3dfx Rampage ;)

I did find it amusing Vince mentioned beating out Tagrineth's mouth. Perhaps it is easy to forget some of the internet users are women? Bang ZOOM to the moon Alice!!!!

LittlePenny said:
I did find it amusing Vince mentioned beating out Tagrineth's mouth. Perhaps it is easy to forget some of the internet users are women? Bang ZOOM to the moon Alice!!!!

Lol, good point; but actually, they threatened me.. This is funny stuff:

Tagrineth said:
Vince, sometimes I'd love to rip your throat out, because you've been called on a lot of bullshit in the past

bonehed316 said:
im not going to threaten to rip your throat out, but id love to take you out back for a few minutes

HA! I'd just like to see the two of them try :)

Bonehed316 said:
you know nvidia plays dirty. they ADVERTISE that they sue more companies than anyone else. theyre PROUD of it. they
fight dirty. theyre snakes. all of them

Hmm, probably true, but i guess they learned how to become snakes from the 3Dfx lawsuit against them for TwinTexel.

hey vincey boy, i dont take kindly to you threatening to hurt a woman. i dont care if she kicked you in the balls, i dont even care is she's the head of nVidia PR! beat Bonehead up all you want, altho i will have to jump in on his behalf but dont EVER threaten a woman, especially a 3Dfx gal!

ok well anyways, as to what Bonehead316 said:
im not so sure the Rampage / Sage were quite what he says... (no gates? hehe, im just a lowly EE student and i know better than that ;) but i have done quite a bit of research into the fall of 3Dfx, and it appears to me that someone.... someone high up.... wanted 3Dfx to fall. And i cant believe i didnt think of it before- they were conspiring with nVidia! There certainly was a LOT of mismanagement inside 3Dfx, but there were other factors too. The Voodoo5 kicked the GeForce2's ass on the mac platform, but a certain someone at apple reallt hated another certain someone at 3Dfx, and so made an executive descision to use GF2s instead of V5s. had the V5 been used by apple, 3Dfx would have been saved.

you claim the Rampage was vapourware like BitBoys?
the day before 3Dfx signed the papers, the Rampage was ready for final testing and mass production. I know of someone who has one :) and im sure that there are a few more floating around...

[edit]:
oh yes, and lets not forget about Mojo :) just as revolutionary as Rampage :D

Wow Sage, That reminded me of something.....

Mojo was to feature some essential innovations – the implementation of some type of hardware filtering when each tile of the screen buffer stores not only dot colors, but also the information about primitives that touch it (binning architecture). I.e. triangles sent to the accelerator would be hardware-sorted directly on fly at the expense of their owner tiles definition. Besides, Mojo was to feature the 16-bit floating format for color components calculation and storage. It could produce very precise 64-bit floating colors as well as the broadest dynamic range. And maybe even something else, who knows… The future is probably for tiled architectures, and the following NVIDIA products (30-40 series) will undoubtedly incorporate some key concepts from Mojo

Awfully similiar in wording to this patent:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&co1=AND&d=ft00&s1=Nvidia&OS=Nvidia&RS=Nvidia

A method and system for efficiently rendering and displaying the color intensity information of a pixel in a computer system is disclosed. The pixel includes a plurality of fragments. The method and system comprises providing a weighted average of a preselected number of the plurality of fragments for a pixel for a plurality of the color intensity information to a first portion of a register

Smarter pixels anyone?

Sage said:
you claim the Rampage was vapourware like BitBoys?
the day before 3Dfx signed the papers, the Rampage was ready for final testing and mass production. I know of someone who has one :) and im sure that there are a few more floating around...

Someone NEEDS to leak a lot of info if that's the truth. :)

Someone NEEDS to leak a lot of info if that's the truth.
wha...? i thought that was common knowlege.... oops.....

edit:
youve seen the Rampage pics and Q3 screenies, right?

Marco,

I understand that the patent relates to AA. And of course the information about mojo is old and possibly incorrrect (Actually that is what I am getting at).

Forget that it says binning I don't what to get into that whole IMR vs Defered debate, but more or less the idea of storing fragment coverages for each pixel.

Do you think it is possible that whoever wrote that article about mojo misinterpreted the fragment storage as binning instead of what it now appears to be AA? (AA for Free?)

Since patents are typically as vague as possible what kind of equivalent MSAA would this produce? Since it's dynamic are we talking 8x or higher? Anyone?

Sage said:
hey vincey boy, i dont take kindly to you threatening to hurt a woman. i dont care if she kicked you in the balls, i dont even care is she's the head of nVidia PR! beat Bonehead up all you want, altho i will have to jump in on his behalf but dont EVER threaten a woman, especially a 3Dfx gal!

Wow, this is too funny to let go. "Kick me in the balls" "Head of nVidia PR" How old are we again?

(a) Whose a girl?
(b) How would I know?
(c) Who did I threaten?
(d) Like you'd stand a chance?
(e) Who even cares?

Shouldn't you be off trying to uncover the scrolls of advanced knowledge on Rampage left behind by the tragic and abrupt destruction of Atlantis?

PS. It's been "3dfx" since late '99 - not "3Dfx"

edit: Tag always uses the sig "that girl who knows womething about something" or something like that..... and being kicked in the balls by the head of nVidia PR is about the most devious situation i can come up with and would demand immediate and extreme retribution.... but you cant cause she's a girl :p and as for "3Dfx" vx "3dfx" i know i know, but i prefer "3Dfx" because that was the name of the good ol company i loved, things changed and so did the name :( maybe they should have just stayed in the arcade graphics buisiness <gasp>

thats it, i cant help myself... let me prepare something ;)

okay here it is, but you didnt get this from me:

http://www.newgpu.com/3dfx/3dfximm2kdoc.ppt

and just for the hell of it:

http://www.newgpu.com/3dfx/glidexpsrc.rar

the site should be able to handle the bandwidth....
have fun 8)
.... oh and im taking it down at 10:00PM CST today

oh yeah, anyone good at graphics or coding wanting to help out on the site? i got all the costs covered, its just for fun.

Merf... oi, Vince, glance at my sig for a split second if you want to know who's a girl. :p And my apologies about the throat-rip-threat-thingy, I just got kinda ticked because it seems like every time anything 3dfx-related comes up, you enter as fast as possible and do nothing but shoot everyone else down. :\

Interesting coincidence about Insider at x3dfx though, because he signed every post as 'Vince'. And would always do EXACTLY the same thing you do. And seems to know EXACTLY the same things you do. And uses EXACTLY the same sentence structure and general phrasing... catch my drift? Unless you have a twin of some sort... ;P

Ah well, so much for such and such, Bones basically listed everything there is to list about Rampage and SAGE, minus performance... and I'm not talking projected performance either. :) I wonder if Aquo would let us post some numbers...

well someone leaked the texture computer slide before. I've seen that.

When did you reckon you would be able to issue that Dave?

Up to some point it's entertaining to read all the crap that's been stuffed up to now in this thread, but beyond that enough is enough.

People like DaveB, Wavey, JohnR, Vince and the likes had strong connections to the late 3dfx when it was alive and what some of them have claimed in this thread reflects the reality concerning Spectre the way I was/am aware of it.

I don't care what some of you former 3dfxU folks are supposed to hold, what supposed "insider" info you had/have or any other related nonsense. The next best thing I'm going to see claimed from there is that you are developing hardware all of the sudden, besides the supposed driver development. Oh please..... :rolleyes:

Randell said:
well someone leaked the texture computer slide before. I've seen that.

Not a lot of people knew, but just after the announcement that they were selling, things went to pot for some reason - their developer site, which should normally be protected suddenly lost its password protect (now I think about it it may be on purpose) and was available for anyone to suck the docs off of, so it wouldn't surprise me if a number got out. However, while many of the Immersion 2000 peripheral docs were available on that site the main Rampage presentation wasn't - you had to get that directly off the Dev rel manager AFAIK.

When did you reckon you would be able to issue that Dave?

Well, would have been years ago had they still been about - noone really knows since its now owned by NVIDIA though.

Bi-cubic filtering : An advanced form of filtering to simulate textures on a "cube" to cover all sides of an image.

Not sure if anybody else saw this, but this makes no sense! I mean, come on...

Linear: ax + b
Quadratic: ax^2 + bx + c
Cubic: ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d

Bicubic uses a cubic interpolation, as opposed to the linear interpolation used by most filtering techniques.

How in the hell does this translate to simulating textures on a cube?

Back