3DMark 2K3 Interview

alexsok

Regular
HomeLan conducted an interview with Futuremark's Nicklas Renqvist and Patric Ojala as they talk about 3DMark03, the next upcoming version of their popular 3D graphics benchmarking software.
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=11605

Here's a snip:
Benchmark fetishists might want to take a look at the interview with Nicklas Renqvist and Patric Ojala of Futurmark featured at HomeLAN. TCFKAMO (the company formerly known as Mad Onion) is currently working on the latest version of their 3DMark series which is said to be released this quarter.

HL: How closely are you working with Microsoft, NVIDIA, ATI and other companies to insure that all the new graphical features in the latest cards are included in the test?
PO: As you can read on our website, AMD, ATI, Intel, NVIDIA, and Microsoft are all our Beta Members (check the site for a complete list). So they all get our beta builds and work very closely with us to ensure the quality and relevance of the benchmark. Our work starts by research of hot and up-and-coming technologies used in games now and in the future. Then, we look at where the hardware industry is heading. We then proceed and make an initial proposal for specification, which is then reviewed by the Beta members and they give us their feedback on it. After we have closed the specification, we then start the actual programming. Our Beta members receive development versions with which they can perform compatibility testing to ensure that there are no glitches and they also inform us of any bugs there might be. This process takes a lot of resources, but we think that it is the only way to make a solid and relevant benchmark.

HL: What new graphics tests will be incorporated into 3DMark03?

NR: We have a wide variety of new tests in 3DMark03. I can't spill the beans just yet, but we will of course introduce the new PixelShader 2.0 and VertexShader 2.0.
I'd still prefer the upcoming RightMark 3D open-source test over this one...

We then proceed and make an initial proposal for specification, which is then reviewed by the Beta members and they give us their feedback on it.

It would probably be beneficial if this stage were disclosed- either upon or after benchmark release.

I can't fault Futuremark for keeping sourcecode proprietary and confidential, but this described "review board" process and dialogue within being open to full, unedited public disclosure might lend to a better, more useful benchmark... as well as hone in on a more pure product release specification.

It would probably be beneficial if this stage were disclosed- either upon or after benchmark release
but this described "review board" process and dialogue within being open to full, unedited public disclosure might lend to a better, more useful benchmark... .
Which is why I prefer RightMark 3D over this one, among other reasons ;)

Argh, I can't stand it any more!

I hope that all EEs here will stand up with me and protest against the vile missuse of a good old short-form of numbers.

2k3 == 2300 and NOT 2003

This notation is very common in electronics, since it saves space on crowded circuit diagrams. It's been in use since before most, if not all of us were born. Don't change it!

This goes for 3DMark2K1, 3DMark2K3, UT2K3 and whatever name including a year you try to "compress".

Notice that the real name is 3DMark03, which don't have the erroneous "short form". And furthermore, it's shorter than the "short form".

I can't understand how people here can bicker about silly details in what person X said about card Y. And then leave this horrendous misuse of a good old short-form.

Ohh.. almost forgot:
:D

Basic said:
I hope that all EEs here will stand up with me and protest against the vile missuse of a good old short-form of numbers.

*stands up*

LOL, I never really noticed that before and now thanks to you it bugs the hell out of me. :D

Roll on 3DMark2.003E3... ;)

MuFu.

MuFu said:
There should be a world-wide ban on engineering-related humour.
Since it doesn't exist (I wanted to say non sequiteur, but realised I couldn't spell it) how can it be banned? :)

Back