[360, PS3] Aliens vs Predator

THe PC AvP was GREAT .
This version somehow lacks the mood of those gmes in terms of visuals. Looks too Black n White and soulless. I am not even feeling like chking out the demo by watching the trailers :( ! ANyways, the demo is MP, while AvP is primarily a SP experience !

True pc avp was great but this one will be even greater. I dont know how do you get impression that this version lack something its clearly avp as we all know visuals, sound, mood you name it it has all. First and second avp was great in sp but mp was always kinda is there and thats what you really can say about it. This one shows that they can do mp wich is fun to play and well balanced wich i suposed is not so easy to achive.

BTW i love predator hud i would like to reach have something like that.
gamespot has new podcast with avp marine sp preview and looks really good.

survival coop for 4 players will be blast im 100% sure.

The demo is great! However I'm left thinking it will look far better than what is actually being rendered on my 360 given that:

1. It is demo code
2. The XBL demo (>800MB) is 500MB or so smaller than the PSN\PC demo (1200MB)

Asura sure is a fine engine! It had me fooled for awhile as UE3.. This game is definitely spectacular in just about every way. The gameplay is awesome and balanced*, graphics are terrific, and finally we have some good ol' fashioned gore! Very few games these days have it.

*I think the Predator should spawn with the spear (or some ranged weapon, like the smart disc) and have his heavy hit slowed down a bit. I play as alien almost exclusively, and while the alien tail (Heavy hit) has greater range than the Predator heavy hit, it's noticeably slower to charge up and unleash.

Leaving me vulnerable to his blade thrust.

However this could be offset by the fact that alien is considerably faster and more agile, in addition to having some pretty long range pounce\attacks. Like the focus button + melee.

The marine weapons need to be buffed. The flamethrower and shotgun are jokes, and are hardly worth carrying along\trading the Pulse Rifle. Not even the Smart Gun is terribly useful..

Thoughts?

The demo is great! However I'm left thinking it will look far better than what is actually being rendered on my 360 given that:

1. It is demo code
2. The XBL demo (>800MB) is 500MB or so smaller than the PSN\PC demo (1200MB)

Asura sure is a fine engine! It had me fooled for awhile as UE3.. This game is definitely spectacular in just about every way. The gameplay is awesome and balanced*, graphics are terrific, and finally we have some good ol' fashioned gore! Very few games these days have it.

*I think the Predator should spawn with the spear (or some ranged weapon, like the smart disc) and have his heavy hit slowed down a bit. I play as alien almost exclusively, and while the alien tail (Heavy hit) has greater range than the Predator heavy hit, it's noticeably slower to charge up and unleash.

Leaving me vulnerable to his blade thrust.

However this could be offset by the fact that alien is considerably faster and more agile, in addition to having some pretty long range pounce\attacks. Like the focus button + melee.

The marine weapons need to be buffed. The flamethrower and shotgun are jokes, and are hardly worth carrying along\trading the Pulse Rifle. Not even the Smart Gun is terribly useful..

Thoughts?

The flamethrower is crap but the shotgun is quite deadly..I've gotten the majority of my kills with the Pulse Rifle and shotgun.For some bizarre reason, the Smart Gun really sucks..I hope in the final version, the flamethrower and Smart Gun are actually dangerous and powerful..

What a dreadful piece of garbage this (360) demo is. I'm not even going to get into to how laughable the visuals are. The gameplay is . . . well . . . like eating a dirt sandwich. I am now convinced some developers just don't "get" it.

What a dreadful piece of garbage this (360) demo is. I'm not even going to get into to how laughable the visuals are. The gameplay is . . . well . . . like eating a dirt sandwich. I am now convinced some developers just don't "get" it.

haha! that's awesome :LOL:

I DL it and will fire it up once though but it's not my thing anyway as I don't do inside corridor shooters

I wanted to like this but it took fooooorever to start a match, and they really needed a basic tutorial to learn how to use the characters.

Game Informer gave it a 5.75/10.

Still haven't got into a game yet.

Seems awfully low but I read some of the negative highlights from that review posted in a thread and that was enough to discard that review as pure garbage. Complaining about marines having radar beeps that takes away suspension... predators relying on stealth... it is to dark... blah blah.. negative? :LOL:

And to make the statements in review with such lines as the ones below is...

"Surprisingly Rebellions previous AvP title was recieved well".

"Worst of all, the Xenomorphas ability to walk on walls makes navigating the world a disorientating affair."

"Sound: Listening to aliens crawl through vents and jump out at you would be scary if your motion sensor wasn't constantly bleating in your ear the whole time."

"focus on stealth, limited melee, and linear level design made me want to hang up my hunter's dreds"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people are going into this expecting a typical FPS experience. It decidedly isn't.

For a custom game engine this game looks pretty fantastic. The character models in particular are really impressive, especially when you get up close for a stealth kill. The sounds are also excellent as well, in particular the Marine assault rifle and proximity scanner, the Xenomorph's hiss and death squeal along with the sound of the Preadtor's visor switching modes.

I really like the fact that each class is distinct and requires you to play in a very different manner. I'll echo the earlier statement made with regards to the Predator lacking a good starting range weapon. Something like the throwing disc would be a great starting weapon, especially if they toned it down so instead of killing with one hit in temporarily stunned the enemy so you could get up close to melee/stealth kill. Then they could have the Spear as the weapon above that, and the shoulder cannon as his most powerful weapon. I also think that when he is in stealth mode the Aliens should not be able to see an outline of his body as that kind of defeats the purpose of using it. The Marines and Xenomorph's are fine just as they are, although it would be nice to see the flame thrower and auto-gun beefed up a bit for release.

All in all, it seems like a pretty fantastic game which I find surprising, and I look forward to playing more of the game modes when the final game is released.

Some singleplayer videos with console gameplay of marine campaign and interview to.

Seems awfully low but I read some of the negative highlights from that review posted in a thread and that was enough to discard that review as pure garbage. Complaining about marines having radar beeps that takes away suspension... predators relying on stealth... it is to dark... blah blah.. negative? :LOL:

And to make the statements in review with such lines as the ones below is...

GI expected the game to control like Halo or COD and its apparent they are not even fans of the Alien and Predator movies..I'd take their useless "review" with a grain of salt as it doesn't mean anything to me...

So all GI has complained about was pretty much everything that makes the game so unique and interesting to play, must admit the review is very unfair. I enjoyed the first two a lot so if avp3 is simply a better looking and longer version of them I'd be content already. Have my Survivor edition pre-ordered today too.

Graphics are promising (custom AA & ssao, at least on 360). MP demo was absolute garbage. Should have done the survival mode or team DM. The movies were partially about being on a team that got wasted bit by bit. :|

Gimme SP demo plskthnxbai

So all GI has complained about was pretty much everything that makes the game so unique and interesting to play, must admit the review is very unfair. I enjoyed the first two a lot so if avp3 is simply a better looking and longer version of them I'd be content already. Have my Survivor edition pre-ordered today too.

i dont get this review either. And if new avp is at least as good as old ones i will buy it for sure.

Finally got into a game..but with only 3 players. IMO the sounds are awful! The marine's default weapon is just grating. The radar blip when there's nothing around you is too loud...and a little pointless. You only really need a blip sound to tell you when there's something nasty nearby, not to tell you that there isn't :neutral: but when something does come your way the radar sound is suitable and builds up suspense nicely.

Controls on PS3 seem a little off, no manual aim and fire command is on R2, which I hate. Gameplay was nothing special but I'm sure that was down to the weird choice of demo, survival mode will be good with that type of gunplay I think. One thing I did not like was spwaning right in front of a predator who insta killed me from behind! :devilish:

Graphically..I really don't see why they couldn't just use UE3. Looks identical. Texture filtering seems limited, there's no SSAO that I could see and the jaggies swim like mad :???: Though a very stable framerate, no tearing (I think), nice motion blur and no lag.

I'll try to get into a game again if they fix the issues with matchmaking, and my opinion may change if I get to play as an alien or predator.

Graphics are promising (custom AA & ssao, at least on 360). MP demo was absolute garbage. Should have done the survival mode or team DM. The movies were partially about being on a team that got wasted bit by bit. :|

Gimme SP demo plskthnxbai
So no SSAO on the PS3 version either? I read it doesn't have custom AA from the tech thread.

Haha, that's a good enough reason for me AlS.

Some singleplayer videos with console gameplay of marine campaign and interview to.
Hope the species campaign would last at least 5-6hours each especially the marine one, love the claustrophobic atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back