4k resolution coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like this review. They could have done it better. Dislike from me. ;)

I was speaking about laptops and that price range is for the most disgusting, cheapest shit over there. When did I say that I will buy a laptop for 500$? :?:

You said they would flood and dominate the market.

$500 today will get you a very capable laptop. Cheaper is available.

I just expressed my thoughts in the wrong way, I'm sorry.

I have just in mind that 4k laptop displays will become much more common than they are now, that's it.

And no SSD. To me that makes all the difference...

Dumb ass consumers still think massive storage numbers are selling points for laptops. If it's not at least SSHD then it's a stupid decision considering the rest of the specs.

Dumb ass consumers still think massive storage numbers are selling points for laptops. If it's not at least SSHD then it's a stupid decision considering the rest of the specs.

:LOL:

Yes, definitely. Because it isn't the laptop manufacturer who decides how those specifications would look like. :rolleyes:

Using a HDD still works, if you want the 4K display to browse the web and read PDF etc. you won't die from it. GPU can be used to run games.

Storage is useful too and I dare say a 1TB HDD is much faster than e.g. accessing NAS through wifi.
The Macintosh way of having 128GB storage, impossible to expand internally would be dumb. Can't store enough RAW pictures and stuff.
Now if that laptop has a MSATA slot then you could stop complaining, but there isn't the full list of internal slots in the semi-advertisement articles. Else you can dump the BR drive (or HDD) and put whatever in place, this is a PC and you can do what you wish.

http://www.techpowerup.com/200290/asus-introduces-the-pb287q-28-inch-uhd-monitor.html#comments

ASUS Introduces the PB287Q 28-Inch UHD Monitor

ASUS PB287Q True 4K/UHD Monitor is now available in Taiwan, Asia Pacific, European and North American markets. Prices start from US$799 and will vary by region.

30lp98x.jpg

So much stuff happening on monitors right now.. and we still can't have all the stuff in a single model.

I'll just have to wait long enough to switch my old-ish 24" HP for a ~27" UHD 144Hz 3D OLED monitor with FreeSync support.
I'm hoping that ~5 years will be enough for such a monitor to become common enough to be affordable (<400€?).

So much stuff happening on monitors right now.. and we still can't have all the stuff in a single model.

I'll just have to wait long enough to switch my old-ish 24" HP for a ~27" UHD 144Hz 3D OLED monitor with FreeSync support.

I don't know for OLED, for OLED perhaps you will need to forget but this 30/60 Hz is way too low indeed, given that they market many TV panels with 100/200/400/800 Hz... :LOL:

I'm hoping that ~5 years will be enough for such a monitor to become common enough to be affordable (<400€?).

One-two years will be enough, I suppose.

Sony introduced a couple of cameras this past week with 4k capabilities, a compact with a 1 inch sensor and a full frame dslr.

But I believe they are at most 30fps and not sure they have HDMI 2. Nor probably some support for the HDR that display manufacturers are moving towards, so these may not be quite a source for the 4k HDR TVs which are coming.

Too bad ...

AFAIR the RX100 MK4 (the compact one) can only record for 4 minutes. The 4k video throughput is too large to write directly into the memory cards, so they're limited to using a RAM chip for the effect.
Supporting 60 FPS would mean it could only record 2min clips, or twice the RAM.

Is that because the encoding isn't realtime? That latest UHS spec SD cards can write 90 MB/s, which is 720 Mbps. Video rates are ~50 Mbps. Even 100 Mbps video should be comfortably writeable to external storage.

edit: Heck, even 10 MB/s minimum write speed cards at 80 Mbps. No reason storage should be a limiting factor.

Last edited:
It seems very unlikely to have a not-real-time video encoder as buffering 4 minutes of 4K video takes a lot of RAM (for 30fps, one second of 4K raw video takes 360MB in 4:2:0 format).

Time for celebrations if I understand it correctly. :)

Toshiba's Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced a refresh to its Satellite S Series of performance laptops timed with the Back-to-School selling season. The series features slim styling, premium design, includes two screen size options - 15.6-inch or 17.3-inch - and comes configured with the latest high-performance processors and technologies for top mobile performance, making it an ideal choice for power users, multi-taskers, media creators and PC gamers alike.

1080p and 4K Ultra HD Screen Options
With the option of a 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) IPS display, Full HD 1080p (1920x1080) or HD+ (1600x900) TruBrite multi-touch display, the Satellite S Series provides text clarity, better browsing, a bigger workspace and precision video and photo editing. A built-in DVD SuperMulti drive allows users to play music or watch the latest DVD movies.

http://www.techpowerup.com/213594/toshiba-reveals-new-premium-satellite-s-series-laptops.html

The first 17-inch 4K display?!

If true - hip hip hoorey :D

I'd say the 4K resolution came, so a thread about it coming has served it's purpose. Feel free to create a new thread about it being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back