3dfx Rampage ;)

Chalnoth said:
Bi-cubic filtering : An advanced form of filtering to simulate textures on a "cube" to cover all sides of an image.

Not sure if anybody else saw this, but this makes no sense! I mean, come on...

Linear: ax + b
Quadratic: ax^2 + bx + c
Cubic: ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d

Bicubic uses a cubic interpolation, as opposed to the linear interpolation used by most filtering techniques.

How in the hell does this translate to simulating textures on a cube?

Am I the only one who sees the quote marks around the word cube?

Basic said:
No interpretation of those quotes can turn that sentence into something that makes sense.

That's until you realize that there are no gates - they have all been converted into transistors. After that, everything falls into place.

That's until you realize that there are no gates - they have all been converted into transistors. After that, everything falls into place.

ROFLMAO.....
yeah it's amazing how noone thought to replace gates with transistors before the Rampage. Oh, i have an even better idea! lets replace all the gates with vacume tubes! just think of how much power that would save too...

obtw Vince, i wasnt really being seriously upset with you. i was just horsing around, as im sure the others were too :p
BUT, i also noticed the similarities Tagrineth mentioned..... let's see if she can figure out the name i used at x3dfx :) ill give you a hint- i used to be very paranoid dillusional, and at one time had some serious issues about FixJack, or "FixedJack" ;) if you remember that fiasco i had about 1 1/2 years go......

i just had a CrazyIdea(TM).... what if the NV30 were microcode programmable? remember the biggest advantage to microcode programmability is you can update it, hence make it support new standards / features as they come out (albeit it could slow things down depending on the complexity of the new operations vs power of the core)

Tagrineth said:
Merf... oi, Vince, glance at my sig for a split second if you want to know who's a girl. :p And my apologies about the throat-rip-threat-thingy, I just got kinda ticked because it seems like every time anything 3dfx-related comes up, you enter as fast as possible and do nothing but shoot everyone else down.

Because it's like beating a dead horse. We know what happened, we lost our money.. life goes on. This isn't a healthy lifestyle that your exhibiting. I know I'm not the only person that wishes this 3dfx forever banter would just die.

Interesting coincidence about Insider at x3dfx though, because he signed every post as 'Vince'. And would always do EXACTLY the same thing you do. And seems to know EXACTLY the same things you do. And uses EXACTLY the same sentence structure and general phrasing... catch my drift? Unless you have a twin of some sort... ;p

Wow.. do we need to get Geeforcer in here to laugh at you again or what? It's obvious you don't know me in the least - nor do you know much at all. I just went to the amazing place known as x3dfx.com and couldn't find a single search entry of Vince on that board. What gives? What do you have against me? Am I your father or something or what.

Obtw Vince, i wasnt really being seriously upset with you. i was just horsing around, as im sure the others were too

Ok, but I'm really getting sick of everytime I make a post on the topic of 3dfx having a pack of 15 year olds jumping all over me. I posted alot more of the stuff you guys drool over under my strait up name of Vince at Fool and Toms - why would I change? it's ridiculous. Now if you don't mind, it's shower time.

Hey, does anyone know what happened to SWE69?

Ailuros said:
People like DaveB, Wavey, JohnR, Vince and the likes had strong connections to the late 3dfx when it was alive and what some of them have claimed in this thread reflects the reality concerning Spectre the way I was/am aware of it.
I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I'm not in this list... don't forget Kristof too :)

Randell said:
well someone leaked the texture computer slide before. I've seen that.
I posted that here (after deciding to have a bit of fun).

There are a whole lot more to "leak" (a wrong word to use, since I'm not talking about slides but email trading sessions with public-and-not-so-public ex-3dfx personnels) but I'm not sure if these stuff are interesting anymore nowadays.

Reverend said:
I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I'm not in this list... don't forget Kristof too :)

Yeah, definatly. IIRC, you 'talked' to Gary Tarolli a hell of alot more than I did. :) The other Dave [Barron] and Kristoff worked there... heh... why am I on this list again?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm the "in-the-closet-nVidia-superfan" who was the ringleader of the cybermonkey spies... My bad. :rolleyes: lol

Actually, the whole gates/transistors thing isn't complete hogwash.

At the lowest level, it is transistors. Transistors are not synonymous with gates, however. Gates are built with transistors (a NAND 'gate' is typically 6 or so transistors).

So yes, a design synthesises to gates, which are then realized by transistors in the layout.

Not that the person who wrote that knew that, but it sounds more like they understood half the story, rather than just making shit up.

Tagrineth said:
Ah well, so much for such and such, Bones basically listed everything there is to list about Rampage and SAGE, minus performance... and I'm not talking projected performance either. :) I wonder if Aquo would let us post some numbers...
I am sure no one would mind if you posted some numbers... please.... pretty please.... with sugar on top...

RussSchultz said:
Actually, the whole gates/transistors thing isn't complete hogwash.

At the lowest level, it is transistors. Transistors are not synonymous with gates, however. Gates are built with transistors (a NAND 'gate' is typically 6 or so transistors).

So yes, a design synthesises to gates, which are then realized by transistors in the layout.

Not that the person who wrote that knew that, but it sounds more like they understood half the story, rather than just making shit up.

That's the thing though: Gates are made with transistors; but apparently (according to Bonehed) Rampage used revolutionary "gateless" technology and only had 18M transistors because "it used transistors instead of gates". That makes about as much sense as a revolutionary wordless book: it only has X amount of letters because all words have been replaced by letters.

Fuz said:
Tagrineth said:
Ah well, so much for such and such, Bones basically listed everything there is to list about Rampage and SAGE, minus performance... and I'm not talking projected performance either. :) I wonder if Aquo would let us post some numbers...
I am sure no one would mind if you posted some numbers... please.... pretty please.... with sugar on top...
Fear [edit]was[/edit] The One, not the two you mentioned. We were talking 50x faster than a V5 6000 with Fear.

Vince loves those Fear vs. Geforce2 Ultra numbres. :)

Anyway, there's a lot of people on that "list" and it doesn't really matter. It was really easy to like 3dfx, the company and its people. We had our fun, but now there are plenty of new things to be excited about, no need to keep bashing the same story over and over again.

3dfx - it was fun while it lasted.
The end

Reverend said:
Fear [edit]was[/edit] The One, not the two you mentioned. We were talking 50x faster than a V5 6000 with Fear.
Umm... I am not sure if you are joking or not Rev?

What about those Q3 shots???

Are there any shots of the card?

And which person shoudl I kill/hold for ransom if I want one?

Right now I'm trying to convince my site to provide me with a Voodoo 5 5500 for an upcomming FSAA roundup ranging from most cards since the GF2 up to the Radeon 9700 Pro (and possibly the nv30 if we can get out pre-production sample in time).

Theres one site that has them in stock at least (white boxed though).

btw, which driver would be the most functional in XP?
I mean there's loads of them, every kid on the block seems to be modding 3dfx-drivers nowadays.

What happened to the "new 3dfx drivers" project that Bayond3D has reported on many times?
Was it closed down? Or what's the link?

No gates, just transistors, a lot of computation per transistor, radical design, ....

It all becomes clear to me!
The Rampage was an analog computer.
Coooolnes!!!!
;)

Sage:
RISC, VLIW, straight microcode. The difference can be rather small.

Microcode programmable doesn't have to mean that it's more "updateable" than with VLIW. It just means that it has an extra layer of decoding, and you can "program" on both sides of this layer.

Back