51gb HD-dvd discs approved for production

It's been nothing but good news for HD-DVD these past three weeks. :| I thought the Paramount deal would be the last good thing to happen to the format, but since then we've had all the bad news about Blu-Ray yields and the BD1.1 problems, the analyst who convinced Time Warner to go Blu-Ray in addition to HD-DVD has declared Blu-Ray dead, and then last week's news about China backing HD-DVD hardware:
The upshot here is this: The same country that has literally upset the LCD TV industry on its ear in just the last year alone, now has the specifications it needs to do the same with high-def video discs. While it makes so-called CH-DVD players for the home market (the name is subject to change, the new consortium says), China can also produce HD DVD players for the rest of the world, at prices that can best be described as Chinese.

All of a sudden, the incentive for studios such as Warner Bros. to call a halt to exploiting new disc technologies its own engineers had patented, and for Paramount to jump ship and abort its Blu-ray support, may be becoming clear.

The bit which interested me from your link, AlphaWolf, was this:
The approval by the Forum of a triple-layer hybrid might arguably encourage some studios to release certain titles only on HD DVD/DVD hybrids, which could in turn lead to some DVD buyers building up a library of HD DVD titles by default, before making the decision to upgrade to a hi-def video player. So far there have been no indications that the BD camp plans to support hybrid discs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the prices of these hybrid discs. :)

I was still recommending people who wanted an HD player to go Blu-Ray (via PS3) a week ago. I'm not any more. :eek:

So if you buy a HD DVD player in the store right now, it will play the triple layer disc? Will any player out there right now play the triple layer disc?

Anyway, you are right, HD DVD is putting up a decent fight. Of course, BluRay can go up to 8x, but it hasn't needed to.

Have you got any backup to this?
There's the 'usual chatter' to that effect on AVSForum, but as always there are insiders and self-alleged insiders who tilt both ways. There's so many with both hidden end expressed agendas over there than hardly anything can be taken at face value.

Personally, I think there aren't too many 1st gen players around, so they could afford to orphan those, perhaps with trade-in incentives. Current players, not to mention the soon upcoming models, not so much. Releasing media to an even more fragmented market could be a hard sell, even to studios that might have desired the increased capacity to begin with.

I actually find the tri-layer dual format disc more interesting. If they can loose both the flipper nature and price premium of the current combos (while keeping compatibility with most current players), that could be a further step towards supplanting DVD in a transitional period

How are they able to achieve ~20GB extra with just the third layer (15->30->51) :?:

Slightly OT, but is the higher disc capacity really that important :?:

How are they able to achieve ~20GB extra with just the third layer (15->30->51) :?:

The other layers will now be 17/34 and thus 51.

Slightly OT, but is the higher disc capacity really that important :?:

Accoding to Amir, no studio in the HD DVD camp has expressed a need for more capacity and clearly by the quality of transfers we see on HD DVD, the current specs are fine.

However, engineers need to earn their paychecks! so r&d continues and more importantly this is a huge PR win.

A few things remain to be seen:
1. backwards compatiability with existing players. Need details on this.
2. yields and cycle times. If the numbers are better than the BD50 then it's a bigger win.

Have you got any backup to this?

Sorry, it was in one of the links in my first post in this thread...

http://www.cloetens.be/custom/home/hd_dvd.pdf

Hmmm... I browsed around the Internet for more sources (an official announcement would have been nice!), and it seems that while Gen1 HD-DVD players have the ability to play triple-layer discs, it's referring to the 45GB triple-layer HD-DVD, not the 51GB one.

A lot of places are rumouring only Gen2 and Gen3 players will be compatible with the new Triple-Layer discs.

Bah, I can't find an official announcement! o_O Triple-layer is part of the original Gen1 spec, but that was 15GB per layer, not 17. It's possible that only the vast majority of HD-DVD players will be compatible. Where's the official announcement?!!

error5: I spoke to my A/V dealer about the TL51 issue and the impression he got while at CEDIA was similar to what amir said in that quote you posted: There's a possibility that the gen 1 drives will be able to read the 1st 2 layers (or the 1st 34 gigs) of a TL51 disc. The third layer could be reserved for non-essential extras if there's doubt that the gen 1 drives would have problems reading the third layer. Hopefully the tests will have good results.
From Thingy. Guess it's a wait and see. Much like the HD Disc war in general. :p

Completely laymens approach but...

Every best buy that I see in teh DC metro area has more HD-DVD titles on their shelves that BD. Call it a 3 shelf to 2 shelf ratio.

Completely laymens approach but...

Every best buy that I see in teh DC metro area has more HD-DVD titles on their shelves that BD. Call it a 3 shelf to 2 shelf ratio.

For the last year a couple of the BD exclusive studios have released exactly 0 titles, so it's not entirely surprising that they are starting to lag behind in store frontage.

I'm really surprized, I was really thinking that BD will win.
For me the quicker one format die the better for me ( and for a lot of consumers).

I don't follow the "format war" because I will buy the winner (wait & see attitude).

So paramount and some others studio shift make more sense.

Industry need cheap player and cheap media quickly, I guess they will a lot of annoucements soon.
Chinese manufacturing power can't be dismiss by movy industry.
8O
Big news for me! almost like a brutal update lol

It seems to me to be more of a "See, we have big discs too!" from the HD-DVD camp then actual progression in technology. How this will sway customers i don't know, personally i'm not very interested. But bigger discs is always better i guess.

This whole issue is getting long in the tooth.

That is the one thing I agreed with, if adoption takes too long then who cares about either HDDVD or Bluray. Maybe they can all work out a common format for the next version ;)

the analyst who convinced Time Warner to go Blu-Ray in addition to HD-DVD has declared Blu-Ray dead,

I wouldn't get too excited about the "analyst" Rob Enderle. He is a well known PR agent who runs a small consultancy for such things. He is the guy who claimed that under an NDA he had seen code which SCO alleged had been "stolen" from Unix and incorporated into Linux. SCO's claims have now collapsed in court rulings and have been shown to be total bunkum.

My opinion about Enderle is that if he writes an article like this, all it actually proves is that it is likely that somebody has commissioned him.

PenguinJim, thanks for posting all those links. Quite informative.

Zaphod, I agree about the hybrid being the most useful application for triple-layer. It's pretty neat that one can use the same side of the same disc in both a DVD player and HD-DVD player. How much of a quality compromise is there for the DVD part to only be single layer?

Thanks for the thread Alpha Wolf, and very nice summary of recent "The Perils of P/a/u/l/i/n/e/ Blu-ray" summary, PJ.

It's amazing how quickly this turned into the summer of their discontent for the B-r camp. But then this war has had an awful lot of swings back and forth already, and possibly more still to come. I still think Sony is more highly motivated than anyone else here and have the ability and motivation to keep B-r alive in the mid-term almost no matter what.

One more significant piece of good news for HD DVD might start some people heading towards the doors tho. I've always felt Disney was the kingmaker in home video.

If B-r, as is the rumble out there, is still having significant disadvantages on the authoring/production side, those could grow to be critical. As prices of players come down, and number of HD TV's continues to rise, the consumer demand for those titles is going to increase and that's going to increase the discontent of the Studios with infrastructure issues.

I find it curious that the DVD Forum wouldn't announce the new 3-layer disc approval themselves. I also find it pretty ominous that the announcement does not contain an assurance of backwards compatibility as part of the spec. They aren't stupid; they'd have to know it would be the very first question asked by anyone following the story. Not addressing it, while not conclusive as to the answer, does not bode well in my mind.

I wouldn't get too excited about the "analyst" Rob Enderle. He is a well known PR agent who runs a small consultancy for such things. He is the guy who claimed that under an NDA he had seen code which SCO alleged had been "stolen" from Unix and incorporated into Linux. SCO's claims have now collapsed in court rulings and have been shown to be total bunkum.

My opinion about Enderle is that if he writes an article like this, all it actually proves is that it is likely that somebody has commissioned him.

Do you even get to call yourself an analyst when you don't know it's "HD DVD" and not "HD-DVD"? At least for formal publication rather than an oopsie in a forum post somewhere?

I find it curious that the DVD Forum wouldn't announce the new 3-layer disc approval themselves. I also find it pretty ominous that the announcement does not contain an assurance of backwards compatibility as part of the spec. They aren't stupid; they'd have to know it would be the very first question asked by anyone following the story. Not addressing it, while not conclusive as to the answer, does not bode well in my mind.

http://www.dvdforum.org/39scmtg-resolution.htm

They held a special meeting just for you Geo :p

Back