360 HD-DVD Rumours - $170 in JPN? 1080p and MCE compatability?

Oh OK...So back on topic...

So what can we expect for the US?? I think we can safely assume this drive will be no more than $200 US.

Let's be generous and say at $400 for the A1.

As a current 360 owner, this still to me, is a no brainer. At this point, it's an automatic purchase for me. I am not really looking to spend at the least $500 on a PS3 in the next 2 years. Currently, I only own a 720p(native)/1080i LCD, with no plans to upgrade until about 20-30 months from now. I also use the VGA cable.

I could easily see myself getting a PS3, and a new TV in the next 20-30 months, if not expect to get both. I could also add a stand alone HD DVD (depending which/if format wins) player as well in the same time span.

Personally, there is almost no reason I can find that would make me not want to get this add-on at launch (if avialable.) I don't see many people state the same, but I can't be the only one riding this boat.

The only bad thing I can get out of it is that I have to wait to own my own PS3?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll definitely get it if it's under 200, and will most likely switch to VGA so I can take advantage of the 1080p movie aspect.

The only bad thing I can get out of it is that I have to wait to own my own PS3?

That's not necessarily a bad thing. You'll already have a next-gen system and also a HD movie format. You can get the PS3 at a better deal later on and they'll have worked out the hardware kinks.

I'll most likely get it and Wii at launch though, I'm a sucker for system launches ;)

Back