360 slim hard drive

Alkohallick

Newcomer
i bought a 4GB slim maybe 2 weeks ago and now i want to get the 250GB hard drive.

Before i make the purchase i just want to know if i need to do anything special to keep all my saved info. I currently have everything saved on a 16GB flash drive. Can i just transfer that to the new hard drive or how does this all work?

Thanks!!

Yup. Just select the flash drive, then transfer content. Select everything. Move the cursor to the right so you can start the transfer. I felt kind of silly sitting there looking for the button to press to start everything, but I suppose that prevents accidental transfers from occurring.

Make sure you transfer the DRM licenses as well via Xbox.com. My Xbox -> Account -> Marketplace -> transfer content licenses. There will be more instructions, but it's pretty straight forward.

Doesn't matter when you do it. :) It'll ask you to connect to live with the new machine so that they know which xbox unit to register for the license. From there you're given a choice of queueing up items from your download history. They've certainly improved the queueing ability from download history (via the DRM transfer website) since a year or two back.

I don't think you have to transfer DRM licenses unless you are changing the console. This is simply a storage change.

you shouldn't have to do anything . You only need to change the drm liscense if you change consoles.

Amazon has the 250 gig unit for $86ish right now

I don't think you have to transfer DRM licenses unless you are changing the console. This is simply a storage change.

you shouldn't have to do anything . You only need to change the drm liscense if you change consoles.

Amazon has the 250 gig unit for $86ish right now

Ok thanks, I bought the off brand unit for $50 the reviews says it works fine *crosses fingers* It should be here maybe tomorrow or Friday

Ok thanks, I bought the off brand unit for $50 the reviews says it works fine *crosses fingers* It should be here maybe tomorrow or Friday

It's a unsanctioned chinese hacked firmware knockoff, but yeah it should be fine. One caveat though as far as I know, the knockoffs dont support backwards compatibility.

Is that safe? With the new security patch of XB360 changing the DVD drive firmware, is there the possibility of MS locking out unofficial HDDs as well?

It's a unsanctioned chinese hacked firmware knockoff, but yeah it should be fine. One caveat though as far as I know, the knockoffs dont support backwards compatibility.

Well I never owned the 1st xbox so that shouldn't be a problem I'm hoping. I'm more concerned with Shifty's comment on it not working in the future:oops:

Is that safe? With the new security patch of XB360 changing the DVD drive firmware, is there the possibility of MS locking out unofficial HDDs as well?

I'm not sure but from everything I've heard on forums they would never do this.

Personally I'd just spring for the real one, but I'm OCD like that, it would just bother me.

I dont know, these knockoff hard drives might grab Microsofts attention oneday, if they keep getting more popular. Surprised to see Amazon sells them out in the open (via resellers). They've been on ebay for a while.

If they banned them it would probably cause a firestorm of whining though, for one thing.

The user reviews on Amazon are great though, if it doesnt bother you I'm sure it's fine.

I'm not sure if MS are in their rights to disable these HDDs or not. I mean, they are certainly allowed to make updates to their system that don't work, but I don't know that they could screw up a persons XB360 for having another device they've bought attached. As you say, it's strange they are turning a blind eye to the sale on Amazon of knockoff HDDs considering they been pretty strict against unofficial add-ons. I'm inclined to think it won't be an issue, but it'd be a real PITA if they had a change of heart!

I'm not sure if MS are in their rights to disable these HDDs or not. I mean, they are certainly allowed to make updates to their system that don't work, but I don't know that they could screw up a persons XB360 for having another device they've bought attached. As you say, it's strange they are turning a blind eye to the sale on Amazon of knockoff HDDs considering they been pretty strict against unofficial add-ons. I'm inclined to think it won't be an issue, but it'd be a real PITA if they had a change of heart!

Already using my own flashed 250gig for good 5 months already.
I had a old laptop that felt my rage in a rage attack.
And by chance saw the hdd was compatible flashed it build it into the compartment and it worked. And the only spending i did was buy a compatible torx 6 screwdriver

If you've gotta spare one lying around, that definitely makes sense. You don't risk losing much if the HDD ever is made incompatible.

No, not 100% safe but... Unofficial HDDs are not locked out on the beta dashboard. I'll let you know how it goes with final release version (if it's any different).

No, not 100% safe but... Unofficial HDDs are not locked out on the beta dashboard. I'll let you know how it goes with final release version (if it's any different).

Dont think they can really do alot against it.
Should be thousand of hdd with the same id number in them.
good thing i had a hdd case laying around so i could copy my old 60 gig content.

The most they could do is ban that hdd serial number making the content on it unusable. However, I highly doubt they'd ever go that far considering how many unsuspecting users may be caught in the crossfire.

Well it came in yesterday! I had no idea how simple the "install" would be, so easy a caveman could do it lol. I was surprised that I didn't have to do anything at all, just power up the console. I went to memory settings and it said 228GB free, i just moved everything from flash drive and the internal memory and everything just worked.

* I did have to re-install the 2 disc-based games though

Just have 1 more question.....
when i just had the 4GB of internal memory I think I had 3.1GB free after mandatory system stuff, so why after putting in the 250GB did I only have 228 GB free before x/fer my files over?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back