3dfx Rampage ;)

I just wish Nvidia would call the NV30 "The Rampage". Then all these rumors, half rumors and half truths would be buried. It is a very good name to begin with, would give tribute for the 3dfx hardware engineers who are now Nvidia team members as well as a great marketing tool for those who use to love 3dfx products. Oh well we will probably see another Golly-Ge-Force card anyways.

noooooo calling it "The Rampage" would be baaaaaaad unless it was straight 3Dfx tech. i dont want to see the Rampage name desecrated by some damned nVidia hogwash.

Ante P:

go here: 3dfxunderground.cjb.net for your XP drivers. they claim to have decompiled the latest 3dfx drivers (well, the ones that were finished up by x3dfx, a company formed from the 3dfx driver development team in Dublin) and then converted that into C. yeah yeah some people are going to go "oh thats rediculous" but knowing the people bhind is as i do, i see that it is completely possible that they are serious. and even if not, the drivers sure work a-hell-of-a-good. now, let me look for those pics ;)

Yes biqubic can apply to texture filtering, but not to the description "simulate textures on a "cube" to cover all sides of an image".

The writer seem to have mixed it up with cube-mapping, which is a completely different thing.

Btw, analog computers are cool.
I once made an analog Pong (no not Phong). Lots of OP-amplifiers. The ball position and speed was stored as a charge in the capacitor of an integrator. The output was sent to a XY-coupled oscilloscope. Oooh, analog vector graphics. :D

they claim to have decompiled the latest 3dfx drivers (well, the ones that were finished up by x3dfx, a company formed from the 3dfx driver development team in Dublin) and then converted that into C. yeah yeah some people are going to go "oh thats rediculous"

Of course is possible, you reverse it, understand what asm code does and do the same in C, dont see where is the problem, there are even damn nice tools for that, which makes this quite easy (Softice, IDA pro etc).

Sage said:
noooooo calling it "The Rampage" would be baaaaaaad unless it was straight 3Dfx tech. i dont want to see the Rampage name desecrated by some damned nVidia hogwash.

Ante P:

go here: 3dfxunderground.cjb.net for your XP drivers. they claim to have decompiled the latest 3dfx drivers (well, the ones that were finished up by x3dfx, a company formed from the 3dfx driver development team in Dublin) and then converted that into C. yeah yeah some people are going to go "oh thats rediculous" but knowing the people bhind is as i do, i see that it is completely possible that they are serious. and even if not, the drivers sure work a-hell-of-a-good. now, let me look for those pics ;)

Thanks mate! Do you know if any drivers for Voodoo 5 6000 works in XP?
There's a change I might borrow a V5 6000 for my FSAA roundup (mmmmm 8x RGSS.....) and I sure would like to save me the hassle of installing 98/ME. :)

(btw the link didn't work for me.)

edit: I saw that the site has been down for some time due to some fight with their host

I found the beta 5 revision at voodoofiles, is that the absolute latest version? (I also noted that it had V5 6000 support, does anyone know if it works properly?)

Fuz said:
Tagrineth said:
Ah well, so much for such and such, Bones basically listed everything there is to list about Rampage and SAGE, minus performance... and I'm not talking projected performance either. :) I wonder if Aquo would let us post some numbers...
I am sure no one would mind if you posted some numbers... please.... pretty please.... with sugar on top...

Heh... people would mind alright. They have my signature and everything. ;P

yes, the drivers work great with V6000. i would really like to see that roundup :) hmm..... links not working for me either. its been a long time since i was there, anyone have word on whats going on?

3hdq is still operational... sort of.

They just registered TDHQ.com/.net/.org, plus 3DHQ.org... (finally!)

Beta 6 is the latest revision so far, but from what I've heard, the Amigamerlin 2.5 (3dhq beta5) is better and less buggy. I dunno, though... haven't tested myself, what with my V5 being dead and all :rolleyes:

Tagrineth said:
Heh... people would mind alright. They have my signature and everything. ;P
You mean the NDA you signed lasts forever? That NDA must have an expiration date, right? :D

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I'm not in this list... don't forget Kristof too.

Of course both of you should be included; I'm pretty sure I forgot more than that, but you got my drift anyway.

edit:

Spectre would have been highly competitive to NV20 (with dual chip Spectre holding still a good position against NV25), while pricing and price drops as time would have gone by, would have been a chapter of it's own.

Fear was "the one" Rev is hinting on and was aiming to surpass by a lot the competition (in theory at least, if the predicted frequency would have become reality with .15um, but I can't figure what kind of DDR it was predicted to have, unless we're talking about asynchronous core/ram frequencies here).

All of it is RIP more than 2 years now; however one might flip it we're in the realm of R300/NV30 these days and I have severe doubts that either designs above were to be more advanced than those.

aww Tag your Voodoo5 died too? :( i felt so bad iafter i killed mine. trying to mod it with better cooling? :p

Sage said:
aww Tag your Voodoo5 died too? :( i felt so bad iafter i killed mine. trying to mod it with better cooling? :p

Yyyyyyup. Chipped the microtraces around the packaging of one VSA while levering the old HSF off with a screwdriver. :\ And no it can't run in 'Voodoo4' mode, unfortunately... seems I broke the Master chip :(

Vince: Don't search for your name at x-3dfx.com... that site is a recent development. :p Search for posts by 'Insider' at x3dfx. And don't worry, they have CSC Gold. ;P

Ante P said:
just buy I new one :)
they're pretty cheap nowadays

Heh, already bought a Kyro II as a replacement long ago. At the time it was a much better idea seeing that the K2 is faster and has a lot of features missing in the VSA (sadly though, neither supports cube maps :()

Tagrineth said:
Ante P said:
just buy I new one :)
they're pretty cheap nowadays

Heh, already bought a Kyro II as a replacement long ago. At the time it was a much better idea seeing that the K2 is faster and has a lot of features missing in the VSA (sadly though, neither supports cube maps :()

ughh that reminds me, I need to get a Kyro II

was the Kyro II SE ever availible in retail?
our distributers doesn't carry it :(

Ante P said:

As far as I know, no, you probably have to special-order it from Hercules or VideoLogic. :-?

Tagrineth said:
Ante P said:

As far as I know, no, you probably have to special-order it from Hercules or VideoLogic. :-?

*starts bugging Guillemont and VideoLogic right away*

8)

Back