growing trend to support social gaming, but when asked on yesterday what good games could be got for PS3, I was a little stumped. Warhawk came up of course, and there's the obvious ones, but it's readily apparent that someone looking specifically to buy multiplayer games hasn't got an easy point of reference to find something. Well, if there is an easy point of reference I don't know it! It'd be nice to have a game search engine where you could set parameters like "3 players or more, offline, splitscreen cooperative" and have a list of all titles that match your criteria.

Failing that I guess we could compile our own list.

Okay, here's my current thinking on a reference table. Division by platforms and competitive/cooperative, with figures for how many players per console and in the online experience. For example :

PlayStation 3

Cooperative Gaming

Code:
Game                      | Per System | Online | Mixed | Splitscreen | Download
                          |            |        |       |             |   
Warhawk                   |      4     |   16   |   Y   |      Y      |    Y
Untold Legends            |      2     |    3   |   Y   |      N      |    N
FIFA                      |      4     |   11   |   Y   |      N      |    N
Marvel Ultimate Alliance  |      4     |    4   |   Y   |      N      |    N
Competitive Gaming

Code:
Game                      | Per System | Online | Mixed | Splitscreen | Download
                          |            |        |       |             |
Calling All Cars          |      4     |   0    |   N   |      N      |    Y
Resistance Fall of Man    |      1     |   32   |   N   |      2      |    N
Pixel Junk racers         |      7     |   ?    |   ?   |      N      |    Y
The columns are for :
Name : Name of game
Per System : How many players per console, cooperating and competing?
Online : How many players online, on the same team in cooperating and in total in competing?
Mixed : Does the game allow a mix of multiple players per system with online gaming?
Splitscreen : Is multiplayer through splitscreen or not?
Download : Is the title a download title?

These figures above are for illustration purposes and I don't know that they're right. 2 player coop isn't being included because it's mainstream enough that it's easy to find games that support it. The purpose of this list is to compile a reference point for finding games you can share with more than one mate/family member at a time.

If people add games in posts below, I'll compile a proper list for all platforms. It'd be extremely helpful if you could format any data as above wrapped in Code tags so I can just cut n paste without having to add spaces for formatting! Just use (code) tags, copy the blank line between the column headings and entries, and fill in the blanks. Keep it to released games too. Anyone wanting to buy a game isn't going to be pleased to a see a title only to find it's not out for another 6+ months!

I'm also thinking of adding a rough genre categorization. That's tricky (is ME a shooter with RPG elements or an RPG with shooter elements, for example) and would also mess up the formatting adding a scrollable window which hides some of the info. What would people prefer?

Let's see, I'll kick it off then:

At the same time:
Warhawk
Calling All Cars
Fl0w
PixelJunk Racers (up to 7 players I think)
Sky Diving
Rocketmen
Gauntlet 2?

Not at the same time, but still 4 player:
Velocity Bowling (although not at the same time of course)
Super Rub-a-Dub

Full disc games
Marvel Alliance
Nearly every sports game (Virtua Tennis, the NBAs, the FIFAs, the PES, the NHLs, the Maddens, etc. - maybe we can list which ones aren't ;) )
If you got it on disc, Warhawk ;)

We might as well do upcoming as well:
Probably all sports games still ;)
Motorstorm 2 (nice trailer! should be awesome)
Haze
Resistance 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Brand new for the PS3, Army of Two was just released, I think last week. This game is the first to actually be built from the ground up as a 2 player game, so as I have read in reviews. IGN, gamestop, etc, have all done reviews already so check there if you want to read up.

I myself am waiting to get the game in the mail, via Blockbuster mail rental. So yes the reveiws where good enough for me to give it a whirl!

Doesn't count. We're looking at Army of Three or better.

EA and 2K sports titles...

NHL, NBA Live and FIFA are multiplayer online, using what they call "Team Online" mode or OTP.

You can have more than 2 consoles connected. Not sure if these games let you play with more than 2 controllers offline. Probably yes.

Madden is only 2-player online, not sure about more than 2 controllers offline.

There's a difference in studios. EA Canada are doing NHL, Live and FIFA while EA Tiburon does Madden, Tiger Woods and NASCAR. The latter two have minimal multiplayer components.

The 2K sports games do not support more than 2 players online. Not sure about offline.

Virtua Tennis isn't online at all.

NHL, NBA Live and FIFA are multiplayer online, using what they call "Team Online" mode or OTP.

You can have more than 2 consoles connected. Not sure if these games let you play with more than 2 controllers offline. Probably yes.

Both FIFA and NBA supports 4 players offline.

You should start putting the list together in your first post Shifty.

Flow can be played with more than 2 people?

Add Rock Band to the list of course!

Looks like we have some good >2 player co-op games to look forward to. And dont forget about LittleBigPlanet. Hopefully more games will to support more players as these kinds of games start to become more popular these days.

Looks like we have some good >2 player co-op games to look forward to. And dont forget about LittleBigPlanet. Hopefully more games will to support more players as these kinds of games start to become more popular these days.

This should be kept to released games only. It can be updated upon a games release.

Shifty: Table looks good.

Resistance: Fall of Man has 4 player split screen, as well as online MP. It does have a split screen co-op mode as well. Also if I remember correctly, the MP goes up to 40 players online, not 32.

The other thing you may want to consider, Shifty, is the old-school multiplayer system of short "beat my score" multiplayer which a few new games are pushing around.

A good example is Skate., which has a fun multiplayer mode where you try and beat the other person's tricks. I played that till late the other night with a few mates, even though it was largely just passing the controller around the room. In a way it reminds me of the classic Namco fighting tournament mode - which is a great way to get a bunch of people playing games together that otherwise may just be meant for two people.

There was actually a great Penny Arcade podcast about this relating to The Club, which has been criticised for being a bad shooter, rather than a good "Bizarre" game - that is, just like PGR and Geometry Wars, largely about the concept of score-chashing in an effort to reach the "perfect run". The main goal here is 2-3 short minutes of gameplay, before passing the controller to the other player to have a go and see if they can match you. I haven't played it, but I can see how some may miss the point. It's a (sadly) dying form of social gaming, which I personally blame reality TV for the social ADD you see in kids today :p

Et Deux

Don't forget Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds. 1 to 4 players sitting around the 'ole Plasma or 50 (YEAH FITTY :eek:) online in tournament play.

You should start putting the list together in your first post Shifty.

Flow can be played with more than 2 people?

Add Rock Band to the list of course!

Agreed! And yes, Fl0w supports 4 players simultaneous. I've tested it myself. ;)

Snakeball too I think?

Back