A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Why are people re-encoding Blu-ray ? Storage has become really cheap. Why not store it as is for all the quality ?

Why are people re-encoding Blu-ray ? Storage has become really cheap. Why not store it as is for all the quality ?

Lots of reasons. I can't tell the quality difference on the devices that will be playing the re-encoded files anyways (smaller bedroom tv's, laptops, etc). In the main tv room I still play the original discs. We'd need a much larger raid setup to store the massive m2ts files, meaning a far more expensive raid setup. The current media playback boxes like the 360/ps3 already have problems handling 3gb files, I imagine the situation would be even worse with 30gb files. If I go on a trip I can copy 20 movies over to a laptop because the files are small, not possible with the original m2ts files. CPU use is less playing back the re-encoded files so they are more likely to be playable on a wide variety of devices. The re-encoded files are far more wireless network friendly, the 30gb files will really stress a wireless connection. Portable devices that use memory sticks can still store 2 or 3 of my movie re-encodes, yet will not be able to hold even 1 m2ts. Etc, etc, etc... The entire purpose of my re-encodes is so that I can enjoy my movies anywhere without limitations, be it on a laptop while chillin on my hammock, or playing then in the bedroom. On my main tv where I want full quality, I just play the original disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current media playback boxes like the 360/ps3 already have problems handling 3gb files, I imagine the situation would be even worse with 30gb files.
In my experience the PS3 has no problems playing really large (> 10 GB) m2ts files using http streaming.

As an owner of both consoles, I would say that the PS3 is generally a better media player (and I use it as such)
, due to the fact that it can play Blu Ray, its much quieter, the HDDs are usually larger, and you can actually save videos to the HDD, unlike the 360.

However the 360 seems to be able to play more types of files, ie if theres a file my PS3 can't play the 360 more often than not will be able to play it.

And the the 360's visualiser is pretty cool once you know what you're doing.

However the 360 seems to be able to play more types of files, ie if theres a file my PS3 can't play the 360 more often than not will be able to play it.

To my knowledge, Xbox 360 can't play AVCHD files whereas PS3 can't play certain MS AV files (e.g., Lossless WMA). As for DivX, I think it depends on whether the Xvid extensions are used. If so, the video may not play on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Both also cannot play DTS audio track "as is".

To my knowledge, Xbox 360 can't play AVCHD files whereas PS3 can't play certain MS AV files (e.g., Lossless WMA). As for DivX, I think it depends on whether the Xvid extensions are used. If so, the video may not play on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

True, when trying to play certain HD clips the PS3 doesn't recognise audio, also some vids with AC-3 don't work either.

PS3 supports AC3 (AVCHD includes HD video and LPCM or AC3 5.1 audio). If there's missing audio, it may be MS's format (WMA Pro, WMA Lossless) or DTS.

If it's AC3 but PS3 doesn't recognize the audio stream, the container may be non-compliant.

AVCHD also supports interactive menu.

[rant alert incoming - shield your eyes]

I only have two major sources of media - both of them are free. I record all my TV off satellite freeview and I use internet radio.

When PlayTV was originally announced, I was quite excited for it. I put off making any decisions for a while in anticipation. But in typical sony style, they announced it way too early (It was over a year before release? - and even so, PlayTV isn't available in New Zealand)
Eventually I gave up and built a cheap vista media centre for streaming to the xbox. And I'm very happy I did. It cost less than the xbox, and was less than half the PS3 price (at the time).

In terms of ease of use and interface, I honestly don't think there is a comparison. The system is robust and very easy to use (it's very easy on the eyes especially). Begin able to watch the most recently recorded show in 2 buttons presses (from shutdown) is a good example.

And unlike the consoles themselves, it supports plugins. I have a couple of radio plugins (eg shoutcast) a brilliant weather plugin, a mostly useless internet TV plugin and even a web browser (which is rather useless as well :p).
If there is a video I can't play (rare, given I have very few videos), then there is a transcoding plugin too. (Although you have to press the 'info' button, and select transcode - after a couple of seconds pause it plays)
All of which work well with the excellent remote bundled with the xbox. My past tech illiterate flatmates really liked it (the rubbish they recorded... :p). Even my mum can use it when they visit :oops:

Windows7 will also improve things again, with *fingers-crossed* h.264 DVB-T support (New Zealand DVB-T freeview runs upto ~20Mb 1080p / 5.1). And the interface updates it look even easier to use and read.

Why do I say all this?
Becuase a while ago I finally bought a PS3.

While it's media capability may be superb, at the end of the day I feel it's badly let down by it's interface.
Part of this is my disappointment with the XMB - there seems to be absolute basics that it just doesn't get right.

I feel like I could write for pages, from minor UI inconsistencies to down right what the hell were they thinking decisions.
But the basics are that I find the UI to be cluttered, oversensitive, poorly documented and far, far too difficult to read (especially when there is even a hint of navigation movement).

Even the photo viewers (which are technically fantastic) feel like they were developed in isolation. And I have to say I feel the video playback controls are downright atrocious.

Yes, I'm slowly getting used to it's quirks - but frankly that's not good enough.
Colour me disappointed.

And the the 360's visualiser is pretty cool once you know what you're doing.

Yeah but I wish MS offered additional full 3D visualizer packs on Live Marketplace. I wouldn't mind paying a couple dollars for some really nice 3D visualization plugins.

While it's media capability may be superb, at the end of the day I feel it's badly let down by it's interface.
Part of this is my disappointment with the XMB - there seems to be absolute basics that it just doesn't get right.

I feel like I could write for pages, from minor UI inconsistencies to down right what the hell were they thinking decisions.
But the basics are that I find the UI to be cluttered, oversensitive, poorly documented and far, far too difficult to read (especially when there is even a hint of navigation movement).

Even the photo viewers (which are technically fantastic) feel like they were developed in isolation. And I have to say I feel the video playback controls are downright atrocious.

Yes, I'm slowly getting used to it's quirks - but frankly that's not good enough.
Colour me disappointed.

Yap ! I ranted about the same thing last year.

Individual media players have their own archaic UI that is totally different from XMB and everyone else. They should standardize on the playback panel (like the current audio playback panel). It can get irritating dealing with different UI in different media.

The folder organization type/style is also different for photo, music and video. There should be some basic similarity. For heavy media use, a DLNA server is necessary to organize the media better. Then you can stream or copy the media down for playback. At times, I wish there is write access to the server. The PS3 is pretty good at rotating large number of photos (faster and more convenient than on a PC). Unfortunately, I can't commit the changes to the server.

The under-utilized part is the web browser. I use it sometimes for Internet video. I wish I can see the bookmark/history right in XMB itself so I can jump to a page directly. That way, they can integrate HTTP-aware media server more seamlessly into the environment too. HTML can be a nice layout tool for media library.

I can't wait to try out the extender functionality of Windows 7. Instead of just supporting wmv and mpg, the extender will also support avi (divx and xvid), mp4, and m2ts. No mkv yet, but as long as the mp4 or m2ts support now allows 5.1 channel audio, I don't care. Only takes a few minutes to remux from mkv to mp4. And since it will all be through the extender, no more file size limitations or dealing with the crappy dashboard media interface.

I'll be trying this all out as soon as the beta is released. I know the 7000 build has showed up online already, but it's got some bugs that are supposedly fixed in the real beta.

DivX is releasing version 7 with .mkv support up to 1080p with aac audio. I'm thinking this should come to the PS3 soon, since it's a certified DivX player.

It's a new profile (DivX Plus™ HD) requiring a different level of hardware support. Laughably easy for the power of the PS3 but still, Sony will have to work out some kind of firmware update.

http://investors.divx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=357904

DivX Plus(TM) HD Certification Program to Bring Widespread Support for New DivX H.264 Technology to High Definition Consumer Electronics Devices

SAN DIEGO, Jan 07, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ --

Extension of DivX Certification(TM) Program Enables Blu-ray Players, Digital Televisions and More to Support Newest Version of DivX(R) Video Technology

DivX, Inc. (Nasdaq: DIVX), a digital media company, today launched the new DivX Plus(TM) HD certification program, which will enable consumer electronics devices to support the newest version of DivX(R) video technology based on the H.264 standard. Leading integrated circuit (IC) manufacturers Sigma Designs and Trident Microsystems, Inc. are the first two licensees to sign agreements for DivX Plus HD certification.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20081124/LA48153LOGO)

The new DivX Plus HD format, which enables the creation and playback of H.264 video in an .mkv file container with high-quality AAC audio, was introduced with the release of Version 7 of DivX for Windows software on January 6 on www.divx.com. DivX Plus certified devices will be able to playback a wide variety of video files with the .mkv file extension and AAC audio, whether created with DivX software or third-party tools. The first devices targeted to carry the "DivX Plus(TM) HD" badge, including Blu-ray players, HD digital televisions and set-top boxes, will be capable of supporting playback of DivX H.264 video at high-definition resolutions up to 1080p.

DivX Plus HD certified devices will also playback video files created using all previous versions of DivX video technology based on the MPEG-4 standard. Over 100 million DivX Certified(R) devices have already shipped worldwide from major manufacturers, and several DivX IC licensees are in the process of implementing the new DivX technology on their products to power the first DivX Plus HD certified devices.

"The DivX Plus HD certification program is an important step in enabling consumers to enjoy true HD video on any kind of device," said Kevin Hell, CEO of DivX, Inc. "The H.264 video standard offers great performance and visual quality and has gained traction throughout the industry for a variety of applications. With the release of our DivX 7 software and the corresponding DivX Plus HD certification program, we hope to speed the adoption of H.264 by offering a high-quality, consumer-friendly solution that will let consumers playback their HD videos on the PC, in the living room and on the go. We look forward to working with our broad ecosystem of consumer electronics partners to help improve the consumer video experience."

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143731

A DivX employee: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1234513&postcount=106

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2009/01/12/wireless-tv-out-comes-to-the-pc-via-the-ps3

The $50 program is simple. You download the software, start it up, and then turn on the PS3. The system will automagically see your PC under the video header in the system's menu. Start the "video," and boom! You're streaming your PC's desktop to your television.

The applications are nearly limitless. Do you want to watch Hulu on your televison? Show off a slide show? Display your StarCraft skills? Even the sound is pumped through the television speakers, making the program a useful tool for showcasing anything on your PC's screen.

Guinea Pig wanted. :devilish:

Argh, I registered but still no download link yet.

Incidentally, here's a Blackberry (cellphone) remote for PS3:

Emailed them about the error, and in response got:

-- do not edit --

Several people have reported this problem. We are working on this issue and will get back to you shortly.
Thank you.

Back