[360, PS3] Need For Speed: Shift

This is why Perfect Dark Zero got a 85% average score on metacritic. Anybody who has played this game now that its horribly, horribly bad. But, its a big budget launch MS X360 game. You just cannot give them a shitty score, unless you want to start paying for the game you have to review yourself.

I liked it. 85% seems reasonable to me...

I just noticed that the cars around you reflect on your own car and perhaps on each others (just a quick glimpse). Really impressive game and with such highres and very detailed reflections with AA makes the reflections look utterly impressive. :eek:

And then everything else!

You just cannot give them a shitty score, unless you want to start paying for the game you have to review yourself.

Exactly! With better business models, a publication can afford to be more forthcoming by virtue of economic independence.

I wouldn't say so. Job of the CEO of any corporation is to ensure that the mpany maximizes shareholder value. Going by their development model, i say they are doing a pretty good joob at that. After all, most of their games are not particularly good, but have extraordinarily good sales. Aspecially if you consider how good the game is in comparison. Army of Two sold what? 3 million?

Don't worry, Mr. Riccitiello won't be alone. Ian Bell should be walking the plank too. :mad:

If EA's overweening ambition is to persist as a company (right now I wish Activision would put them out of my misery!), then at some point they will need to worry about the quality of goods and services being provided as well as their own reputation.

I just noticed that the cars around you reflect on your own car and perhaps on each others (just a quick glimpse). Really impressive game and with such highres and very detailed reflections with AA makes the reflections look utterly impressive. :eek:

And then everything else!

What are you looking at – a video?!

Nebula, you have no idea how terrible this game is. SHIFT is a beta test escapee, not a retail product. :(

I wouldn't say so. Job of the CEO of any corporation is to ensure that the company maximizes shareholder value. Going by their development model, i say they are doing a pretty good joob at that. After all, most of their games are not particularly good, but have extraordinarily good sales. Aspecially if you consider how good the game is in comparison. Army of Two sold what? 3 million?

Didn't play Perfect Dark Zero. But I thought Army of 2 was a pretty decent game. And sold about what it should have, especially considering the competition (or lack of competition) at the time.

Regards,
SB

What are you looking at – a video?!

Nebula, you have no idea how terrible this game is. SHIFT is a beta test escapee, not a retail product. :(

Wha... my screen ofcourse playing the demo. IMO seems like a fine game except some bugs. Runs like a champ to. Also I think the PC version seems to have more advanced physics and such apart from graphics. :)

Also just browsed through the games archives material. Major modding potential, I mean really major modding potential. :D

Also didn't know about this..

http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-new-screens-interview/

“SHIFT is built on the most advanced physics engine we’ve made, and is by far the most advanced and realistic physics engine of any of the mainstream racing games. We’re talking about an engine that can run unlimited threads, detailed physics parameters running at around 400 Hz on consoles. Things like tire deformation based on g-forces, tire pressures, rubber thickness, which only the most diehard sim fans will notice, but we know it’s there.

I actually noticed the tire deformations/pressure.

Accuracy of tracks, real-life vs Shift. Handling is nice. I assume they have the PC version set to pro mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this and I must say as Need for Speed games go, it's actually quite enjoyable, although that wouldn't be very hard as the last few games have been absolute garbage.

The handling is rubbish (You get used to it's rubbishness though), so god knows why they even entertained the idea it's a simulation, it's not at all realistic (Racing round Brands Hatch in my works converted Corolla, after the first harpin I hit a bump and I literally flew off the track)

It lacks serious polish too, like for example at the start of most races the flag girl will be stood inside the car.

As an arcade racer with very tenuous links to realism I'd give it a 7 out of 10 judged as a simulation it gets 3 out of 10.

If EA's overweening ambition is to persist as a company (right now I wish Activision would put them out of my misery!), then at some point they will need to worry about the quality of goods and services being provided as well as their own reputation.

I think EA has been publishing great games lately... Dead Space for one was imo one of the greatest and their FIFA and NHL series are great too.

Exactly! With better business models, a publication can afford to be more forthcoming by virtue of economic independence.
There's no market that could support serious games coverage. Gamers at large don't care how arbitrary review processes are, and those who do have learned to not read them anymore.

at some point they will need to worry about the quality of goods and services being provided as well as their own reputation.
I like your idealism, but that's just not how it works. Marketing overrules everything. Product quality is nigh irrelevant to sales.

The graphics could give forza 3 a serious run for it's money.
I will wait for Forza 3 reviews, but I think I'll go with Shift.

The graphics could give forza 3 a serious run for it's money.
I will wait for Forza 3 reviews, but I think I'll go with Shift.

Indeed. And the environments make GT5's look bland. Shift shows how a London track should really be done.

From the vids one thing they got right is the cars dribbling on the road, in forza and GT cars look like hoover over the ground.
I should download the demo, it must be available now to silver accounts.

I'd love a demo but I don't think there is one on PSN. Judging by the videos, it looks too acradey for me so I'm hesitant to buy it.

I'd love a demo but I don't think there is one on PSN. Judging by the videos, it looks too acradey for me so I'm hesitant to buy it.

It is in simpler arcadish mode for their videos. You can choose pro mode which is a whole different league. Atleast on PC demo.

Downloaded the PC demo tonight. Set it to the Pro settings and it still feels a tad too arcady/floaty to me. Took me like 15-20 minutes to calibrate my DFGT to my liking, but it still feels a tad off. There's also some weird collision physics. Still a fun game and it's definitely closer to being a sim rather than an arcade racer (on Pro mode that is). They did a lot of things well too, like the cockpit view, the shaky cam and the sense of speed (although I find that they exaggerated a bit).

The settings I came up with for my DFGT were:
All Dead zones set to 0%
Steering Sensitivity - 40%
Acceleration/Brake Sensitivity - 60%
Clutch Sensitivity - 40% (although I don't think this affects my DFGT)
Speed Steering Sensitivity - 0%
Force Feedback - 10
Turning Lock - 100%
Inverse Shifting - Off
Camera Y Axis - Normal

Back