[360, PS3] Need For Speed: Shift

Same reason as why i dont like playing an FPS game with say God mode on.

I don't think that's quite the correct argument. The FPS analogy would be that, if you got shot, you always go back to the start of the level and don't use saves or checkpointing (if it's possible to bypass the latter).

I don't think that's quite the correct argument. The FPS analogy would be that, if you got shot, you always go back to the start of the level and don't use saves or checkpointing (if it's possible to bypass the latter).
Precisely.

Rewinds are a very good thing, so long as they're optional. I don't have the attention span or the patience to re-do many, many laps of long endurance races due to one mess up. I'll just turn off the controller and leave in disgust.

If you need it to be so hardcore, that's your prerogative...but let others choose to use rewind.

You can't rewind in online races anyway, and that's all that matters. I guess that as long as AI in races mostly sucks, rewind is a good feature, as long as it's optional. ;)

Since we are the only ones on the entire board that like Grid, lol, what is the verdict?

Haha, yeah it seems like it doesn't it :) I definitely like Grid more, there was just something insanely fun about that game. Maybe it wasn't realistic, maybe it was ridiculous at times, but Grid was just a blast to play. But I do like NFS Shift as well. It's not as sim as Forza, but not as arcadey as Grid, seems like it sits in the middle somewhere. Overall though, Grid gets the edge to me but NFS is definitely back in the game. Having said that, I probably will sell NFS after I get Forza3.

There was a bug in the PS3 version where damage was stuck on cosmetic - this patch fixes that.

I haven't seen a flag girl standing in, sorry, through my car since the patch either and the London Royal Mile track doesn't launch my car skywards any more, also although they still bottom out it's a lot less frequent and I am able to do more than 120 mph without the car grinding it's way down the straight.

You can't rewind in online races anyway, and that's all that matters. I guess that as long as AI in races mostly sucks, rewind is a good feature, as long as it's optional. ;)

And when it invalidates any times you set using it, it's worth deminishes in anything other then single player grinding where most people would probably welcome it anyway..

Tried the PS3 demo for this. Conclusion: seems to be a fair bit like Race Driver by Codemasters, and served as a good reminder that 30fps for this kind of racing game just really doesn't work.

And that HDR is very pretty and this doesn't have it.

Tried the PS3 demo for this. Conclusion: seems to be a fair bit like Race Driver by Codemasters, and served as a good reminder that 30fps for this kind of racing game just really doesn't work.

And that HDR is very pretty and this doesn't have it.

Really PS3 lacks HDR, no "fake HDR" (like most console games) or such?

The PC version sports fp16 HDR and tonemapping. Together with the rest of the rendering tech makes it stand out with pride.

(Motion)
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55278

Last edited by a moderator:
PRET-TY PRET-TY GOOD.

gonna try the 360 version later. looks like an intense arcade hybrid racer but I will miss the rewind feature

It got pro mode for handling and physics. You would be surprised how much of a sim this game is in pro mode if you had seen the physics files and system. Pretty much GTR2 but much uppgraded engine and a bit more forgiving override value for grip. It sports pretty much all features found on other car sims and and more and they are active bar some features (goes atleast for PC version). You know iginition key, wipers key etc. Got everything in like a true sim but pitstops off and some other visual stuff and functions. Well it is made by those behind hardcore sims sooo.. :LOL:

They also need to fix up some bugs and tunning slider labels.

Btw I noticed something I read another person point out. Namely that skidmarks stays on tracks even when reloading game or throught your profile use (I assume there is a limit though). Was wondering why Laguna Seca had this U-turn skidmark I recall making some days ago when testing the car. So I created a new profile and dang the track was pretty much clean! :oops:

EDIT: GOTY

So I tried the PS3 demo after the PC demo (same content) and I can't believe how much different it feels using the Driving Force GT... I had to calibrate the wheel settings extensively to get it to feel somewhat right on the PC, but I didn't have to change much at all in the PS3 demo. Also, I dunno if you need drivers for the PC, but there was no force feedback, just a slight resistance on the PC whereas it was in full effect on PS3.

I must say, the driving physics feel a lot better than they did on the PC, but that's probably due to the fact that the wheel was already calibrated right, and there was actually FF; but it still feels slightly off and slightly arcadey. The gas and brake are A LOT more sensitive than they are in GT... driving a RWD car, even if you have the pedal not even 1/4 down coming out of a turn, your tail kicks out a lot. If you turn down the acceleration sensitivity then your speed drastically reduces, so you really have to feather the gas (especially with the Zonda).

What bothered me was, once again, the collision physics and the AI seems to always try to spin you out by nudging your tail. At the start of a race at turn 1, I'm always lucky to get by cleanly without a big chaotic bumper cars match in which I dunno what the hell is going on because of the blurring. The cars seem to be too light. But once I get past everyone though, I can race my race. :D

Still on the fence but leaning towards a bargain bin buy.

edit: used Pro settings btw.

So I tried the PS3 demo after the PC demo (same content) and I can't believe how much different it feels using the Driving Force GT... I had to calibrate the wheel settings extensively to get it to feel somewhat right on the PC, but I didn't have to change much at all in the PS3 demo. Also, I dunno if you need drivers for the PC, but there was no force feedback, just a slight resistance on the PC whereas it was in full effect on PS3.

I must say, the driving physics feel a lot better than they did on the PC, but that's probably due to the fact that the wheel was already calibrated right, and there was actually FF; but it still feels slightly off and slightly arcadey. The gas and brake are A LOT more sensitive than they are in GT... driving a RWD car, even if you have the pedal not even 1/4 down coming out of a turn, your tail kicks out a lot. If you turn down the acceleration sensitivity then your speed drastically reduces, so you really have to feather the gas (especially with the Zonda).

What bothered me was, once again, the collision physics and the AI seems to always try to spin you out by nudging your tail. At the start of a race at turn 1, I'm always lucky to get by cleanly without a big chaotic bumper cars match in which I dunno what the hell is going on because of the blurring. The cars seem to be too light. But once I get past everyone though, I can race my race. :D

Still on the fence but leaning towards a bargain bin buy.

edit: used Pro settings btw.

The beauty is a few config files control AI and physcs overrides. Just tweaking some of the multiplier unlocks much of the heavy sim it really is. ;)

Anyway love this circuit. The up and downhills are rewarding!

Not for me. Played the demo a few times. Enough for me to laugh and turn it off promptly. Stick to either sim or arcarde. There's no "best of both" as many games have proven over the years.

Well yes but that would only leave some serious racing games on PC as true sim options I guess.

Played the demo. Deleted the demo... ;)

Hmm I never tried the demo, just got the game straight up from a friend at EA. I hear you though, between Grid and Forza we're totally covered on racing anyways. I just uninstalled NFS from my 360 though, had fun with it but off to ebay it goes. Now I've moved on to Ghostbusters which is really good fun :)

After reading a few impressions on here, I thought I should take a look at the [PS3] demo.

I have to say, I am very impressed. I've only played Pro mode, with all the assists turned off, no traction controll and only drove the Elise. I like it. A lot more real than I thought it would be. It's a real shame it only runs at 30fps.

I did find the whole cockpit view more authentic and immersive than GT5.

Back