[360] Halo 3: ODST

Thanks a lot for the link. There were a lot on nice goodies in there. Especially one of your quotes I had no idea about, that the game world would be much more open, or even totally open, this time, which I think is a big departure from the standard Halo games. This sounds great to me and remind actually a bit more how Halo looked when it was announced for the Mac...

A sort of "behind enemy lines" stealth/action game in an open world sounds cool. If that's what it turns out to be, call me interested. Possibility of this being the first Halo title I'll have ever bought.

I wonder how its longevity will hold up with only 4 or so missions. Will there be side quests, or just collect the skulls type fetch quests to do after the main story is finished.

And if they plan on doing a sandbox approach to gameplay, the AI would need to be quite varied and interesting, increased environmental interaction would also be welcome (eg. allow you to create traps and obstacles).

Hopefully they'll overhaul the graphics a bit, perhaps add AA to their renderer, or some depth of field at least. The art should also be less colourful, and more in keeping with the style used in the Landfall live-action short.

Rumor

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/946/946739p1.html

Halo 3: ODST Will be Downloadable (and at Retail)
We all know Halo 3: ODST isn't a full sequel. We also know it runs on the Halo 3 engine. Add those facts to Microsoft's ever increasing push for Xbox Live and digital distribution and you've got yourself the perfect vehicle to get even more people on the downloading bandwagon. Just the same way Bungie promotes new map packs with little messages each time you sign in to Xbox Live, we're betting you'll see prompts to download the latest Halo adventure this fall.
Sony already pushed one game out that did this with Warhawk. We don't expect Microsoft to be behind the curve on any digital trends for too long.

Sony already pushed one game out that did this with Warhawk

Warhawk, GTP5, SOCOM, Burnout Paradise, Siren, Quest for Booty, etc. All have BD and Digital versions in at least one territory.

You trade resale and DRM issues for not having the disc in the drive. Options are nice.

Their concept art has always looked pretty darn good. :)

Sad to hear we won't be fighting elites at all. :(

I wonder if this concept art will translate into in game visuals, or will it just look like Halo 3 did with a different HUD.

I have this very strong feeling Bungie's incredibly uncreative idea of a "twist" is that it will eventually be revealed we are playing a female in ODST under the armor. Bungie is creatively bankrupt imo, and I think this old cliche is surely what they will do.

Some of the concept art looks vaguely feminine to me, though I certainly guessed this before I saw any of it. I could be wrong I guess.

I am very excited for this game... esp since it is dark... I hope the main character is pleasing however.

Now what would be awesome would be a Halo game that's similar to System Shock 2. Except instead of Shodan, you have the Flood...

I'd cream my pants if something like that came out and was done well.

Regards,
SB

I just went and watched the Halo Landfall videos again.

It is very well put together and really has me having high hopes of what Halo ODST could be like.

There is a lot of tension and action in those scenes. I could easily get behind a Halo movie made in that style.

I just went and watched the Halo Landfall videos again.

It is very well put together and really has me having high hopes of what Halo ODST could be like.

There is a lot of tension and action in those scenes. I could easily get behind a Halo movie made in that style.

The trailer Bungie showed off at either E3 '06 or '07 was pretty impressive considering it was running in real time on an Xbox 360. I hope with the time they have had to get used to developing for the Xbox 360 they can implement something visually closer to that.

The trailer Bungie showed off at either E3 '06 or '07 was pretty impressive considering it was running in real time on an Xbox 360. I hope with the time they have had to get used to developing for the Xbox 360 they can implement something visually closer to that.

Which trailer is that? Was it the H3 announcement trailer prior to the Ark opening?

It makes you wonder if Bungie had Recon planned a while ago because Landfall is all about the ODST. Some hints of this is that the ODST are:

Fighting only Brutes and no Elites.
It occurs right before the Master Chief lands prior to the start of Halo 3.
Possibility for different classes (noticed a medic)
The HUD the ODST has could be indicative of Recon.

The Recon trailer appears to be a lone ODST behind enemy lines, where Landfall is more squad based with team work.

Which trailer is that? Was it the H3 announcement trailer prior to the Ark opening?

It makes you wonder if Bungie had Recon planned a while ago because Landfall is all about the ODST. Some hints of this is that the ODST are:

Fighting only Brutes and no Elites.
It occurs right before the Master Chief lands prior to the start of Halo 3.
Possibility for different classes (noticed a medic)
The HUD the ODST has could be indicative of Recon.

The Recon trailer appears to be a lone ODST behind enemy lines, where Landfall is more squad based with team work.

I do hope it involves teamwork. I doubt we'll have a real-time squad tactics like SWAT 3, but something like Republic Commando or even Freedom Fighters would be great.

It's going to be a challenge for Bungie to keep the look of the Halo universe while trying incorporate something different.

I don't mind if they go for something very different looking than the Halo palette (it has kind of worn on me). I'm not looking for Gears or KZ2 gritty, but maybe something in between that and Halo 3 would be pretty cool.

I can't wait till they give us some kind of hint on what to expect.

I remember that E306 announcement trailer, looked awesome. When I saw it I realised what Bungie meant by Halo 3 would not ape GoW's ridiculous detail but still look good in it's own right.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10454.html

Too bad the final game watered down the graphics a lot, with a resolution decrease, depth of field effects removed and no AA/AF. Halo 3's 'clean' art style really needs AA to make it work, and it looks fantastic in that announcement trailer.

Master Chief's armor in the trailer is also much better looking that the one in the final game. Since this was all running in real time (Bungie even detached the camera and moved it around the scene in a vidoc), I wonder why the final IQ was so much lower in the final game, which had another year of development time behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that E306 announcement trailer, looked awesome. When I saw it I realised what Bungie meant by Halo 3 would not ape GoW's ridiculous detail but still look good in it's own right.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10454.html

Too bad the final game watered down the graphics a lot, with a resolution decrease, depth of field effects removed and no AA. Halo 3's 'clean' art style really needs AA to make it work, and it looks fantastic in that announcement trailer.

Master Chief's armor in the trailer is also much better looking that the one in the final game. Since this was all running in real time (Bungie even detached the camera and moved it around the scene in a vidoc), I wonder why the final IQ was so much lower in the final game, which had another year of development time behind it.

Yeah, that was the trailer I was referencing in my original post. What a great trailer over all, it really got me hyped for Halo 3 with its great graphics and epic build up. In the end though, the game looked no where near that good lol. The Master Cheif's visor did not have the real time reflection, his armor looked no where near as detailed, and like you mentioned the effects overall just looked to have taken a hit. I had thought that maybe the games textures and effects had to be toned down a bit to get it to fit onto a DVD, considering the single player campaign is quite large along with having to fit the multiplayer portion of the game on a single disc all while being HD. If you ask me, that trailer is still one of the best I have ever seen on Xbox.

Tech Demo and actual game are two different beasts, same reason why MGS4 looks worse than the E3 tech demo.

Tech Demo and actual game are two different beasts, same reason why MGS4 looks worse than the E3 tech demo.

Did you ever watch the short documentary on the Halo 3 E3 video? One of the developers promises the graphics will be the same, oops.

Back