A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

did a fine job at expanding dvd's life cycle.

better compression + faster internet speed can easily bring about a shorter life span for blu ray. Also better compression normaly requires more powerfull hardware.

Better compression, faster Internet, more powerful hardware can be a threat and an opportunity for Blu-ray.

Better compresion, better density did help DVD extend its dominance. Too bad they stagnated, and let Blu-ray took over.

Better compression, faster Internet, more powerful hardware can be a threat and an opportunity for Blu-ray.

Better compresion, better density did help DVD extend its dominance. Too bad they stagnated, and let Blu-ray took over.

How exactly did better compression help the DVD extend it´s dominance? it´s not like the last DVD´s produced were significant better than those produced a few years earlier.

And to many DVD´s suffered from "stuffed" content so whatever gains that was achieved during the life of DVD was to often wasted. Sometimes when i rip DVD´s for the PSP i am amazed by the total disregard for the actual movie. Extras, menus, and other crap take up so much space you wonder how this movie "really" could have looked like if every last bit had been used for the main feature :)

Better compression and better density. Look at how MS uses DVD9 on 360 to try to keep up with Blu-ray's capacity.

Better compression and better density. Look at how MS uses DVD9 on 360 to try to keep up with Blu-ray's capacity.
That's not due to better compression; that's due to BRD being overkill for most titles! DVDs still serve PCs well enough with their substantially larger memory amounts to fill. 6 GBs of assets is a lot to make. Throw in some movies and you'll be wanting more capacity, which is where BRD comes in, versus highly compressed video on XB360 if it's struggling for room.

I'm also looking at the title of this thread and thinking it's lost its way...

That's not due to better compression; that's due to BRD being overkill for most titles! DVDs still serve PCs well enough with their substantially larger memory amounts to fill. 6 GBs of assets is a lot to make. Throw in some movies and you'll be wanting more capacity, which is where BRD comes in, versus highly compressed video on XB360 if it's struggling for room.

I'm also looking at the title of this thread and thinking it's lost its way...

Doesn't this illustrate the benefits of larger density and better compression since the inception of single-sided, single layer DVD ? If compression tech didn't improve, and we are still stuck with SL, SS, they'd have to distribute games using many more discs (higher cost), or use a different format. Whether Blu-ray is overkill or not, I think it depends on the developers and what they want to do.

H.264 also allows HD movies to use red-laser had the DVD forum embraced HD from the get go, instead of ceding the leadership to Blu-ray forum. At least HD-DVD is somewhat alive in a different name in China.

Ohh for a moment there i thought we were talking about movies, not games :)

That's why I said "extend its dominance". :)

Doesn't this illustrate the benefits of larger density and better compression since the inception of single-sided, single layer DVD ?
Greater density and greater compression are two different things. Compression on non-video assets hasn't improved considerable since PS2's days and so DVD's capacity hasn't been extended. Instead, it just wasn't used very fully last gen, and is now being used fully this gen. none of which relates to media playback! Best I can see, this subject has come up from the suggestion of higher capacities needed for new formats, and whether PS3 could play them or not. That's all pretty by the way when discussing what these machines are like now for playing media.

Greater density and greater compression are two different things. Compression on non-video assets hasn't improved considerable since PS2's days and so DVD's capacity hasn't been extended. Instead, it just wasn't used very fully last gen, and is now being used fully this gen. none of which relates to media playback! Best I can see, this subject has come up from the suggestion of higher capacities needed for new formats, and whether PS3 could play them or not. That's all pretty by the way when discussing what these machines are like now for playing media.

[strike]You forgot H.264 ![/strike] (Oops, you said non-video assets).

Better density and better compression serve the same end goal: Increase the useable storage size. The innovation in 360 storage media is not just better density. They use better compression for textures and audio too right ?

With GoogleTV blending movie and web pages and 3D graphics, I don't think there will be clear distinction in the future. Besides, mentioning DVD9 can be used for games and other content is still valid when looking at how far SS, SL DVD has grown up, and how compression has helped (Applications like game need to stuff high priority content around the DVD edges). Blu-ray's BD Live and HD-DVD's web interactive tech are part of the so-called nextgen movie format.

The thread is all about the current gen machines and what they are able to play regards media. If and when movies come in a realtime 3D format using S3C or 3Dc texture compression, then you can bring that stuff here. Until then this thread is to discuss how people play movies and music, and stream content, to their boxes. :)

I mention GoogleTV because it's more obvious. The convergence of media is already in HD-DVD HDi and Blu-ray BD-J. Better compressions (H.264 and VC1) allow red laser to take on blue laser. Both can already deal with 2D graphics mixed with movie media. Information Theory is very important, especially in the media space.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101108005947/en/DEGE-2010-Quarter-Home-Entertainment-Report

The Digital Entertainment Group Europe today announced a Q3 2010 Software sales update which reveals that Blu-ray disc sales across Europe have doubled year-on-year, now accounting for 445 million Euros spent year-to-date. Combined with DVD sales consumer spending has increased 0.7 percent across the sector overall compared to the same period last year, reaching a total of four billion Euros.

“It is also important to note that today’s figures do not reflect the rapidly growing digital distribution sector, which would further underscore the strength in consumer spending in the European Home Entertainment sector.”

Hopefully, they continue the momentum and start to think more about BD-Live and other convergent media technologies.

As far as I know, the manufacturers were busy calculating BOM cost in BD-Live meetings when new features were brought up. :-/

BBC iPlayer may go international:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...911/BBC-aims-to-gain-from-global-iPlayer.html

John Smith, the chief executive of BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial wing, said it would open up the "under-exploited" market for UK shows, such as Top Gear and Doctor Who.
The move will mean that advertising could be introduced on to the iPlayer unless BBC Worldwide decides to charge viewers to use the service.
Executives have yet to decide which option will be introduced, but they said the Trust's decision will enable them to raise funds needed after the Government's decision to freeze the licence fee.

Luke Bradley-Jones, MD of Global iPlayer, said: "Our research has shown there is an international audience of British TV fans that are frequently watching TV online – and we are excited about rolling out our iPlayer VOD [video-on-demand] service to meet and grow this demand. We strongly believe the Global iPlayer is going to offer an excellent opportunity for the UK's creative industry to directly reach much sought after digital audiences and revenue streams around the world."

Hidefdigest.com just published a transcript of the BD-Live panel in Blu-con 2010:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...rings_the_Rain_to_Blu-Con_2010_&_BD-Live/5773

I got out most of the questions I wanted to ask. The tone of the conference as a whole was, “Rah rah! Blu-ray is the greatest thing ever!” It wasn’t my place or the purpose of the panel to upset that. And frankly, I do love Blu-ray, and find great potential in its interactive abilities – even if that potential hasn’t really been tapped yet. So, yeah, I tossed out some softball questions. But I also managed to get in some pointed questions about whether BD-Live is being used appropriately, and whether its direction needs to be re-thought.

Sadly, the studio reps in this particular panel were less open to discussing problems or issues.

Why not share effort ?

The studios seem genuinely excited about BD-Live and the ability to directly communicate with their customers. Universal touted 15 million streamed trailers via their BD-Live enabled trailer pre-roll as well as 300K Pocket Blu app downloads. Also, 'The Office: Season 6 owners can use BD-Live to watch Season 7 episodes the day after they broadcast. Sony touted MovieIQ and was surprised by the sheer number of trailers downloaded from their BD-Live portal.

In one of the panel's funnier moments, Josh asked why the studios develop competing technologies like Sony's MovieIQ vs. Fox's LiveLookup when it would be easier for the consumers to have one. The studio execs each joked that their technologies are available to every other studio…but not for free.

Josh tried to bring up issues like 'Predators' not working properly thanks to BD-Live and the need for firmware updates. It was an awkward moment because they didn't seem to care or notice that Josh wasn't speaking for himself, but for all of his readers who may not have three different Blu-ray players as a back up for when one isn't working with a particular title. Granted, Fox, the studio behind 'Predators', wasn't on this panel, but there seemed to be no accountability or acknowledgment of general problems. The tech companies said they wait for customers to tell them when there are issues, in essence blaming the studios. And the studios claimed they do quality control during the authoring process. If so, those in charge of checking these titles need to do a more thorough job.

They also published another 3D Blu-ray article on the site. I don't see any new info. If you're interested, it's on the same page as the above link.

Thanks to deathindustrial…
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/10/nhl-lights-the-lamp-on-the-ps3/

Hi Everyone – I’m excited to announce that the NHL is streaming its way onto the PS3! Beginning today, all PS3 users in the United States and Canada can download the new NHL GameCenter application, an exclusive offer for PS3 users making it the first and only gaming console to stream live hockey games in HD.

PS3 users that do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE will still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application. Fans will have access to features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and profiles, and the full NHL scoreboard.

You can download the NHL application for $9.99 and access it under the “Video” icon on the XMB menu. However, if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you can download the NHL GameCenter application for free, continuing PlayStation’s goal to deliver exclusive opportunities only made available to PlayStation Plus members.

Yay ! My money in PS+… they're werking.

Hopefully, they continue the momentum and start to think more about BD-Live and other convergent media technologies./

Agreed - the promise and potential behind BD-Live and its kin are immense, but most of the implementations I have seen on my own BD's seem half-formed at best. With processing and bandwidth concerns less and less an issue every year, they'd best get aggressive with their scope or lo and behold they'll find themselves in a position where someone else has using competing mediums and distribution portals. But all of that aside, it is nice to see BD as really coming into its own as an established media format.

Back