360 slim hard drive

Well it came in yesterday! I had no idea how simple the "install" would be, so easy a caveman could do it lol. I was surprised that I didn't have to do anything at all, just power up the console. I went to memory settings and it said 228GB free, i just moved everything from flash drive and the internal memory and everything just worked.

* I did have to re-install the 2 disc-based games though

Just have 1 more question.....
when i just had the 4GB of internal memory I think I had 3.1GB free after mandatory system stuff, so why after putting in the 250GB did I only have 228 GB free before x/fer my files over?

probably with the conversion factory use is 1000 while in reality the have to use 1024.
Like in the laptop i have now the ad said 320 gig hdd but i only have around 290 gig.

probably with the conversion factory use is 1000 while in reality the have to use 1024.
Like in the laptop i have now the ad said 320 gig hdd but i only have around 290 gig.

Indeedy. The "250GB" basically has 250,000,000,000 bytes, which is actually equates to 232GB.

Pain in the hole.

Yes, along with, like PS3, a percentage of HDD reserved for OS no doubt.

This is what has me confused though, I'm sure the space reserved for OS wouldn't increase just because I'm using a larger hard drive now. Like I said I had maybe 3.1 or so GB left when i was just using the included 4GB. Either way I'm happy the drive worked so theres that.

2GB is reserved for backward compatibility and I believe another 4GB for HDD caching (not install).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911593

The Xbox 360 system reserves approximately 6 GB of space for the following:
Approximately 4 GB is reserved for game title caching and for other hard drive-specific game elements for games that support the use of the Xbox Hard Drive.
Approximately 2 GB is reserved for use by the Xbox 360 backwards-compatibility software that allows you to play older Xbox titles on the Xbox 360 console.

Things might have changed with the 250GB what with the installation capability nullifying the point of the HDD streaming cache. You certainly don't want the Halo 3 situation of reading from the HDD while you read from the HDD so you can load while you load and wait while you wait. :eek:

It'd be interesting to see just how devs are accounting for HDD-less SKUs whilst now having to differentiate between the HDD cache and the HDD install. i.e. if folks don't install, but still have an HDD, do they bother with the HDD cache or just assume it's HDD-less (more Q&A with the three situations).

Back