A friend of mine is having trouble registering.

I concur. Plus anyone not smart enough to follow the simple instruction isn't worthy of the board anyway!

Got round to adding the text to direct real humans to change the forum style to proceed with registration.

I tried to debug the issue first, and couldn't figure it out. At the rules acceptance page, if you switch to Old Style and then back to vB3D 2 (or LC), you get the reCAPTCHA there. Seems something happens when displaying Old Style that triggers it showing up.

Anyway, new users should see the text directions.

Where are those instructions supposed to be? I did not found them...

Tried registering with Opera 10. Failed. Tried again with IE 7. Failed. Tried to send an message to forum people by "Contact US". Failed. Finally, tried to look for some "Site Feedback" subforum and found this. Now I'm registered, but it wasn't a pleasant experience...

It seems the registration hint for humans won't show up as long as there is no cookies set and the skin is 'default'. If either of the vB3D 2 skins are chosen manually, then it's there.

Heh. A hint that won't show up until you no longer need it (since then the CAPTCHA shows up regardless) is a bit useless, isn't it... :)

Perhaps the text could be put into the rules textbox? When signing up you're supposed to confirm that you've read those at any rate.

Yeah people have raised this same problem to me on other forums after seeing my name here. Will point them to this thread (assuming non-members can even see it).

Ah, I'm off tomorrow so I'll spend some more time trying to fix it.

Back