[360, PS3] RAGE Discussion

We do want to be able to run on all the [Xbox 360] systems, so if you've got an Arcade unit, then we've got to think, "okay, we can't install massive amounts of data." If we can't guarantee that, then we have to make sure that we have a fallback, so that could push us to three. I mean, hell, it could push us to four, I don't know.

In what game is it really standard, or advisable, practice to install "massive amounts" of data anyway? What console game does that on any platform? Give me a break TH. Even installing 6 gigs or less takes quite a while, nobody is going to do 20+ GB installs or theyre going to be a laughingstock. People would have to wait two hours to play the game.

I've seen a lot of people use this argument, there seems to be this perception that if 360 had shipped with a big HD standard, there would somehow be no more DVD size limitations. Those people dont think things through very carefully. Even if you did do a huge install, even a big Hd wouldn't allow more than a couple of them before running out of space.

He also used the word "fail" in a professional interview.

Shack: How does that break between the chapters work? I mean, on Xbox 360 in particular, once you insert Disc 2, what if you want to go back to some Chapter 1 stuff?

Tim Willits: For the PC and PlayStation 3, it's the same way. There's no reason to go back. The story has a nice end, like, "okay, I'm done with this, now I'm moving forward."

Shack: So that's the part where we go to space and eventually the moon?

Tim Willits: It's not as far as space, but yeah. You don't need to go back at all. It's a sane, logical break. It won't feel that, 360 people are like "well, if I go back through this door, I need to put the other disc in." They don't have to worry about that.
[ http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1183&page=2 ]

Ok dear Mr. Willits... I'm gonna change my gaming habits and I promise you I'll never " go back " when I play an open-world game , like GTA ...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a story arc. Would you complain that in Monkey Island III, once you got to chapter 2 you couldn't go back to chapter 1? Was Driver all that bad for having four discrete, open-world cities that you couldn't travel back and forth between?

In Final Fantasy 7 there were a number of CD, and you never needed a previous CD in order to continue the game (AFAIR), and the world map was an open world...

So I really don't see the problem, it all depends on the execution, and we don't know about that yet.

Actually, I remember in FF7 there are certain items on an earlier disk that you can't get because you're too weak, but on a later disc you can travel back and whoopass and get them. In any case, disc swapping is annoying and interrupts the flow of the game.

Yeah, but in Rage's single player mode, that's clearly not going to happen. The story allows an even split more or less half-way, and there'll be no backtracking between that crossover. What they seem to be having trouble with now is the multiplayer.

Yeah, but in Rage's single player mode, that's clearly not going to happen. The story allows an even split more or less half-way, and there'll be no backtracking between that crossover.

Indeed.... FFVI does the same thing :!: (can't exactly "un-ruin" the world... :p )

There's a story arc. Would you complain that in Monkey Island III, once you got to chapter 2 you couldn't go back to chapter 1? Was Driver all that bad for having four discrete, open-world cities that you couldn't travel back and forth between?
Never played MI series so don't know , but would you like to have same kind of limitation in GTA ?.. Would you like to hear this while you are travelling the map by a plane/heli ?

" Back off heli !! Don't you ever listen to Mr. Willits?? "There's no reason to go back!" So back off!! " :smile:

Sorry , that's not the way I like ... I want freedom , that's why I love GTA series...

I guess you are taking it wrong..this game isnt supposed to be a GTA type sandbox its rather a Farcry 2 type sandbox [yes there is a difference !] , so changing into a completely new area midway through the game is completely fine whats more Farcry 2 too did something like this.

Never played MI series so don't know , but would you like to have same kind of limitation in GTA ?.. Would you like to hear this while you are travelling the map by a plane/heli ?
Except this game wouldn't be like that. It'd be GTA in New York for half the game where you can do whatever you want, and then you'd move to Chapter 2 in Las Vegas and get to do whatever you want there. If you want a single seemless world, this probably isn't the game for you. Try Sacred 2! ;)

Cant believe there was no gameplay footage of this from Gamecom. There was a demonstration, but recording was banned and we didn't even get shakycam.

I guess you are taking it wrong..this game isnt supposed to be a GTA type sandbox its rather a Farcry 2 type sandbox [yes there is a difference !] , so changing into a completely new area midway through the game is completely fine whats more Farcry 2 too did something like this.

In FC2 you could travel between the 2 areas whenever you felt like it, though.

Probably not done, but that screen that Gabrobot posted, I saw some repeating textures.

Can you point them out in the image? I don't doubt it, as if you watch them paint the surface they use repeating textures quite often, but I did not see them either.

>>Can you point them out in the image?

1.5cm right of guys mouth + also 10cm

The reason being is from the automatic texturemap creation (forget the name)
Ideally they should of just used satelitte photos, though you'ld be hard pressed to find landscape quite like this

perhaps at this place near ngawi, that I was at last month (its in lord of the rings fleetingly)
its much bigger than these photos btw
pathways2.jpg

pathways.jpg

Zed thx I see it now. They are going for a desert theme so the SW US would provide good imagery for them, but it wont work from sattelite imagery as you cannot see under cliffs and such.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=utah canyons&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Stuff like that, but as I said they need artists to paint it still one can't just use an overhead picture. I am personally enamored with such landscapes and find them quite beautiful so it may explain why I think Rage looks very nice.

1.5cm right of guys mouth + also 10cm

The reason being is from the automatic texturemap creation (forget the name)

Could it partially also be because of the pattern stamping techinique their texture artists probably are using. I mean simliar to making a texture in PS with clone/stamp tools and not actually creating repeating/tileable textures. I guess if you end up making a massive texture, the repeats of the tools would eventually become visible?

but it wont work from sattelite imagery as you cannot see under cliffs and such.
true, though I suppose they could just go out into utah like in your images link, set up a tripod, let it measure the distances to the walls + take photos at the same time, move the camera to a new location + repeat * 10-100, ok its a bit of work, then again I reckon the total area for rage is perhaps only 100km^2 or even smaller

but once youve mastered the technique you could sell the tech

Back