[360] Halo 3: ODST

As long as HALO3 ODST doesn't try to change the HALO gameplay in order to appeal to the COD crowd, I'll be ok with it.

vanquish,

do you have a source for your info or is it speculation? I was hoping after watching the Landfall vid that the MP would be something akin to a class-type FPS.

In the vid you had a medic, infantry, rocket launcher (heavy weapon?), etc.

I'm also curious as to what visual style they will be going for.

Hopefully Bungie will release some information soon.

I'm not making it up, check Bungie.com and read their weekly updates for the past couple of months.

Here's an interview with one of the designers as well (I actually got joystiq to ask the AA questio, didn't get much of an answer though) http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/15/joystiq-interview-bungies-jarrard-talks-halo-3-recon-new-wea/#continued

I. like you was hoping for some ODST MP action, (also I was hoping for SP to be third person squad based shooter with cover etc). There may be ODST gametypes with tweaked player attributes though, like I have pointed out before.

As for visual style they have some concept art up on Bungie.com
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16545
But I think it will look pretty similar to H3, the project is too small to justify a radical departure in style and due to the small size of the team they'll be looking to reuse as many H3 asset's as possible.

Why is it so small, though? It's been two years since Halo 3's release, they already have an engine and, indeed, most of the assets. Why shouldn't we expect something bigger?

Why is it so small, though? It's been two years since Halo 3's release, they already have an engine and, indeed, most of the assets. Why shouldn't we expect something bigger?

It's only a small number of people working on it, and they say they only really started about the time it was announced.

I'm not making it up, check Bungie.com and read their weekly updates for the past couple of months.

Here's an interview with one of the designers as well (I actually got joystiq to ask the AA questio, didn't get much of an answer though) http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/15/joystiq-interview-bungies-jarrard-talks-halo-3-recon-new-wea/#continued

I. like you was hoping for some ODST MP action, (also I was hoping for SP to be third person squad based shooter with cover etc). There may be ODST gametypes with tweaked player attributes though, like I have pointed out before.

As for visual style they have some concept art up on Bungie.com
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16545
But I think it will look pretty similar to H3, the project is too small to justify a radical departure in style and due to the small size of the team they'll be looking to reuse as many H3 asset's as possible.

vanquish,

I've followed those same interviews as well. I missed the Bungie update as I only look on there every few weeks or so.

I didn't really see where they talk about the gameplay elements. Would it be similar to Halo or otherwise. There will be co-op, but will each member in the team have different skills attributes ala Brute Force (but done right of course) or will they all be the same with different skins.

I will be very happy if it matches the feel of this concept in particular.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/JKLSKESUDLD/concept_art/environments/Halo3-ODST_EnvConcept-06.jpg

I'm very excited for what Bungie turns out next. T

vanquish,

I've followed those same interviews as well. I missed the Bungie update as I only look on there every few weeks or so.

I didn't really see where they talk about the gameplay elements. Would it be similar to Halo or otherwise. There will be co-op, but will each member in the team have different skills attributes ala Brute Force (but done right of course) or will they all be the same with different skins.

I will be very happy if it matches the feel of this concept in particular.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/JKLSKESUDLD/concept_art/environments/Halo3-ODST_EnvConcept-06.jpg

I'm very excited for what Bungie turns out next. T

I was talking about the MP which will be identical to H3 ie. not based off the ODST campaign, like some here thought.

They haven't unveiled much of the SP yet but I think they did mention that each squad member will have specialized abilities/equipment.

Bungie always has great concept art, it's the implementation that was the problem in H3.

I think it will look fairly similar (read the response to graphic improvements in that Joystiq interview I posted) and anyway we're all spoiled by KZ2 now, so I doubt it will be noteworthy (graphically).

It's only a small number of people working on it, and they say they only really started about the time it was announced.

What was Bungie doing in the interim, then? I mean, it can't have been a huge surprise that they were going to do a new Halo game.

What was Bungie doing in the interim, then? I mean, it can't have been a huge surprise that they were going to do a new Halo game.

New IP, only a small splinter group from the larger Bungie team is working on ODST.

They probably have some input into other Halo projects as well, like Wingnut Interactive's Halo Chronicles and the Halo 4 which is being developed by MS new Halo Team.

Very small team, completely campaign focused as far as we know. And since the hub world should be set at night w/ rain, I expect that at least to look gorgeous (see Floodgate). The engine is more than capable if it emphasizes its strengths (high-contrast lighting) and downplays its weaknesses (sharp edges). I was saddened by the lack of (unfloodified) Covenant environments in Halo 3's campaign, because they typify what the engine does right IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very small team, completely campaign focused as far as we know. And since the hub world should be set at night w/ rain, I expect that at least to look gorgeous (see Floodgate). The engine is more than capable if it emphasizes its strengths (high-contrast lighting) and downplays its weaknesses (sharp edges).

I'm sorry but high contrast is what makes aliasing, so that is not a strength IMO. now if you made every level about sun light coming through trees it might work.

I'm sorry but high contrast is what makes aliasing, so that is not a strength IMO. now if you made every level about sun light coming through trees it might work.
Let my phrase that a bit more clearly. When I refer to the high-contrast lighting I am refering to light sources specifically, rather than light cast on geometry. Essentially all the pretty glowy bits you get on many Covenant designs. Best examples would be the very beginning of Sierra 117 (light is diffused through trees, but most of the grove is in shadow), the end of Tsavo Highway (again, in the shadow of the cliff with a nice blue hue and the contrast of bright sky overhead), or Floodgate (in darkness with lots of bright embers/fires). Situations which emphasize light but do not actually create harsh contrast within the environmental geometry. Hopefully that makes some amount of sense...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very small team, completely campaign focused as far as we know. And since the hub world should be set at night w/ rain, I expect that at least to look gorgeous (see Floodgate). The engine is more than capable if it emphasizes its strengths (high-contrast lighting) and downplays its weaknesses (sharp edges). I was saddened by the lack of (unfloodified) Covenant environments in Halo 3's campaign, because they typify what the engine does right IMHO.

The natural sun light the engine is capable of is great, the indoor lighting is rather flat. Not sure if at night with rain is such a great thing gameplay-wise, it will look pretty but limit the visibility of the enemies, which will either require the game to highlight them in the visor or make spotting enemies more difficult.

Well I'm assuming that is the primary reason the visor exists, as well as the GPS. But just reading about how the hub world will work, combined with the experience of playing 4-player co-op again in Halo 3... It reminds me that there is an extremely good reason to be excited for the campaign experience. :)

Well I'm assuming that is the primary reason the visor exists, as well as the GPS. But just reading about how the hub world will work, combined with the experience of playing 4-player co-op again in Halo 3... It reminds me that there is an extremely good reason to be excited for the campaign experience. :)

It'd be weird (but funny, I guess) if ODST's visors had more features than the Spartans'.

Back