[360, PS3] Aliens vs Predator

Odd, as finding matches has been painful for me. The only thing more painful was the gameplay. the game could end up being good, but what they showed isn't great. A Horde style mode or scenario mode would have been better than what is essentially death match. And I can sympathize with the poor review in that the demo, at least, doesn't really engage you to enjoy each class differently. I have played less than an hour, but the sense I got was, "Ok, how do I do this <whhhap!> Uhhmm I am dead, and still don't know what I was trying to do. So this Preditor has no gu....<whaaaack!> Grrrr dead again, ok, lets go cloa.....<slicediceslice> Hmmmm."

I would give the game more of a chance but it seems the demo is shallow and impossible for me to get a connection.

Well per usual people who wanted to hate this game are pointing to the G.I. review as absolute proof. This Ben guy is a total imbecile.

I mean what a total sham. Seriously no second opinion? Nothing of any sort?

I don't get people who constantly accuse it of being "ugly to look at" either. I thought the graphics were outstanding in the Demo (of all things!).

Maybe I'm just an idiot.

should be " i always find matches in less then 10 minutes" ...

That's probably your experience but definitely not mine as I always find matches in under a minute...I have no reason to lie about that as that is my experience with how long it takes ME to find a match..Hope you comprehend that.

so its only me and people im playing with who is complaining about that? sounds ...strange. And as long as we all are connected to same network results should be similar....hope you comprehend that;)

should be " i always find matches in less then 10 minutes" ...

AFAIK there should be a patch for 360 demo to fix match making. It is already fixed with patch on PC making wait generally less than a minute.

And I can sympathize with the poor review in that the demo, at least, doesn't really engage you to enjoy each class differently.

Actually, it does exactly that. The narrow confines of the demo level and the deathmatch setting mean that there's little else to focus on but learning how to use your class properly. Or you're just gonna die a lot.

There's no exploring in this demo. You're not going to get away with sniping from some corner. It's all brutal in your face action.

I have played less than an hour, but the sense I got was, "Ok, how do I do this <whhhap!> Uhhmm I am dead, and still don't know what I was trying to do. So this Preditor has no gu....<whaaaack!> Grrrr dead again, ok, lets go cloa.....<slicediceslice> Hmmmm."

I would give the game more of a chance but it seems the demo is shallow and impossible for me to get a connection.

This is not a game that is going to reveal its beauty in an hour. I was certainly mainly very confused at that point. But I've found that it is quite the opposite of shallow.

Analyze what happens around you and get a hold of controls. It will help alot and enhance experience. At first with demo I was dying a lot not really being able to handle the aliens nor predators particularly well. However by analyzing skilled players fighting style and thinking tactical I rapidly got a hold of the controls, functions and applying this in hectic scenes with tactics making me a respectable opponent.

It is just about accepting the step learning curve and flow with it by own experimental experience and by observing. This what in some hours took me from noob to top scoring player with any race and situation. This game really requires much tactics and rapid thinking, this is not your average 'run n gun' mindless game like MW2 or such. Think '3D' not '2D'. :smile:

I recorded these videos of PC AvP demo with tips. Now this is PC controls but translate controls to 360/PS3 pad input as the functions are same AFAIK. Some short clips with some tips as I actually did not intend to have tips with videos at all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a game that is going to reveal its beauty in an hour. I was certainly mainly very confused at that point. But I've found that it is quite the opposite of shallow.
Well, I think Sega/Rebellion screwed up here. The 360 demo reminds me of a Q3 deathmatch (both visually and gameplay-wise). If they think this game is so fantastic that people will suffer through this crap for hours on their own just to figure out his to play it, then they are quite frankly deluded. It's not like there aren't better/more fun demos/games to check out. So far, this demo has placed the game into the "don't waste your time with it" column for me. And I really wanted to like it too.

Well, I think Sega/Rebellion screwed up here. The 360 demo reminds me of a Q3 deathmatch (both visually and gameplay-wise). If they think this game is so fantastic that people will suffer through this crap for hours on their own just to figure out his to play it, then they are quite frankly deluded. It's not like there aren't better/more fun demos/games to check out. So far, this demo has placed the game into the "don't waste your time with it" column for me. And I really wanted to like it too.

Perhaps an SP demo would've been a better choice and this is indeed something of a mistake.

But if anything, I think that more people have a problem with it NOT being very similar to a Q3 deathmatch. If it were, there wouldn't be these complaints about the rather steep learning curve.

I like accessible games as much as the next guy but it looks like this won't be one of those. Still, after the initial hurdles, I'm finding it very rewarding.

so its only me and people im playing with who is complaining about that? sounds ...strange. And as long as we all are connected to same network results should be similar....hope you comprehend that;)

My friends and I always find matches relatively quickly..Maybe you and your friends just have crappy internet connections...Anyways, I think the game is fun but I understand some people get frustated with the game since it plays differently from fps games like Battlefield, Halo, COD...I was reading on Teamxbox that Rebellion put up on tutorial on how to play the game..You guys shoud check that out..

It wouldn't be so bad that if in 3 nights I could get a match 1 time. Totally pathetic and inexcusable. How are you to even try the game? I don't think you can even start your own little room and try things out. "Our game has a learning curve--but you cannot get on and play to learn muwahaha." Not the way to sell a game.

I was interested in this game, now my interest shifts to GearBox's squad based version.

My friends and I always find matches relatively quickly..Maybe you and your friends just have crappy internet connections...Anyways, I think the game is fun but I understand some people get frustated with the game since it plays differently from fps games like Battlefield, Halo, COD...I was reading on Teamxbox that Rebellion put up on tutorial on how to play the game..You guys shoud check that out..

:rolleyes: matchmaking its crappy period. 100mb/s connection its quite fast for online gaming

No problems at all finding a match on the PC version... ever. Always in a game in one minute max.

I only tried the PS3 demo once and it took a lot longer, but still had a game going in 5 mins or so.

IGN UK Review - 8.5

8.5 Presentation
A slick front-end is befitting of an experience so indebted to cinema, and the whole show moves along smoothly.

7.5 Graphics
Easily AvP's weakest hand, what's on offer is little better than first generation offerings on console. It's ultimately saved by expert working of the assets, however.

9.0 Sound
Each iconic element of the films has been captured perfectly, from the burst of a Pulse Rifle to the click of the Predator, and it's backed by a soundtrack that pilfers the best from the movies.

8.0 Gameplay
It may feel dated but that doesn't stop it from being riotous fun as both the opportunity to play as these fabled beasts and the ensuing variety ensure it's never less than fun.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
It's a generous package whichever way you slice it, with three separate campaigns combining with multiplayer modes that are equally plentiful.

O Rly ?
SSAO,Breakable lights sources, Custom AA with HDR , lots of shaders....first Gen ? :)

IGN UK Review - 8.5

O Rly ?
SSAO,Breakable lights sources, Custom AA with HDR , lots of shaders....first Gen ? :)

... deffered renderer, all dynamic lightsources, most lightsources or all cast shadows including flashlights and flares, quality motionblur... very high quality shadows for world. That and visuals cant be compared to first gen games. Well there are vids in this thread from singleplayer console session.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, all those tech buzz words and it still looks like crap. Atleast the 360 demo did.

Perhaps there's a lesson there for those that like to play "checkbox wars". :D

Back