A friend of mine is having trouble registering.

I can confirm it. I just tried to register with IE8 and the image and field to enter it are not there.

b3dlogin.png

EDIT: I just tried it in IE8 and Firefox and get the same screen. I'm not running any adblock programs or plugins either.

Make sure you have "*.recaptcha.net" in your trusted sites.

I've just had to debug this as my saved-login cookie for this site disappeared, and I needed to request a new password (I don't know the password, ever).

Jawed

I gave it a test some time back when the account creation method was changed, and I now think the main reason we don't get as many spammers is because you need to change to use the old skin to create an account. :???:

A big oops indeed, but a very effective mean to get rid of spammers, and that rocks !
;)

Well, we could ask Rys to warn users about that on the registration page, bots are unlikely to figure it out...

Agreed. The proper fix isn't to fix it in all styles, but to put up instructions for users to switch skins to register. :D

Yeah, there are some issues with the B3D skins and the new release of VB which I'm yet to get round to fixing. It's on my list.

Agreed. The proper fix isn't to fix it in all styles, but to put up instructions for users to switch skins to register. :D
Indeed. That would be a difficult CAPTCHA for your average bot.

OH, BTW, has someone changed the registration system back again? We had a dreadful spate of spamming up until a couple of days ago.

Indeed. That would be a difficult CAPTCHA for your average bot.

OH, BTW, has someone changed the registration system back again? We had a dreadful spate of spamming up until a couple of days ago.

Yep, I said I got scared of opening my moderator panel, so Rys changed it back to what it was.
I really think that writing on the default skin registration page to change skin to register is a very clever way to get rid of spam.

Back