3D is back Baby!

I don't know about any of that but I do know that the 3D effect on my old 3D Vision monitor was perfect from 1-2 feet away. Granted I always set it to add depth to the image rather than to pop out of the screen which may have been due that being uncomfortable at that distance (I don't remember tbh). But in terms of adding depth it was spectacular. The screen essentially became a window onto a 3D world, and depending on how you set the 3D effect it could look anything from a miniature diorama to almost life sized cinema proportions.
I'm afraid window-like (ortho) view is impossible without some degree of collimation. Thing is, a cinema screen is so far away it counts as collimated to a good degree. I sold my 3d vision monitor after days it just doesn't compare with wallsize projection for stereo and not even 4m distance is good for depth.

I'm afraid window-like (ortho) view is impossible without some degree of collimation. Thing is, a cinema screen is so far away it counts as collimated to a good degree. I sold my 3d vision monitor after days it just doesn't compare with wallsize projection for stereo and not even 4m distance is good for depth.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here, but if the suggestion is that any viewing distance lower than 4m is no good for depth then that's flat out wrong.

As mentioned I got a spectacular depth effect on my monitor at less than half a meter. I have a 55" OLED 3D TV which I use from around 2m, a VR headset and have watched a good couple dozen 3D movies at the cinema so I know exactly what I'm comparing to here. The best 3D experience in terms of depth outside of VR (which is essentially a wash) is/was with 3D Vision.

That said, I grant it was likely the actual implementation that delivered such a good experience as opposed to anything screensize related. But the smallish screen coupled with close viewing distance was definitely not a hinderence for depth perception. Hell if it were, VR wouldn't work!

Oh and 3D vision had limited depth setting on monitors vs. projectors for a reason and "registry hackers" were sorely mistaken in their approach.

I've always wanted to try 3D gaming, my 4k TV downstairs is 3D (active) and I still have the active glasses.

There's no 3D option if I plug my PC in to it, does anyone know how I can get it to the point where I can use/try it?

I've always wanted to try 3D gaming, my 4k TV downstairs is 3D (active) and I still have the active glasses.

There's no 3D option if I plug my PC in to it, does anyone know how I can get it to the point where I can use/try it?

Nvidia's 3D Vision had a standard TV 3D output option as well as the more advanced 3DVision mode for 3DVision monitors. Problem is Nvidia retired 3DVision years ago and it's no longer supported in their drivers. A quick Google should tell you what the older supported driver is (it's 4xx from memory) and then you'd have to roll back to that and install the associated 3DVision software that usually comes packaged with the drivers. Following that you should be able to configure 3D through the NVCP to work on your TV in supported games.

Obviously you'll be using an ancient driver though. Plus no modern games support 3D, plus the TV 3D was never really that good anyway.

If you have a good TV it can be really good. I was really impressed with my Panasonic plasma.

Depends on the definition of good to be honest. I had an active plasma and now I've got a passive OLED. Both give a pretty great 3D experience in movies that is generally better than cinema. And for games the experience was probably comparable. But coming off the back of 3DVision it was quite poor by comparison. 3DVision is still the best example of 3D anything I've seen outside of VR, and arguably including VR due to the relatively low resolution.

Back